TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

04 Silverado Leveling Kit/Shocks/Stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Silverado Leveling Kit/Shocks/Stabilizer?

Hi,
Just about to pull the trigger on a leveling kit for a 04 Silverado 1500 (non HD) base model work truck. Cant afford a full lift kit, as well this is surprise truck for my dad and he wouldnt be able to get into something too tall. Just looking to put on some 285/75/16 radial mudders for a good hunting machine and quad hauler. I was hesitant about messing with torsion bars, but I only need a few inches and want to get rid of the rake too. Now there are tons of different companies selling keys, as well people using Ford keys, but some kits have shock extensions, and Readylift also says something about having their own "special" bolts so you cant overcrank the bars, and it still "stock" like ride and geometry...but Ive read on plenty of boards that it doesnt matter its just as "bad" as cranking torsion bars.

So just asking for opinions or experience, which kit did you go with, did it have shock extensions and exactly how many inches did you go? Is 2" a good # to get a lift but not push the limits? Favorite shock brand and model for this application, and steering stabilizer if you put one on?

Vote for Leveling kit?
ORUs with shocks included?
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dCategory=1503
Readylift with shock ext and "special bolts" to avoid overcranking?
http://www.readylift.com/c-35-silver...-6-lug-25.aspx
Suspension MAXX with some special center hub to key to make adj more precise? http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/

Or just the cheapest keys like Rough Country?

Shocks, been looking at Bilstein heavy duty, Rancho 5000 or RSX, Skyjacker, Edlebrock, etc?

I may end up with 265/75/16 only because I found a cheap set of almost new Firestone MTs for $400, which is half the price of the 285 BFG KM2s or SS Trxus I was planning on. But I still want it leveled. If i get the used tires and stick with the stock steelies, thats roughly $800 I could possibly spend on intake and exhaust.

THANKS for any and all suggestions, experience, or opinioins!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id just go with the ebay kit or the rough country kit.i paid 350 for mine and that was installed with 4 shocks.
everybody else will say get ford keys and blah blah blah whatever...if i wanted ford parts id buy a ford

just buy a muffler and have it welded in place of the stock one,then get an airaid jr kit and a tune and roll with it.

tires-if you could find some 17's you could go with 255/75/17 bfg mud there 400 shipped off ebay brand spankin new
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Actually there do seem to be a lot of brand new take off 17s from pickups and Escalades on Craigs List....but I thought it would be a #$%$%% finding good tires on 17" cheap, I have a HOV8 WJ Columbia that came with 17"s, and replacement treads cost way more than 16"...so I just assumed it would be the same for LT tires, but heck if I can get brand new BFGs for $400, maybe I will look into some of the stock take off 17s!!

So you did the RC keys and shocks? Do you know if RC puts longer shocks on the front with that kit or extensions? Do you like the shocks that came with that kit?

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM

wow....why the heck are those tires so cheap, I just did see them on Ebay out of Ohio....thats weird, for nearly 33" tall mud radials that is dirt dirt cheap, so freaking cheap its worth looking to buy some used Escalade take offs and throwing them on there, still coming out cheaper than brand new 285/75/16s on the stock ugly steelies...
Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

pm blackjacket on here I believe he still has his kit for sale, its the Rough Country, its a nice kit.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
traveling mod

Originally Posted by bluecollarjock
Actually there do seem to be a lot of brand new take off 17s from pickups and Escalades on Craigs List....but I thought it would be a #$%$%% finding good tires on 17" cheap, I have a HOV8 WJ Columbia that came with 17"s, and replacement treads cost way more than 16"...so I just assumed it would be the same for LT tires, but heck if I can get brand new BFGs for $400, maybe I will look into some of the stock take off 17s!!

So you did the RC keys and shocks? Do you know if RC puts longer shocks on the front with that kit or extensions? Do you like the shocks that came with that kit?

Thanks a ton!
Originally Posted by bluecollarjock
wow....why the heck are those tires so cheap, I just did see them on Ebay out of Ohio....thats weird, for nearly 33" tall mud radials that is dirt dirt cheap, so freaking cheap its worth looking to buy some used Escalade take offs and throwing them on there, still coming out cheaper than brand new 285/75/16s on the stock ugly steelies...
ya itis crazy that those are so cheap!!!i didnt get the RC kit,to be honest i cant remember what brand it was.but i think the front shocks are a bit longer and it rides good.i have a buddy with an 05 crewcab and he said he likes the ride in my truck better than his stock height truck.im also rollin on rancho rs5000 and its there lowest grade shock but it performs well.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks Andrew! Well, Im heading out of town for a week, but got lined up 3 different sets of 17" take off rims from newer trucks for $250 or less...if they still got them when I return, Ill make sure I can still order the BFGs that cheap, order the tires on the way to pick up the rims! That way I know Im good to go, otherwise Ill have cheap tires with no rims to mount them! Someone does have some Firestone MTs used for $400, 265/75/16 which I could throw on the stock steelies, but I dont know anyone running them and they look like they might be rough on the road, sure they would rock in the mud they look like tractor treads, but maybe not as smooth as the BFGs on the road for my parents. But, if I miss out on the 17" rims or the cheap tires, Ill get something to work.

When I get back Im also going to order the leveling kit. I checked with ORU directly, their kit comes with Bilstein shocks which are longer in front, and the higher grade shocks, or the Readylift kit comes with shock extensions and Ill just grab whatever is on sale from one of the big name vendors, Bilstein has buy 3 get one free this month, Rancho RSXs are on sale one place, etc....

How much did your front end come up if you did before/after measurements? ORU said for my 04 to stick with 1.5" to keep the ride and angles good. However I see on some advertisements people doing 3" with new keys....
Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
traveling mod

i didnt measure but if got pics lol.when it was first done the front sat higher than the rear so i had them lower it a little (1" i think).
stock-265/70/17
Name:  DSC00466.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  64.1 KB
leveled-265/70/17
Name:  DSC00526.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  73.7 KB
leveled-285/70/17with lower airdam removed
Name:  0504081155-01.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  192.4 KB
same as above but with current wheels
Name:  DSC00617.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  121.5 KB
a buddies stock height truck next to mine,notice his lower airdam is still on
Name:  DSC01314.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  168.2 KB
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
traveling mod

ill be going to cognito's upper control arm kit next,as well as some steering upgrades from them.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
QLF
Launching!

Either get the Rough Country kit or just spend $50 on some Ford keys and buy some good shocks for a 2-3" lift.

Though, if you just want to run 285's, and are a bit tight on cash, I would just crank your stock keys up to level and buy the shocks. If you want it taller or it won't level all of the way out, then buy the new keys. You do not at all needs to spend more than $50 on a set of keys alone. They are all the same and all do the same exact thing.

Quick Reply: 04 Silverado Leveling Kit/Shocks/Stabilizer?