TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

2wd Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd Lifts

Anybody have info on 2wd lifts. I have an '86 Sivlerado, and have thought of both slamming and lifting... lifting is alot more practical for my purposes than lowering. Any thoughts?

I have pictures of my truck if anybody needs to see them.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Import Moderator

i think they are pretty pricey for as little lift as your gonna get, a 3" is like $450 or something, you could buy a 4" for a 4wd for that... i actually have a truck identical to yours, only mines like tan and brown, up here having a southern body to us yankees is a big deal lol so its in good condition to... i considered putting a lift on that, but i have a 4wd rclb frame wit 3/4 ton 6 lug axles, i think im just gonna throw the 2wd body on the 4wd frame
Old 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the most, it's just a thought. It's probably going to stay stock for a long time.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Need More N2O Mod

You could change yours to 4wd very easy. just find some springs and a front axle and throw it under there. All the bolt holes are already in your frame for leaf springs. I have seen alot of trucks that run a solid front axle with no drive shaft.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Import Moderator

no driveshaft, like they cant use 4wd but still have a sfa? wonder if it would be hard to putt the tcase up to it to if he found the right tcase?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've read it takes a good amount of money to take a 2wd and make it 4wd... and also seems to be more work than it's worth.

Question... What would be the purpose of putting a solid front axle on with no front drive shaft?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Originally Posted by ThrottleHappy7
From what I've read it takes a good amount of money to take a 2wd and make it 4wd... and also seems to be more work than it's worth.

Question... What would be the purpose of putting a solid front axle on with no front drive shaft?
Other than looks and having 12" of lift. nothing.

I have seen alot of guys that do all the work of lifting a truck 12" and forget about pinion angles. Some angles have been so much that they needed to turn it. But thats too much work and trouble so they pull the front drive shaft.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Import Moderator

on the new trucks its pretty expensive, on 73-87 it shouldnt be so much cause they already built these trucks wit the sfa, only diff is yours doesnt have one obviously. the holes are still there though like mwalls said, you just need a dana 44, a transfercase, 4wd tranny, and a front driveshaft really... which most guys for wheelin do an axle swap and tcase swap anyways, you can get a custom driveshaft made for bout $150 and thats probably on the high end of it... and the 4wd trannys for these trucks are laying around everywhere lol. its all in how much work you wanna put into, but i dont think it would be that hard or that $$ to be honest wit ya
Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mwalls54
Other than looks and having 12" of lift. nothing.

I have seen alot of guys that do all the work of lifting a truck 12" and forget about pinion angles. Some angles have been so much that they needed to turn it. But thats too much work and trouble so they pull the front drive shaft.
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sence now. In my case, I wouldn't be worried about that... I'd only be looking at 5" of lift, at most.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beastmode
on the new trucks its pretty expensive, on 73-87 it shouldnt be so much cause they already built these trucks wit the sfa, only diff is yours doesnt have one obviously. the holes are still there though like mwalls said, you just need a dana 44, a transfercase, 4wd tranny, and a front driveshaft really... which most guys for wheelin do an axle swap and tcase swap anyways, you can get a custom driveshaft made for bout $150 and thats probably on the high end of it... and the 4wd trannys for these trucks are laying around everywhere lol. its all in how much work you wanna put into, but i dont think it would be that hard or that $$ to be honest wit ya
So, maybe I need to do a little more research. That gives me some hope for the future though.

Quick Reply: 2wd Lifts