TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

99 silverado 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 silverado 4x4 problems

i currently have a 03 rcsb 2x4 silverado but have a offer for a lifted 99 extended cab silverado to trade straight up i dont know if its a good trade or not but im interested the guy told me his truck needs a electric sensor on the transfer case to switch it in and out of 4x4 does that sound right and if so how much does it run to have this fixed
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the auto -trac t-case??? I never changed one out before but do go out from time to time...Oreilys show the motor for $167 :/
Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2 most common problems are the encoder motor on the transfer case or the switch on the dash. This info is valid for the auto-trac case. On a manual transfer case I would say the front axle engagement motor. Don't forget to check the fuses also. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by jlwz71; 12-04-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a shit this early in the morning.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had my 4x4 switch stop lighting up about a month ago..scan tool said a/b circuit and the shop said it was a encoder motor which is the motor on the tcase..replaced it and $200 later it wasnt fixed. It turned out being the transfer case control module in the dash..$50 later off ebay and its good to go..just something to check..you can swap one from a different truck to rule out the TCCM
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mike607
i currently have a 03 rcsb 2x4 silverado but have a offer for a lifted 99 extended cab silverado to trade straight up i dont know if its a good trade or not but im interested the guy told me his truck needs a electric sensor on the transfer case to switch it in and out of 4x4 does that sound right and if so how much does it run to have this fixed
do u really need a 4x4 because trading a 4 year newer truck just for 4wd isnt worth it IMO
Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
do u really need a 4x4 because trading a 4 year newer truck just for 4wd isnt worth it IMO

I agree. Plus they make lift kits for 2wd if that's all you want is a bigger truc
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 99 was/still is a nightmare.

The encoder motor went, the controller went, the pushbutton switch went, the front differential went TWICE, finally swapped it out with an 03 front diff, and all was well.

Id stick with what you have. A 99 does not have the many transfer case updates that later models got, as well as the front diff. Something wasn't machined right in my case or it wasn't rebuilt correctly by the dealer as it didn't last long.

Like the guys said, do you really NEED 4wd? Most of the time you can get away with a good set of rubbers and even 2wd trucks will perform well in winter. I bought mine as I wanted to go into the trails with friends, and do some yard work that might require me to lock er in.
All honesty...hasn't seen the day yet, and it's been 8 years. I use it in our icy/snowy winters, but that's about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
My 99 was/still is a nightmare.

The encoder motor went, the controller went, the pushbutton switch went, the front differential went TWICE, finally swapped it out with an 03 front diff, and all was well.

Id stick with what you have. A 99 does not have the many transfer case updates that later models got, as well as the front diff. Something wasn't machined right in my case or it wasn't rebuilt correctly by the dealer as it didn't last long.

Like the guys said, do you really NEED 4wd? Most of the time you can get away with a good set of rubbers and even 2wd trucks will perform well in winter. I bought mine as I wanted to go into the trails with friends, and do some yard work that might require me to lock er in.
All honesty...hasn't seen the day yet, and it's been 8 years. I use it in our icy/snowy winters, but that's about it.
spoken that absolute truth i have 2 4x4's and im in canada im only 22 but i have never had to lock it in 4wd and mind u we avg 4-5 feet of snow a winter just get a good set of winter tires pust some weight in teh box and you should be set
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while 4x4 may not be necessary in the winter, i use it all of the time..pulling out from an intersection it sure is nice not to spin out on the shitty plowed roads, as well as keep yourself going straight when you hit a part in the road where the plow crossed and left a 2 foot wall of snow..any its nice to just beat the **** out of it in 4x4 in the snow lol
Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Just keep what you have. It sounds like you will be buying someone elses problem. If you want a 4x4, save up yer pennies and buy one, then you have 2 trucks!

Quick Reply: 99 silverado 4x4 problems