TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

any lifted 2wds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any lifted 2wds?

i bought this truck with the intentions of dropping it a lil and putting a 6.0 in, now i still wanna do the 6.0 only problem is i cant get outta the lift game i dont think just wanted to see if there was any lifted 2wds, i know they sit significantly lower than the 4wds and i wanted to see how big of a lift i would need to run some 315/75/16s on 8" wide wheels... just testing the waters here this isnt a def or anything
Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already had the lifted 2wd. But with everything else, I really wanted 4 slinging tires. The amount of money that I put into replacing spindles, and bearings, I could have had a stright axle and lockers. I don't know what your intentions are, but I was in the mud every weekend.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Import Moderator

see thats the thing, i barely did any wheeling anyways so thats why i figured it wouldnt matter. now you said you had alot into your 2wd lift, you really think you could have did a sfa conversion for what you had into it? i was under the impression that you were lookin at ALOT of money doing that
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok, I'm the extreme other end. I did everything that you were not supposed to do, and more. This was all on a 92, 4.3, 5-speed.

I did the 3" body, 3" spindles, 15x10s, 33's, and 3.73 in the rear. I regularly went threw every mud hole that I could. My younger brother had a 87 YJ that I tried to keep up with. Hands down, he could go anywhere, threw anything, and yank my heavy a$$ out of just about anything.

My poor driving abuse was the only reason that my hardware could not keep up. I would go threw a sandy river crossing, that would 4 feet deep, and make it. Water would be coming over the hood, fan clutch hitting water, but it would sputter and miss, but a couple good high revs would dry off the distributor, and I was good to go. Now granted this was not always done down the street or, a few miles away. This would be 120 miles round trip. I didn't have a place to pull off my front end, and repack my bearings right away.
Again, I abused it. I turned a tie-rod into a banana one day, drove it home, got an alignment the same day, drove 60 miles to work, and on the way home I spun a bearing on the way back. That 3 times before I decided to sell the truck.

Again, most of my repairs were due to my driving, and taking the truck way past what it was capable of doing.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Import Moderator

haha yes it sounds like you abused it, i on the other hand would not be doing this kinda stuff, call me a poser but i just like driving around in a lifted truck, now thats not to say that i never went wheelin, i used to have a 98 s10 ecsb 4banger 2wd that i beat the living hell out of in the woods, id go places the 4x4s wouldnt, hit ruts that would make my frame slam off the ground... one time i ran into a porta-jon cause it was there, needless to say **** flew up all over my truck busted my mirror off and put a huge dent in the side of my bed. but as you said, this was when i abused things to, also had a 87 4x4 wit 33s that i used to wheel, not that i dont wanna wheel anymore, i just dont wanna wheel this truck, i wanna keep it nice and clean and not have **** breaking all the time, so as ive said call me a poser but ill have soemthing to wheel eventually .... also i am considering a little lift and just running my old tires and wheels off my 4x4 that i used to have, 285/75/16s on 16x8s, what would i need to do this?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

There's a 2wd section over at fullsizegm I'm sure there's someone already running that size.

do a search for tx_tootall@yahoo.com on my space . . . under vids, there's one of the old truck. I'm doing a 2nd gear neutral drop, and I'm slinging some really huge long roosters.

Last edited by mwalls54; 11-18-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Import Moderator

haha ill check it out, thanks a bunch man
Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beastmode
haha yes it sounds like you abused it, i on the other hand would not be doing this kinda stuff, call me a poser but i just like driving around in a lifted truck, now thats not to say that i never went wheelin, i used to have a 98 s10 ecsb 4banger 2wd that i beat the living hell out of in the woods, id go places the 4x4s wouldnt, hit ruts that would make my frame slam off the ground... one time i ran into a porta-jon cause it was there, needless to say **** flew up all over my truck busted my mirror off and put a huge dent in the side of my bed. but as you said, this was when i abused things to, also had a 87 4x4 wit 33s that i used to wheel, not that i dont wanna wheel anymore, i just dont wanna wheel this truck, i wanna keep it nice and clean and not have **** breaking all the time, so as ive said call me a poser but ill have soemthing to wheel eventually .... also i am considering a little lift and just running my old tires and wheels off my 4x4 that i used to have, 285/75/16s on 16x8s, what would i need to do this?
The problem with most 2wd spindle lifts is that you can not use stock wheels. Rough Country makes a spindle that you can use stock wheels with, but it is only 3" and will not be enough to allow you to run 285's.

I went with the CST spindles, which are significantly more expensive, but are high quality and give you a full 4". Otherwise, you need to add spring spacers. Something about changing the effective height of your springs without changing out the A-arms seemed like a not so nice thing to do to your suspension. This might not be the case at all, but it was my impression.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

im currently running a 7in lift on my 2wd clearing 35in tires. i went through cst for the lift. its great and with a locking rear end you can pretty much go anywhere the 4 by's do.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

I tell ya what call my buddies over at Slick Trick Performance and Offroad. Ask for John and tell him Barker told you to call. When it comes to lifting if he dont know it he can find it! 1 (757) 490-7450. Its in Virginia Beach but the guy is good, and if you like what he says he can under price anyone!

Quick Reply: any lifted 2wds?