TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Anybody own a Jk unlimited? Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
I figured gears were a given when doing tire swaps. The rubicon comes with 4.10's but I was thinking 4.56. According to the calculator that would be a pretty good gear with the 6spd. The new 2012's have the 3.6 motor from like the charger and such. It up on power compared to the 3.8. By quite a bit actually. As long as it gets better than the Tahoe ill be happy. That's not hard, I can nearly squeeze 18 on the highway with windows down on flat ground. Which is actually better than it did stock. Lol
Youre not going to get anywhere near that with 35s even with gears.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just the research portion for best lifts and what not. Tahoe will be paid for in a few months then the money is going in an account to save for a good down payment. If our plan works out it will be December of 2013 when we buy. I just don't want to go into a jeep like I did my first silverado. So I'm researching everything now. It may seem a little soon but I like to be prepared so I can just go in get what I want with out hassle. This includes the lift and other add ons. The way I would like to work it is have all me parts waiting and drive the jeep home and do the Install that day.

Has anybody seen the rock krawler aluminum long arm kit? It looks bad ***! Like I said the jeep will be USED. Hell you should see what my poor Tahoe goes through.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Youre not going to get anywhere near that with 35s even with gears.
One can always hope. either way this is gonna be her new ride. I've got plans for the Tahoe but I can't do any of it until I get something the family can ride in. But I don't want another project. Which is why I want to buy all the stuff for her jeep at once and install it. No tuners or other power mods for this thing. Just the off road equipment and done. This includes the lift, gears, wheels tires, fenders and the other little things she wants. I just hope my deployment status stay as it is now so I can pay for all of it. I got screwed last deployment So my dmax swap got cancelled.

If all else fails she will just have a new stock rubicon unlimited. Which she will be happy with. It just means I will have to tow her out of the mud more often. Lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

On a side note: they are putting the desiel back into the charokee (sp) iirc. So why the hell not into the freaking wrangler?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going with 37's or hell even 35's you may aswell start looking at a few more parts for the front and rear axles lol
If it was me on the front id sleeve the axle tube's,gusset the C's and upgrade the shafts.
the unit bearings are gonna hate life and prob wont last more than 20-30k miles.There a free wheel hub kit but its $1500~
On the rear a minimum of shafts

As far as mileage id say you could manage 15mpg on 37's with 4.88's..
Hit up one of the jk forums and see what gear/tire combo everybody is running but be warned alot of jk owners are super dicks on those sites
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Man Motor club

A stock 3.6 Rubicon will be more than capable of getting around, for sure. I have taken the 3.8 JK models EVERYWHERE. She should be happy with the factory equipment for at least another year while you save for the crazy ****. I would personally go with 4.88s-5.13s for 37s, and what I am seeing from the Wrangler guys backs this up.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
traveling mod

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
On a side note: they are putting the desiel back into the charokee (sp) iirc. So why the hell not into the freaking wrangler?
Cause it would make to much sense

Personally id never own a jk anyhow..I honestly think the tj will be the last good jeep ever made
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Man Motor club

I disagree. The 4.0 was a reliable, torquey engine, but heavy as hell, inefficient, and a general PITA. The only thing I don't particularly like about the JK is the 3.8, but the minivan engine has never kept me from getting anywhere I've taken a TJ Rubicon, the Pentastar has fixed the 3.8's lack of power, and the JK is a much nicer place to spend hours offroad (except for the stupid location of the power window switches at your left knee, where you will constantly roll windows up and down during offroad maneuvers).
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Man Motor club

I agree with this:

Differential Gear Ratio Chart - Tire Size to Gear Ratio
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jkowners.com which is a spinoff from Pirate4x4.com has a lot of great info on jks and you can check out the photos forum for some good examples.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a Jk unlimited? Lifts