TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

best lift for silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody ever used Rock Krawler kits? if so how do you like it? i like the idea of eliminating the torsion bars, but it is an 8 to 9 inch lift. more than i want to go and from 5 to 8k more than i want to spend. does anybody make a 4 to 6 inch kit that eliminates torsion bars and hopefully a lot more reasonably priced?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

getchusum99,

You said you have torsion bar keys and 4" blocks. Are these on your 99 Z71? I have the Ford keys in my 00 Sierra 4X4 SCSB and I wanted to lift the back up a little too. I was thinking of the 3.5" to 4" blocks for mine as well. I am running 285 75 16 ProComps right now and was wondering what size tires you are running on your Z71 with the keys and block setup? Do you have any issues with axle wrap w/ those keys?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I have been reading through this thread, and have heard almost every name in lifts with everyone's opinion, but nothing on Rancho?

The 4wd shops around here all recommend Rancho, even the ones that don't sell it.

My plan is to go 6" in the future with 35's, so the recommendations in this thread are important to me.

Thanks for everyone's input, its huge!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

sdwhitney, the Rancho is a good kit, but most stay away b/c its only a 4", well the Rancho reps says its actually a lil over 5", but thats a different arguement. Most of the time they are more expensive than others you can find out there with just as good of quality.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
sdwhitney, the Rancho is a good kit, but most stay away b/c its only a 4", well the Rancho reps says its actually a lil over 5", but thats a different arguement. Most of the time they are more expensive than others you can find out there with just as good of quality.
Thanks Twotonefreak, that is info I needed.

I really like the look of the CST lifts on the trucks they show on the website. Might have to do a search through this and other sites to find other trucks with that lift to see how it compares.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

yeah if you know what ur doing, go the the CST lift. Fabtech makes an ok kit, and the rest just suck ballz. the CST uses a larger ball joint found on silverdao's pre-dating 1999 which is a pretty tough ball joint. fabtech, procomp, racho, ect all use stamped steel brackets and stuff. my friend has the CST kit ( non long travel) and it does pretty d*mn good. its no camburg long travel though. suck on that!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ridered4life
yeah if you know what ur doing, go the the CST lift. Fabtech makes an ok kit, and the rest just suck ballz. the CST uses a larger ball joint found on silverdao's pre-dating 1999 which is a pretty tough ball joint. fabtech, procomp, racho, ect all use stamped steel brackets and stuff. my friend has the CST kit ( non long travel) and it does pretty d*mn good. its no camburg long travel though. suck on that!
I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. Fabtech, Rancho and RCD are all pretty much the same kit since we are talking about 4wd's. They drop the lower control arm 6" and the differential about 4.5". This gives some angle on your cv joints, but I think people bitch about them too much anyways. The CST kit for the 4wd's does not come with replacement UCA's, they are an option. You can get UCA's from Cognito or Full Throttle too. There is no such thing as a mass produced longtravel 4wd kit for the Silverados, although the kit that CST produces for the 2wd's is quite nice.

Currently I have a 6.5 Full Throttle kit in my truck, it appears to be solid... however after much deliberation on my part I am not going to put it on my truck due to the fact that it wouldn't be practical. Instead I am going to run some 16x8's and a 285/75/16 one Procomp runs their tire sale in March
Old 02-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

So what are the major beefs with the fabtech kit? Is it a good kit or is it not? I live in a small town and travel back roads and like to get my truck muddy. Also it is my only transportation and i travel state to state sometimes with it. What kind of lift should i go with and how much am i looking to spend if i get a lift with some new tires and rims.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverado_03_z71
So what are the major beefs with the fabtech kit? Is it a good kit or is it not? I live in a small town and travel back roads and like to get my truck muddy. Also it is my only transportation and i travel state to state sometimes with it. What kind of lift should i go with and how much am i looking to spend if i get a lift with some new tires and rims.

The only bad thing Ive heard about fabtech is that there upper ball joints have alot of pressure on them causing excessive wear.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

The Fabtech will push out your front track as well. The front wheels will stick out further than the back wheels.

Quick Reply: best lift for silverado