TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Can i run with no half shafts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
I'm not saying ur wrong in any kind of way! But if their is the 3 bolts holding on the hub assembly from the back he is safe! I will post pictures!
The 3 bolts hold the hub assembly into the knuckle.

The half-shaft holds the two halves of the hub assembly together.

Without the half-shaft, the bearing itself separates, leaving one half (the part with the 3 bolts) stuck in the knuckle, and the other half stuck to the wheel that is now rolling down the side of the road separately from the rest of the truck.

It is not an issue of if, but of when will the hub assembly separate from itself and cause the wheel to fall off. And I'm not just speculating, I've seen the carnage in person.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the picture with shaft is a 94 and the wheel will fall off without shaft!
the other picture is on a 04 and with the 3 bolts from back side & its to run without shaft
Attached Thumbnails Can i run with no half shafts??-1.jpg   Can i run with no half shafts??-2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
13 Second Truck Club

The 2wd hub assemblies are different from the 4wd. Read what I posted earlier. The 3 bolts don't hold the 4wd hub together, they just hold one half of it into the knuckle.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
The 3 bolts hold the hub assembly into the knuckle.

The half-shaft holds the two halves of the hub assembly together.

Without the half-shaft, the bearing itself separates, leaving one half (the part with the 3 bolts) stuck in the knuckle, and the other half stuck to the wheel that is now rolling down the side of the road separately from the rest of the truck.

It is not an issue of if, but of when will the hub assembly separate from itself and cause the wheel to fall off. And I'm not just speculating, I've seen the carnage in person.
my buddy had a 05 and drove it for like 2 months without a shaft! most of the dodges,nissans & toy's 2wd have the same hud assembly as the 4wd and the hub stays together!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
my buddy had a 05 and drove it for like 2 months without a shaft! most of the dodges,nissans & toy's 2wd have the same hud assembly as the 4wd and the hub stays together!
He probably had the splined end of the shaft bolted into the hub.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ

The 2wd hub assemblies are different from the 4wd. Read what I posted earlier. The 3 bolts don't hold the 4wd hub together, they just hold one half of it into the knuckle.
all i know is that on the older body styles like my 94 when u buy a bearing it comes without the hub & the hub has to be press into the bearing! my 04 u got to buy a bearing hub assembly!

r u having fun yet
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, if you take the half shaft out, it will seperate. this isnt a 94 OK. the three bolts (like previously stated) only hold the assembly to the steering knuckle. the reason you have to buy an assembly is that they are pressed together (on 2WD applications) on 4WD trucks, the half shaft holds them together. and how can a 2WD and 4WD have the same bearing assembly, being that the half shaft has to go through to drive the front wheels? I'd really like to know how that works
Old 05-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

I destroyed the ring and pinion, but i dont have the cash to fix right now so i need to drive the truck with no diff. I just lifted a 2006 2wd tahoe last night, and the three bolts are all the holds his hub together. If you are saying thats not the case i guess i will go buy a big *** bolt to hold it together.

I still think since gm took the clip out of their half shafts you can run with out. I broke one last yera and it took 3 hours to bust it apart with a blowtorch and a hammer so i could put one end back in to get home. So if you have a new chevy and break a shaft out in the desert be prepared to do beating as those cool clips are GONE!

Any body a chevy mechanic on here??

Thanks gb
Old 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03chevyroyce
ok, if you take the half shaft out, it will seperate. this isnt a 94 OK. the three bolts (like previously stated) only hold the assembly to the steering knuckle. the reason you have to buy an assembly is that they are pressed together (on 2WD applications) on 4WD trucks, the half shaft holds them together. and how can a 2WD and 4WD have the same bearing assembly, being that the half shaft has to go through to drive the front wheels? I'd really like to know how that works
I'm saying on the 94 if u pull the half shaft the wheel will fall off! The newer trucks 2wd & 4wd have hub assembly! Therefore having the same type of bearing! Therefore the 3 bolts behind the knuckle how the bearing assembly in place!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by gblauf
I destroyed the ring and pinion, but i dont have the cash to fix right now so i need to drive the truck with no diff. I just lifted a 2006 2wd tahoe last night, and the three bolts are all the holds his hub together. If you are saying thats not the case i guess i will go buy a big *** bolt to hold it together.

I still think since gm took the clip out of their half shafts you can run with out. I broke one last yera and it took 3 hours to bust it apart with a blowtorch and a hammer so i could put one end back in to get home. So if you have a new chevy and break a shaft out in the desert be prepared to do beating as those cool clips are GONE!

Any body a chevy mechanic on here??

Thanks gb
That is the case on the 2wd trucks, but NOT the 4wd trucks. Something may be different on the 07+ trucks, but I wouldn't risk it.

Someone will know.

Quick Reply: Can i run with no half shafts??