TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Can i run with no half shafts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gblauf
I destroyed the ring and pinion, but i dont have the cash to fix right now so i need to drive the truck with no diff. I just lifted a 2006 2wd tahoe last night, and the three bolts are all the holds his hub together. If you are saying thats not the case i guess i will go buy a big *** bolt to hold it together.

I still think since gm took the clip out of their half shafts you can run with out. I broke one last yera and it took 3 hours to bust it apart with a blowtorch and a hammer so i could put one end back in to get home. So if you have a new chevy and break a shaft out in the desert be prepared to do beating as those cool clips are GONE!

Any body a chevy mechanic on here??

Thanks gb
maybe pull the pinion gear and front driveshaft? just a thought
Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
I'm saying on the 94 if u pull the half shaft the wheel will fall off! The newer trucks 2wd & 4wd have hub assembly! Therefore having the same type of bearing! Therefore the 3 bolts behind the knuckle how the bearing assembly in place!
Then explain how the **** my buddy's wheel fell off less than a mile down the road when he pulled the half shaft out? His wheel bearing was good before this happened as well.

THE 2WD AND 4WD HUB ASSEMBLIES ARE NOT THE SAME.

God damn.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
Then explain how the **** my buddy's wheel fell off less than a mile down the road when he pulled the half shaft out? His wheel bearing was good before this happened as well.

THE 2WD AND 4WD HUB ASSEMBLIES ARE NOT THE SAME.

God damn.
calm down man, let him do whatever he wants to do, and then later say "I told ya so"
Old 05-23-2010, 01:02 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 03chevyroyce
calm down man, let him do whatever he wants to do, and then later say "I told ya so"
Shhh, I want to see him try to explain it.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year hubs are you refering to because gm did change them for the 2wd and 4x4 hubs to work together.

Last edited by psycho1; 05-23-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just went to the auto parts store! I looked @ both 2wd & 4wd hub assemblys!
Looks like I maybe wrong but not a 100%! The 2wd hub has a beveled edge holding on to the backside of the bearing!
The 4wd hub did look like it wuz a 2 piece but couldn't tell cuz it wuz machined almost perfect!
My buddy with the 05 drove 2 months without anything in the hole & the wheel never fell off!
So until we hear from somebody with a newer truck trying this on here we just won't know!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Restricted User

i see why dv2000nj is so pissed... hes talking to a wall and hes right... first off the older 88-98 and the newer 99+ both have the same style bolt pattern to bolt the hub to the knuckle..and they both ARE hub assemblies (if were talking 4x4) the only difference is the 3 bolts on the newer hub go thru the back of the knuckle and thread into the hub and the older ones go thru the outside of the hub and thread into the knuckle...

if you run any of the 4x4 hubs without the outer part of the cv shaft bolted thru it it will very soon seperate leaving you stranded... yes the hub was machined togeather or whatever but it cannot support any real weight without that splined shaft going thru it and bolted tight to keep both halfs of the bearing from seperating....

the 88-98 2wd hubs are the old re greasable ones that you can take apart and change the rollers and races....

the 99+ 2wd hub is a whole assembly that you cannot open up and pack with grease... also they do not have a splined center either like the 4x4 does

88+ 4wd hubs are not seperable to regrease or replace bearings... they will seperate right away for you if you drive down the street without the splined part of the cv shaft bolted in tho

and before people say it again.. i have also seen vehicles that share a 2wd 4wd hub like the trail blazer..ive seen the 2wd with a hole in the middle for splines... but our trucks hubs were not made for that... i think its a lighter vehicle thing.......

hope this helps
Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My truck is a 2000 Z71, I made it 3 days on 4 month old wheel hubs after removing my cv axles....just saying they maybe had 3500 miles on them as I never drive the truck. I don't know if your friends got the worlds strongest hub assemblies, but if the axles come out, IT WILL FALL APART! Not trying to start anything, I experienced this already and learned from it...I don't want to see this guy have to replace parts because of wrong info from hotrodscooter.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
SPAM HUNTER

mhotrodscooter, you are full of ****, you are a newb here and need to learn to shut up, your not knowing what your talking about could get someone killed.

The assembly's bolt up the same and look the same, but they are different. I have personally had a bearing come loose because the 4x4 ones are made different, why i do not know.

I made it about 10 feet out the shop and shifted from reverse to drive when the 20 inch wheel came off, dented the fender, tore up a lower ball joint nut when the lower control arm hit the ground and broke a brake caliper bracket and ground up a rotor.

Timkin sells a universal bearing, but most other aftermarket do not, even OEM needs to be checked.

I was lucky the parts store swore it was a universal, i called three times before i installed it, and it wasnt so they covered the whole bill for the guy. Im just happy i wasnt driving 65 up the road on my normal test drive route.

Last edited by 2005 Silverado; 05-23-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not do it. I have the perfect example here. My friends 2003 silverado was getting worked on, and they put a new hub assembly on it. He didn't have to money for a new half shaft ( or whatever you want to call it) and the old one was too shitty to put back in. So he told the shop just to leave it out, they told him that you cannot do that, but he thought since it was a brand new hub assembly that it would be OK to make it home. Long story short--the wheel fell off leaving the shops parking lot.

Quick Reply: Can i run with no half shafts??