TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

changing torsion keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing torsion keys

i have 315/70/17's on my 2500hd. i have the torsion keys cranked about 3/4 of the way. i decided to swap them out for the green 1/2 ton keys. i loosened everything up and tried to knock the barts out to swap keys and nogo. i beat on it pretty good andf wouldnt budge. that was after spraying with pb blasterthe day before and just before trying. any tricks to nocking them out? mine are a tad rusty.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you remove the little bars that hold the bolts?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black04
Did you remove the little bars that hold the bolts?
LOL of course i did.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just wondering. Your post makes it sound like you didnt. You need to soak the keys down with pb blaster and then use a long rod or punch to knock the bars out. If they are really seized you may have to remove the crossmember and hit them with a BFH.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black04
I was just wondering. Your post makes it sound like you didnt. You need to soak the keys down with pb blaster and then use a long rod or punch to knock the bars out. If they are really seized you may have to remove the crossmember and hit them with a BFH.
i was using a 10lb hammer and an old 3/4 extension.

and i did use pb blaster. says so in first post. this aint my first rodeo. i've never ever had to pound that hard to try to remove a torsion key. im gonna soak it twice a day for another 2 days. if that dont help im gonna cut it off. oh and my crossmember cant be removed easily. i tried that too. theres a bolt on each end, no problem. but you cant lift it up to clear the mount because the exhaust is 3/4 inch above it on one side, the transfer case is about 1 inch above in middle and the brake abs thing is about 3/4 inch above on the other side.

Last edited by chevydad; 04-23-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

prob sized realy bad seen this a couple of times. if they dont move after a couple of days with penatrating fluid you prob have to heat them up with torch. even maybe cut them with the torch.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have all the tension unloaded from the suspension? what did you use to unload the keys?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlt76028
do you have all the tension unloaded from the suspension? what did you use to unload the keys?
yes! truck was on a lift! shocks unbolted. bolts backed out and i used a torsion key clamp to u nload them. one side come out by hand the other side just need a turn or two to remove. why do you need to know what i used to unload the keys? wouldnt make a difference. if they are unloaded with a c clamp or vise grips. if the are unloaded then they are unloaded
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

im gonna spray them again tomorrow am and pm then try a air hammer on monday. if that wont work ill cut the ******* off
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevydad
yes! truck was on a lift! shocks unbolted. bolts backed out and i used a torsion key clamp to u nload them. one side come out by hand the other side just need a turn or two to remove. why do you need to know what i used to unload the keys? wouldnt make a difference. if they are unloaded with a c clamp or vise grips. if the are unloaded then they are unloaded
Welllllll I was just making sure you had even unloaded the keys mr. know it all. by the sounds of it, it didn't seem like you knew what you were doing. have fun figuring it out.....

Quick Reply: changing torsion keys