TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Cranked torsion bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine looks close to yours and its fine i never hear ior feel it bottom out no weird sounds no harsh ride i went about 5 full turns and that equals about 1.5in. of lift and almost level i also went and got an alignment and 2in longer rough country shox for the front hope this helped alil bit
Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I hit larger bumps and i can feel it hit the bump stops, not hard at all usually, I think some new shocks are on the list of things to get soon, and my truck IS level, and I got quite abit of crank left to do with the bolts if I want
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

That is how mine look, lot less rust, but I have the aftermarket torsions in mine and cranked to level. That "bump stop" you are looking at, the one the pic is of. That isn't a "bump stop", it is more of a "limiting stop". If you notice in the picture the upper a arm is above this bump stop. That means when you hit a bump, it (the uaa) will go away from it. That is there to "limit" the downward motion of your suspension. You should only feel that if you catch a little air with your front end! Your bumpstops if I remember right are on the bottom of the frame right above the rear arm of the lower A arm. When you hit a bump, it stops the A arm from hitting the frame, and helps from bottoming out the shocks. The one you pictured is the limiting stop, does the same thing, just the other direction to where when your front end goes skyward, the suspension doesn't sag all the way out and over extend your shocks, and help keeps your half shafts in place and not breaking!

I cranked my stock keys up a bit to level the truck, the bars sag, so I maxed out the stock keys to level again. Well they sagged again. Put the aftermarket keys in and had the truck leveled. They have sagged again. I am about to crank on the aftermarket keys soon to level the truck again.

I have only heard those stops you pictured out at the dunes when I hit the "whoops" section of the sand highway a little too fast, and then I really don't hear them at all cuz the suspension is in a "smooth" transition rather than banging hard coming down?

Know what I mean???
Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I know what they do, I just called them bump stops, they keep your suspension from topping out.once your uca is resting on that you cant get anymore height from the torsion bars. correct?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Correct, you cannot get any more "lift" from your torsions if the UCA is on this stop.