TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Do you tow more than 5K? You need a new hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Haha. In FTW.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's using the same Browning/B&W that he used with the factory setup. You sure like to criticize without reading, don't you? Also, considering that Nonnie bent his ******* frame using a lesser hitch to haul similar loads with a similar setup, I'd say his choice made a lot of sense, especially for only $200.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Seems like good insurance for around $200 but I know so many guys who have put fairly heavy trailers on there stock hitch every day and never had an issue. It certainly won't hurt anything but I don't see it solving anything either.

Being class IV it has the larger receivers also doesn't it? Those cost significantly more and you can't always find them if you are in a pinch. It looks like your's has the standard class III receiver but I can't tell.
I really hope you get all of your "advice" and "opinions" out of your system on the internet and dont actually influence people in the real world.

My hitch is a class V not IV. It uses a standard 2" reciever tube, just thicker gauge. My ball mount never leaves the hitch so Im not worried about not having it, thats why I spent a lot of money on a damn ball mount. It tucks out of the way so I dont hit my shin on it, its adjustable in height for various loads, and has both a 2" ball and a 2-5/16" ball so I can tow whateevr I want and never have to pull it out.

To quote a great childhood quote, "If someone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?". A dirt contractor I work with all the time hauls 160,000# D11 dozers on 50' lowboy trailers with 4 mule kickers and its still overweight. The trailer worked fine to haul it for a while til the neck broke the hell off the lowboy and injured a bunch of people when a 160,000# dozer fell off in the middle of the interstate. They almost lost their DOT license and paid MILLIONS to people who were injured. So moral of the story, just because you can get away with it for a while doesnt mean you always will.

Ive seen enough bent factory hitches/bumpers to make me feel its cheap insurance(at $200) to swap out. I wouldnt expect you to understand the actual mechanics of how a load is transferred, torsional, dynamic and static loads all play a role as well as the actual leverage of the ball mount, add air bags and improperly loaded trailers to the mix and its easy to get screwed up.

The biggest benefits to this hitch is that it moves the reciever tube closer to the same plane of the frame as well as the longer mounting surface, both reduce stress on the frame.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
He's using the same Browning/B&W that he used with the factory setup. You sure like to criticize without reading, don't you? Also, considering that Nonnie bent his ******* frame using a lesser hitch to haul similar loads with a similar setup, I'd say his choice made a lot of sense, especially for only $200.
Nonnie's frame bending would very doubtedly been helped by any hitch unless it went up past the bag mounts. He said his frame bent where the bags mounted due to the rediculous load put on that point.

Like I said it certainly is a nice upgrade but it seems to be fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I am all about over enginering something such as extra thick steel when building a notch, or adding extra gussets. I have not seen one person ever with the stock hitch failing. My self and many other guys including the OP admits to hauling much more then rated for the factory.

$200 and it rests you mind then great. Not a bad price for some confort. Diapers only cost a few dollars and are nice insurance you won't get **** stains on your pants but I don't have any issue with that yet so I see no need for the diaper. That is the point I am trying to make.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Like I said it certainly is a nice upgrade but it seems to be fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I am all about over enginering something such as extra thick steel when building a notch, or adding extra gussets. I have not seen one person ever with the stock hitch failing. My self and many other guys including the OP admits to hauling much more then rated for the factory.
Nothing like some good old over engineering.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nonnie's frame bending would very doubtedly been helped by any hitch unless it went up past the bag mounts. He said his frame bent where the bags mounted due to the rediculous load put on that point.

$200 and it rests you mind then great. Not a bad price for some confort. Diapers only cost a few dollars and are nice insurance you won't get **** stains on your pants but I don't have any issue with that yet so I see no need for the diaper. That is the point I am trying to make.
You're an idiot, I don't have a rebuttle for your stupidity.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silvermodo bent his frame with over pressured airbags and a heavy tounge weight and hit a large bump in the road.

my frame was bent where the hitch was mounted.. lil cheesy 4 bolt mount.
now with the GM hitch and 8 bolts vs 4 bolts.
If i plan on hauling something heavy for a long distance id box the frame from the rear to the cab. Its already asking alot of that thin 1/8" steel Channel as it is.
the further you spread the weight, the stronger it is.

No point in arguing or starting crap.
he was just throwing it out there that he found a good deal on a class V hitch and it tucks up nicer than the stock one. big deal.

ive seen 1/2 chevy frames break by the cab and over the axles from a heavy load for a long time.
non boxed frames are pretty weak. the distance from the cab to the bed actually grows a good bit if i hook alot of tounge weight to the hitch and air the bags to 100#.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wish a company would actually use a better way to connect the safety chains.... them things bend so easy when you try and pull somebody out with them
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

is this the B&W Stow and go you have?

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Corrosion and time plays a big part of things here too. The first thing I did when I bought my 05 was get a 2" reciever Class V Curt as well. The factory hitch was pretty rusty and is very mickey mouse in design to begin with.... The tubing they use is very thin and not designed to pull anything without the use of an equalizer hitch.

I encourage most people I know with these trucks to replace the hitch if they plan on pulling any amount of weight. Very few I know ever bother with an equalilzer hitch.... myself included.

Quick Reply: Do you tow more than 5K? You need a new hitch.