TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Do you tow more than 5K? You need a new hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hitch is a little different than yours. So I'm looking more for the over all length from the front the leg to the end. Leg being the part that holds the bar in the middle. Also if you don't mind can you get a inside frame to inside frame width? My frame is boxed and differs from the silverado so I'm just trying to get an idea if I can make this work on mine. My over all leg length is only 11" and I don't have the forward hold you spoke of. But that's no more than a drill bit away.

Note: curt does make a 15000 pound hitch for mine but I like the idea of the longer hitch to spread the load better.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Just for clarification: you're saying that it's six inches longer than the factory piece?
Yes it extends ~6" further towards the cab than the factory hitch which is another reason I liked it so much as Ive seen some half ton frames buckle right after the last bolt hole that the hitch attaches too. Its roughly adding 25% more frame area to distribute the load over. Many of the other HD hitches didnt do this which is another reason I went with it along with non drop reciever tube which keeps the load closer to the plane of the frame so it puts less torsional load on teh frame from the ball mount.
Originally Posted by TURBHOE
My hitch is a little different than yours. So I'm looking more for the over all length from the front the leg to the end. Leg being the part that holds the bar in the middle. Also if you don't mind can you get a inside frame to inside frame width? My frame is boxed and differs from the silverado so I'm just trying to get an idea if I can make this work on mine. My over all leg length is only 11" and I don't have the forward hold you spoke of. But that's no more than a drill bit away.

Note: curt does make a 15000 pound hitch for mine but I like the idea of the longer hitch to spread the load better.
Im going outside to mow the yard shortly, Ill get you some pics.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Sounds good. Thanks. I read the instructions on the curt site. The Tahoe version doesn't have the longer hole like the truck one.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want the tahoe version. With the fully boxed frame trying to get a nut on that last bolt would be damn near impossible.

So can I be the first to ask why you aren't starting with a heavier truck if you're worried about the frame? My 3500 has 1/4" thick frame rails, which makes my 1500 look like it has a sheet of paper for frame.
Also, why not just go to a gooseneck if you are towing that heavy often enough to warrant all the other upgrades?
Not trying to sound like a jackass, just wanted your opinion.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

when you have 4 kids a truck doesn't have the comfy room a tahoe has. plus the tahoe will be paid for in full in two more payments. i could fit four kids in a crew cab but they would be tight and fight and moan the whole time. trust me i would love nothing more than a 2011-2012 crew silvy 2500. i won't be pulling the load that often and doing the math (not sure on trailer weight) but the load itself wouldn't be much more than 7500 lbs if that.

the dmax swap isn't so i can tow more, its just cause i want to do it. i just want to make sure there are no worries towing the load is all. the 30' camper i pulled was a breeze besides the steep *** hills.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that, its the reason i bought the wife a yukon. ive only had about 5k behind it but it really didnt feel stressed at all. I dont know how you do it without a suburban myself. With only 2 kids we can fill up the yukon with all their crap for a vacation.

my questions were more directed toward 01slowz71. Ive towed 10k on a bumper pull behind my 3500, and then 12k with a goose and the goose definately feels better all around. Bed space with a goose hooked on sucks, but thats why I have a longbox. I've got a b&w turnover so the bed space without a trailer isnt effected. Just wanted his opinion/explanation as to why he sticks with a bumper pull if hes worried about weight.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Oh my bad.

Bui will say with a weight distributing hitch towing feels much different than with just putting a trailer on a ball. It rode awesome too. However, I don't know the weight of the camper. I just know it was a 30' "alumalite".
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy_freak
I understand that, its the reason i bought the wife a yukon. ive only had about 5k behind it but it really didnt feel stressed at all. I dont know how you do it without a suburban myself. With only 2 kids we can fill up the yukon with all their crap for a vacation.

my questions were more directed toward 01slowz71. Ive towed 10k on a bumper pull behind my 3500, and then 12k with a goose and the goose definately feels better all around. Bed space with a goose hooked on sucks, but thats why I have a longbox. I've got a b&w turnover so the bed space without a trailer isnt effected. Just wanted his opinion/explanation as to why he sticks with a bumper pull if hes worried about weight.
The short answer is I only have access to bumper pulls now.

I used to have an 06 2500 Dmax, I regret selling it all the time
At the continental divide on the way home from an elk hunting trip
Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  77.5 KB
The truck was an absolute beast even just having a decently stout stock trans safe tune with exhaust on 35s.

When it came time to buy a new truck I was dead set on getting another Dmax but people were asking ridiculous prices for them. The cheapest I could find a loaded LMM like my 06 was 33k with over 100k on it. I wasn't willing to pay that much. Also a Dmax won't fit in my garage. I also no longer have my fifth wheel trailer so I really don't need a big truck anymore. I also plan on getting a folding bed cover to lock our hunting gear up so a bed type hitch wouldn't work for that. I did have the B&W hitch in my Dmax and it was awesome.

If I get the chance to jump ship to a Dmax for a reasonable price after I get the wifes car paid off I might do it. Just depends.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

A weight distribution hitch is amazing.. we put a setup on our 4wheeler trailer. we could load 6 honda forman 4x4s on it and that was wayy too much tounge weight for my truck, DIS hitch and it pulled like a dream. There was about 1,800# of 4wheelers on the front side of the axles plus the weight of the trailer.. and then 1,200-1800# on the axle and to the rear.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Some times I really do wonder if I should just go ahead and get another Dmax but then I'd have to take all the crap off that I've already done. The place I bought my current truck from has a Dmax exactly like I'd want. Wonder if I could work out a deal with them

Quick Reply: Do you tow more than 5K? You need a new hitch.