TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Good all terrain tire that hooks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never checked and seen how many miles i get out of a set of tires..
when i had just put my STS turbo on years ago i went thru 2 sets of Toyo Proxes S/Ts in a summer

Falkens didnt last long even without ever spinning them (Falken Ziex S/TZ-01) they sucked.. no wet traction at all.

These hankook AT/Ms have been the best ive ever ran. Hoping the Nittos are better since they can be had in the size i want.
but i should prolly be getting a mud tire

Last edited by nonnieselman; 04-02-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I still run the regular old firestones that my truck had on it when I got it. Have yet to spin in 4wd and hooks surprisingly hard in 2wd as well.
Firestone A/T here as well stick very well on asphalt, not
pushings crazy amounts of power but they do great! and theyre cheap
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

my eagles have lastest me about 3 years now. many many trips to the track. hook like crazy on the road. id say 30,000 or so on them. i had falkens ones on my silvy with a camed ls1 they would roast at half throttle. they just sucked bad.

i looked up reviews on michelin's web site for the A/T2's and they have very very bad reviews. the M/S2's have great reviews but its not the style i want. i think i'm going to go with the nitto's they look good and have great reviews.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TURBHOE
my eagles have lastest me about 3 years now. many many trips to the track. hook like crazy on the road. id say 30,000 or so on them. i had falkens ones on my silvy with a camed ls1 they would roast at half throttle. they just sucked bad.

i looked up reviews on michelin's web site for the A/T2's and they have very very bad reviews. the M/S2's have great reviews but its not the style i want. i think i'm going to go with the nitto's they look good and have great reviews.
I just looked at the reviews, one guy stated his tires lasted 30,000 miles and the are slicks , seriously what a joke he clearly has something wrong with his truck or he did a bunch of burn outs.

Michelin has better reviews than the Nitto's, however both brands are good, good luck.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 04-02-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i know is ill never buy a michellin tire again. i had the ltx m+s tires on my old truck.. driving home on the highway doing 120km/h, drivers side rear blew out. almost flipped the truck after going 45 deg sideways across 3 lanes. tread separated from the belt like a banana peel, wrapped around my axle, snapped the hydraulic brake line, ebrake line, dented the fender in pretty good. ended up dealing with michellin customer service, told me to ship the tire back, and get repair quotes. $1800 est damage, and they denied my claim saying it was underinflated. ummm, no. tires were always @38psi and still had over 50% tread. bastards.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

ever look at the nitto dune grappler. They seem to have good reviews. I may run a set of these and try them out.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Michelins are great highway tires but suck for traction since they use such a hard compound and they don't offer a true AT tread - that's what their BFGoodrich line is for. I had a set of Hankook AT's on my truck I got 70,000 miles out of but I'm through supporting foreign manufacturers. I'm running BFG A/T's now and have a set of BFG Baja Projects that hook like a mother offroad but you'll never see those in a size that will fit your Tahoe as it sits now.

Look at the General Grabber AT's - they have a high mileage warranty and I know several people happy with them on their high horse dodge diesels.

I've had bad cupping and balance issues with the Nitto's as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG All Terrain have always been good to me. I have them on my Duramax and I ran them on the old 02 5.3. A friend of mine has them on his 06 LBZ with twin turbos and he ran them at the track, running 11's.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dune Grapplers suck. Don't buy them (unless you get off on having a tread pattern that looks like a fire). Best ATs I've used have been the Hankook AT/M, the old standby BFG, and, my personal favorite, the Duratracs I currently have on my personal truck. Since the Duratracs seem to be a little more aggressive than you appear to be wanting, I would suggest the Hankooks.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

What did you end up gettin?

My hankooks prolly aint gonna last long once i get the turbo on. So im lookin at the Nittos again. Or Cooper Zeon ltz.

Tires have gotten expensive!!
I paid 440 shipped for my 265/65/17 atm's. Now they are almost 750.

But then again i do like the cooper discover AT/3's.

Quick Reply: Good all terrain tire that hooks??