TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Guys that drive on stuff other than paved roads club

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Coilovers made a HUGE difference. With the spacers up front it was bouncy and rode like dog ****. Once I got the coilovers on that was all gone and its nice and smooth. I really need to rebuild them, coming close to 70k miles with the coilovers on and the seals are clearly needing to be replaced.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:51 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Can you thumbs down the above post?!

I like the H3. Looking at that AR5/MA5 as a donor for the Ranger LS swap 👌🏻

Wifey is looking bae too 😂😂
well it sounds like i'm the first to tell you: unless you want a cost-prohibitive adaptation solution just to use that feeble transmission in a truck that likely has more room for a stronger one, i'd say get an nv3500. it bolts right up to an LS & can handle more power.

one of my wife's first stipulations when we bought it was that i had to LS swap it with a cam... to which end, i slowly started realizing why it'd only been done twice with a manual.

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Solstice transmission
That was a good one I never thought of that. Guess you made it back to the state of the free and the home of the maskless. Probably the best place to be during this "pandemic".
well it is... plus an AWD tailhousing. on the bright side, it shifts like a car transmission - especially with the Core shifter: buttery smooth, short, and tight.
SD's ramping up, though especially with Sturgis. they tightened restrictions all month on account of the rally. but it sure is nice being back.

I miss mountain trails a lot.

Zebras H3 would be fun on tight trails.
don't let her hear you say that - it's Mrs Zebra's H3!
yeah, i totally lucked out & married WAY out of my league with this one. that's actually why i covered her face... i wouldn't want y'all to see her with me & question her judgement.
The following users liked this post:
tjmath (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
Coilovers made a HUGE difference. With the spacers up front it was bouncy and rode like dog ****. Once I got the coilovers on that was all gone and its nice and smooth. I really need to rebuild them, coming close to 70k miles with the coilovers on and the seals are clearly needing to be replaced.
Coilovers are the shiznit. My fox probably need a rebuild but oh well run it till they quit working lol.

Originally Posted by _zebra
one of my wife's first stipulations when we bought it was that i had to LS swap it with a cam... to which end, i slowly started realizing why it'd only been done twice with a manual.

well it is... plus an AWD tailhousing. on the bright side, it shifts like a car transmission - especially with the Core shifter: buttery smooth, short, and tight.
SD's ramping up, though especially with Sturgis. they tightened restrictions all month on account of the rally. but it sure is nice being back.

don't let her hear you say that - it's Mrs Zebra's H3!
yeah, i totally lucked out & married WAY out of my league with this one. that's actually why i covered her face... i wouldn't want y'all to see her with me & question her judgement.
The current governor in SD must walk Bow legged cause she's got some big ***** allowing sturgis to even happen this year. It's a cesspool for all sorta of awesome nastiness without the kungflu floating around. Not no mention the majority of participants are probably considered higher risk.

What's the hardest part of the H3 swap? I thought they were based on Colorado's which came with 5.3s. Plus the pedal and everything is there just gotta shoehorn a NV in there.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This should meet the criteria...

The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Welcome to our sweet little club!

We should get stickers or something made for our cool kids club
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Oof, that looks like a bad night!

More reason to SAS 👌🏻
Old 08-15-2020, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymec
Ouch, Surprisingly I've only killed one front shaft so far, at least they are easy to swap. Its nice to see a fat girl wallowing in the mud.

I wish an upgraded front shaft wasn't so expensive. Maybe one day I'll get a set of RCVs.

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
Welcome to our sweet little club!

We should get stickers or something made for our cool kids club
What should they say? Make trucks dirty again?
I know I'm not very original
The following 2 users liked this post by dantheman1540:
chevymec (08-16-2020), tjmath (08-15-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 12:47 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

What's the hardest part of the H3 swap? I thought they were based on Colorado's [insert "platform" or lose the apostrophe... "heil grammar!"] which came with 5.3s. Plus the pedal and everything is there just gotta shoehorn a NV in there.
they are, and the H3 Alpha also had a factory 5.3 (LH8 & LH9)... but only with the 4L60.
the atlas series engines (inline 4, 5, or 6) used in the non-V8 mid-sizes has a different bell housing bolt pattern & won't just bolt right up to the LS compatible transmissions.
as for swapping an NV in with the engine... also been tried (3500 & 4500) - and since they only have shift towers towards the front (vs the Aisin's rear mount), it inserts the shifter up under the dash by the firewall without room to rig up remote linkage. and i think guys might've ran into length issues for the t-case, too.
we relegated ourselves to the standard intake, exhaust, tune as all the other 5cyl guys because even the low-boost blower & turbo kits were blowing motors (hence why folks quit making them for H3s... trucks're just too heavy)

Originally Posted by chevymec

psh... that'll buff right out.

What should they say? Make trucks dirty again?
I know I'm not very original
simple but accurate. soccer moms across this great country turned to 4door pickups & fullsize SUVs instead of the family sedans they actually needed... causing manufacturers to pander & throw all the non-trucky frivelous bells & whistles into work/offroad vehicles that never work or go offroad.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

And to think this was jusy a drive through the woods. Found a stump hole that was filled in but not packed. Broke 1 chain but $100 worth of links and hooks did the trick. In laws Massey Ferguson 4243 finally got me out after a good fight. Ol big girl is useless like this. My old '00z71 would of came out of that. That front end is heavy.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _zebra

psh... that'll buff right out.
It did after a mile limp out of the woods and a tow home. I tried everything I could to get the axle out before calling the wrecker but could not get it out as is. Cut the outer boot and tried to leave the stub in the wheel bearing and beat it loose.. And to think that axle is leaking again already......

Quick Reply: Guys that drive on stuff other than paved roads club