TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Hydro Assist with an IFS box

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love your truck, That crossmember is sick, I'll try to get some pics of my current process up asap, I had a buddy take some last night, but I need him to email them to me. I still havent started the SAS officially yet, but we took pics of my axles, hangers, crossmember, and all the other goodies I've thrown together, Oh, by the way, how do I post pics?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Find a hosting site, I use photobucket.com and just create a free account and upload them. Then paste the link on the 3rd line below the picture with the [IMG] tags.

Well I had to cap the steering box and to do so I needed a steel fitting so I got a coupler fitting and machined it a little.

Then I made a cap for the steering box in place of the plastic cap(while I had the box out of the vehicle) with a hole drilled in it to fit the fitting. Then I welded the cap the box and the fitting to the cap. Sealed it up and pressure checked it and found a pair of little holes and fixed that and put the box back in.

Also got a little work on the transmission done.
Got the inspection cover in, GM part number 15671930. I bought it from another parts store for $58, not sure if its cheaper from GM or not but its a way to get it.

Also finished up making new transmission cooler hardlines. Yes I fucked up and left one of the fittings in the bends, oh well, I only needed one of them.

Actually I don't think you can see that mistake in the picture, oh well.

Also put the grill shell back on, fit without any trimming at all over the new cooler and moved tranny turned PS cooler.

Also found this laying at SIMMS in the used pile of stuffs. ~$40 for a 10sqft section of .200" plate sounded good even if it was a little heavier than I wanted.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Man, I wish I would have known you needed an inspection cover, I've got 2 extras, I would have given you one for like 10 bucks, lol, oh well.

Last edited by mr.black; 08-29-2006 at 01:19 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

From what I hear full hydro steering is illegal on passenger vehicles in some states, if any one plans on that you may want to check local laws before you do it.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mr.black
Man, I wish I would have known you needed an inspection cover, I've got 2 extras, I would have given you one for like 10 bucks, lol, oh well.
You have 6 bolt 80e covers laying around? Man, I missed the boat

Originally Posted by 01-Z71
From what I hear full hydro steering is illegal on passenger vehicles in some states, if any one plans on that you may want to check local laws before you do it.
From what I have seen the talk of hydro assist issue in states is like the issue of beadlocked wheels, nobody can seem to find a law specifically saying you either need a mechanical linkage or can't have just a hydraulic linkage. I can't say its legal or not but thats how it seems to boil down in every discussion.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Ok, now its inches from done. I have all the parts, just need a little more time to assemble it.

Needed to cap the -6AN return on the reservoir as Im using the stock return line to the stock reservoir. I didn't want to pay for an $8 anodized Al fitting and another $5 to ship it for this low pressure app. So I got the thread size and pitch off McmasterCarr(9/16-18...fine thread btw) pickedup a nut, welded a bolt cap I had cut off for something else to it and put it on with a veryhealthy does of teflon tape.

Also put the -10AN to barbed fitting on the bottom and put on the 5/8" hose from the new reseroivr to the top of the old reservoir.

Just need to cut this up and put the fittings on and connect the ram and Im done finally.

Last edited by bggrnchvy; 08-31-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Regular

Great write up. I used Pirate for the same exact set-up on my XJ. The amazing thing about "do-it-yourself" hydro assist, is that I was able to buy everything I needed for under $200.00.

Again, thanks for the write up.