TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

lift/wheels/tires question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting a Superlift. Its the only lift that gives a true 6" lift.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9GMC9
SkyJacker, Rancho, Fabtech, Trail Master, Rough Country are some of the best, and like JT said, RCD lifts are good for Chevy's and GMC. I say stay away from Pro Comp suspension lifs, **** I'd say stay away from Pro Comp everything. Too much hype and lil performance. I didnt read the whole thread but if you want some good *** performace in a tire(and in case if you do want to do some light off-roading,,,which you will every now and again) I'd say get some BFG AT's.
The new Rough Country kits look pretty solid, Rancho is a proven kit also. Sky Jacker and Trail Master are garbage in my opinion. The Procomp 6" fulldrop is 10x better than the Superlift 6" kit. I've seen a Superlift UCA drop break in person, although they have since changed the design of the drop, I still wouldn't want one... too many pieces. You can't lose with a Rancho, RCD, or Procomp 6" kit. Whatever size wheel you go with, get some Terra Grapplers, those will be on my truck sooner or later, as I'm getting tired of my X Terrains.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Have you thought of maybe a body lift? 3". Less expensive. And since its more cosmetic it might fit your need.

Of all the lifts mentioned. I like the Superlift F.I.T. I searched and researched and read and did some more reading.

But for me in the end I think I will go with a Body Lift for my Silverado. I don't do any off roading. And I am looking for more of a cosmetic lift. My wife has a Wrangler if I want to do some serious off roading. My truck is my daily driver.

Good luck. Its a tough decision. But remember this....everyone of those suspension companies listed are in business because people buy their stuff and make money doing it.

Also check out this place. www.cognitomotorsports.com thats a REALLY nice setup. Its a full drop AND knuckle lift all in one package. REALLY REALLY nice.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doug 97SS

Also check out this place. www.cognitomotorsports.com thats a REALLY nice setup. Its a full drop AND knuckle lift all in one package. REALLY REALLY nice.
Best kit out, just a bit pricey. I know Justin (Owner) and a few friends had the kit on their trucks, definitely a solid and quality product.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm a little curious as to why people dog on Pro-Comp lifts yet they can never explain why, other than "they suck."

The pro-comp lifts are your best bang for your buck. There is a guy on ebay selling them for $1050 with shocks. Many guys have bought from him too with great results.

Ranch is good but it is only a 4" lift with a 2" crank to 6".

Your best bet is to get a lift like Pro-Comp's where it drops the front differential the full 6"

Fabtech only drops the front diff 4.5".

Ranch,Fabtech,ProComp, Cognito, Full Throttle, RCD, and Rancho are all great lifts.

I have seen the rough country lift and honestly I think it's poorly made. I saw a RC lift for a dodge and the spindles weren't even drilled through all the way, and the kit came with the wrong shocks.

If it were me in your position I would run the procomp 6" lift crank it another 1.5", run some 20x10 rims on some 35/12.50/20 mud grapplers or toyo mud terrains.

EDIT- Also the Skyjacker and Trailmaster lifts have very bad reputations.The trailmaster lift is notorious for brakets breaking and the skyjacker lift isn't made well(from what I've read).

Alot of people just assume skyjacker and trailmaster lifts are good because the 88-98 lifts they offered were good.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM

The pro comp ony gives a true 4 3/4" lift from center of hub to top of fender.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Teching In

What wheels/tires would you reccomend with the lift i like the look of a 20inch wheel with a lift. Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Figured I would chime in on this one.... I know I don't post a lot, but I do live in Southwest AZ really close to CA, like 2.5 hours to San Diego. So I have been seeing the lifts (damn near all of them) first hand. Since everyone around here has a lift on their truck besides me.

I cannot remember which issue it was, but Peterson's Off Road Magazine did a COMPLETE write up on lift kits for the GM lineup of trucks. Really guys, DAMN good article. It made me change my mind on a few lifts.

Here is a rundown of what they did. They offered the option to FIFTEEN different manufacturers of the typical 6" kit for the 99-06 GM full size truck. Now out of the fifteen only NINE showed up. Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, Procomp, RCD, Trailmaster, CST, Rough Country and RockKrawler. All companies were told they could bring the "Top of the Line" kit with all the extra accessories they can include for additional charge. Like the dual fox shocks or whathaveyou. If I remember right only one (I think Trailmaster) came with their Basic kit and nothing more.

They tested the kits with the same setups on them. ALL ran the same 35" Procomp tires on the same 17x9 Procomp wheels (donated by Procomp). They tested them in three different scenarios. 1. Daily type driving on normal, rural, and backcountry roads. They tested them with approx 400lbs of water in the traction bladders in the beds of the trucks. 2. Fire access roads and rough country trail roads. 3. The sand dunes.

Now they also did write ups on the ease of installation, the cleanliness of the kit, and how much "height" the truck recieved from hub center to bottom of fender. Even though Rancho only claims 4", they said without cranking the crap out of the torsions, the Rancho was just over 5". The highest of them all was the Rockkrawler, cuz their kit is an 8.5"

Overall winner was CST, gave the best performance in the Sand Dunes, the most lift of any of the kits (Almost 7"), and didn't perform bad anywhere else.

The one Kit I will definitely stay away from is Fabtech!!!! They didn't even go to the event. Kinda makes you wonder a little bit about their "Racing Proven Technology" doesn't it. I am also not a big fan of the 2 piece crossmember unit to lower the differentials on kits like Pro Comp, RCD, Rough Country. The one piece kits like Rancho, CST, and Tough Country are nice pieces. The Rough Country's NTD kit is nice as the torsion bars stay in the factory location, no drop!!!

Now the most expensive kit of the above is the RockKrawler. It is 4500.00 for the basic and 8000.00 for the one they tested, which put a coil over shock all four corners. Removed the torsion bars, and is basically a real bolt on "Prerunner" style kit. There was a company out there a few years ago called "R & B Offroad Design" that had a kit for ONLY 2000.00. That removed the torsion bars and put coil overs on the front of the 4x4 GM's. But they went out of business.

But I myself think I will be getting the CST kit, unless I win the lottery, then it is the RockKrawler!!!

Hope this helps. The cover of the mag has a white GM truck launchin off a sand dune with the "RockKrawler" sticker on the whole side of the truck.

Laters.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 PM

I have that article infront of me now. The CST shouldnt have won IMHO. It only placed in a few of the tests, but if you look at the Superlift, it placed in every test in the top 3. That to me is a better performing lift and what set me to get one when the time comes. I dont know why the named CST the winner. Also the CST had a CLAMINED lift if 7" (more than any others), but still only provided an ACTUAL lift of 6 1/8. The Super lift had a claimed lift of 6" and actually measured out to 6 1/8. Thats sounds like a better one to me. They were the ONLY lift tested to provide the actual claimed lift.

The CST was also $4200 "as tested" and the Superlift was $2147. Also a BIG difference.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

My .02, I have a procomp 6" lift on my truck, I love it

I got a true 6" lift, plus I am running the procomp A/T tires which are rated at 40-50K miles. So they look aggressive, and they perform great on and off road.
Everyone you talk to will hate one kit and love another one. Everyone else you talk to will hate the one the guy before liked and so on.......

Quick Reply: lift/wheels/tires question