TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

lsd or locker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AshmanZ71
It says not to use Truetrac with 33" or bigger tires. If that's the case then what would we use I'm looking into a gear change for 35". 4.88 gears is what I'm planning on getting but don't know what to get a locker or a lsd for the front and back diff.
Where does it say not to use Truetrac with 33" or bigger tires?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/...hp?product=252

Based on the worm gear principal and works like clutch type positraction. Does not wear out, not recommended for tall tires over 33".

Detroit Truetracs are similar in design to the Gleason Torsen�, only the Truetracs hold up well with reasonably tall tires. They use worm wheel gears that work on the same principle as a worm gear. When the unit is loaded, the worm wheels are forced away from each other and against the case. They develop locking torque by the light friction between the worm wheels and the case. This light friction is multiplied by the ratio of the worm wheel which depends on the size of the worm wheel relative to the size of the side gear. The manufacturer can change the amount of torque biasing or lockup by simply changing the diameter of the gears, or the pitch and spiral of the teeth. A larger difference in the size for the worm wheels and side gears (smaller worm wheels and larger side gears) will increase the lockup force. Increasing the pitch and spiral of the teeth will also increase the lockup forces. Like everything, there is a limit as to how much lockup force is reasonable. Making the unit too "aggressive" will cause tire scrub during everyday driving and will cause the unit to wear out too quickly. All of the feedback that I have received from customers indicates that the unit works very well for mud and snow, while going unnoticed during every day driving. When used in situations like rocky trails where one wheel gets off the ground, the unit will not lock up 100%. Light application of the brakes will help the differential engage more transferring power to the tire that is still on the ground. For extreme situations where the vehicle will have one wheel in the air often a locking differential provides better power transfer to the wheel on the ground.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Okay here's something that is probably really stupid i have i guess its the auto trac or auto 4x4 button in my truck. do we have to install the EATON ELOCKER E LOCKER or it okay to just have a regular one, or the truetrac.. Just need to know if it matters before ordering the wrong crap.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

You can install a regular one if you want.

Big tires,and a lot of off road abuse,A detroit locker would be the way to go,as long you do not use your truck for towing.

If you do some towing, ARB air locker,Eaton E-locker would be the best of both worlds.

Only do mild off-road = Yukon Duragrip.
Street driven only= Detroit Truetrac.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 PM

i put my truck through some nasty **** the the g80 has been perfect for towing and off roading in the mud or sand. i still got stock 245's havent got stuck yet. alot depends on your off road driving skill level too.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevy2500hd
i put my truck through some nasty **** the the g80 has been perfect for towing and off roading in the mud or sand. i still got stock 245's havent got stuck yet. alot depends on your off road driving skill level too.
you also have an hd with a 10.5" 14 bolt rear end so your opinion doesnt really matter. there was never a major problem with the g80's in the 14 bolts just 10 bolts