TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

More Lift??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you notice on your leaf springs, the front eye of the leaf springs is fixed to your frame underneath the front of the bed. The rear eye of the leaf springs is attached to the shackle, and the shackle hanger on the frame hangs below the leaf springs. A shackle flip places the leaf springs below a new custom shackle hanger, giving you lift. See the link below for a better pictorial.

As you can see in the link, they usually offer full size trucks about 4-5" of lift depending on which shackle you use.

http://www.coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good thanks for the help InchUp, very informative...

I'll see what I can do with the front by putting some adjustment on the key ways. For the rear I would like to get rid of the 4 inch block and do the shackle flip. Also since I'll have to change out my block and U-blots I want to flip them up so I don't have the treads pointing down catching everything.

Once again thanks for your help man.....
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InchUp
If you notice on your leaf springs, the front eye of the leaf springs is fixed to your frame underneath the front of the bed. The rear eye of the leaf springs is attached to the shackle, and the shackle hanger on the frame hangs below the leaf springs. A shackle flip places the leaf springs below a new custom shackle hanger, giving you lift. See the link below for a better pictorial.

As you can see in the link, they usually offer full size trucks about 4-5" of lift depending on which shackle you use.

http://www.coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml
With that don't you have to change the drive shaft angle?

Also I know on the back it will bring the whole axel closer to the front of the truck, the rear will not be center of the wheel well.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevytruck
With that don't you have to change the drive shaft angle?

Also I know on the back it will bring the whole axel closer to the front of the truck, the rear will not be center of the wheel well.
Drive shaft angle will change because the truck would be lifted higher, making the drive shaft angle more severe. On my buddy's Dodge Ram that we just did the shackle flip to it moved the axle forward about 1/2", but to counteract that he just drilled a hole in the leaf spring perch 1/2" forward of the original hole so the axle is back to being centered in the wheel well. The pinion angle will change, that's what happens when you lift or lower any vehicle, but when you order new blocks get them with a tapered side of 4-6 degrees so you don't have to grind off the leaf perches and turn the pinion up. This way, the lift blocks will do the pinion correction for you.

Granted, this is all assuming first off that the torsion cranking leaves him with an undesirable stance. Crank the torsion bars and see if you have to touch the rear at all.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be taking a good look at it this weekend. As of now, without measuring just eyeballing it, the truck is pretty much level front to back. So turning torsion bars up is going to get the front a bit higher than the rear, just by eyeballing it. I had already planned on doing something to get a 1/2 to 1 inch out of the rear to get the rear a touch higher, so this might be my answer. I sent an email to DIY4X to see if they have any bolt on shackle flips for my application along with ORD.

Like I said we will see what we end up with and go from there.