TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Not another Lean VS Rake thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
RUNSWITHBEER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not another Lean VS Rake thread

97 Chevy silverado 2wd ecsb.

Ive been having handling issues with my truck since day one of the first lift.... This is not another thread about lean is cool or rake sucks, its about handling.. Ok months ago i removed the 7.5" lift and installed a 4" RC spindle and 1" block and i do have some lean, now its not extreme lean but its there!

I was reading on another forum about trucks wandering( And mine does ), and i seen that they mentioned the fact of lean will hinder the handling and control as to where a lil bit of rake seems to be the better of the two for handling. ( truck comes stock with rake, hhmmm kinda makes sense ? ) I have had countless alignments and everything has been replaced twice this last year, No im not kidding!!

So what im asking is , has anyone gone from rake to lean or lean to rake and noticed a difference in handling ?

I have no problem getting a 2" block if this helps, but if not i dont want to waste anymore $ on it...

I know everyone here has had a load in there bed to where it FEELS like the front tires are barely touching the ground while driving down the road, thats exactly how my truck drives empty......
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of rubber are you running on the current setup? My rclb with a 5" lift and 285/75 muds handled pretty nice surprisingly but I had it dead nuts level. if everything is new and tight on the front end and your front tires are wearing evenly (nice flat contact patch) I would say its something in the alignment a caster problem maybe. I would ditch the block for an addaleaf and have it realigned by someone whos done similar work. Do you have the paperwork on the spindles? If I remember correctly, it should align close to stock specs. I'd say get it level and get it aligned.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a lifted 4x4, i would rather sacrifice a little wondering then a little rake. Rake on a lifted truck looks horrible imo..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Tell us what kind/size of tires your running? If your tires are properly inflated, flat contact patch with the ground, and your camber and caster are correct, then it should handle no different than stock with some lean on it. My truck has 1.5" lean to it, and handles great.

What about your shocks, how old are they?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
RUNSWITHBEER

I'm running Nitto TG in 285/70/17 (p rated) on moto wheels. I'm at work so I can't grab the #'s for the camber/castor off my last spec sheet when it was aligned. I did the chalk method and the tires like 33psi in front and 30 out back and run flat . My shocks are about 6 months old and are the yellow Billstein HD's

(Edit) here is my last alignment specs.
Name:  securedownload-1_zps206e1efd.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  54.1 KB
here is a copy & paste from another forum.
I posted this because of the alignment specs only, not for the reason of the bulletin.

------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -----

#76-30-01: STEERING WANDER (RESET ALIGN ADJ.REP. STEERING GEAR) - (Jun 13, 1997)

SUBJECT: STEERING WANDER (RESET ALIGNMENT, ADJUST/REPLACE STEERING GEAR)

MODELS: 1997 CHEVROLET AND GMC C/K MODELS EXCLUDING 3500 HD

CONDITION:

AN OWNER MAY COMMENT ABOUT STEERING WANDER OR THE PERCEPTION OF LOOSE STEERING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

CORRECTION:

FOLLOW THE STRATEGY BASED DIAGNOSTIC STEPS FOR THE CONDITION USING THE SERVICE MANUAL, SECTION 3B5, SPEED DEPENDENT STEERING, DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM CHECK. PERFORM THE FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT PRELIMINARY INSPECTIONS IN SECTION 3A-2. VERIFY THAT THE FRONT SUSPENSION "Z" DIMENSION IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS PER THE TRIM HEIGHT CHART ON PAGE 3A-4.

DISCONNECT THE LEFT AND RIGHT TIE ROD ENDS AND CHECK FOR TIGHT OR BINDING BALL JOINTS AND THAT THEY ARE PROPERLY LUBRICATED. IF ALL COMPONENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS ARE CORRECT, ADJUST THE FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT TO THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS.

CASTER 3.80 TO 3.90 DEGREES

CAMBER 0.5 DEGREES +/- 0.5 DEGREES

SUM TOE-IN .24 DEGREES +/- 0.2 DEGREES

IF CONDITION PERSISTS, - ON VEHICLES BELOW 8050# GVW, ADJUST THE STEERING GEAR SPOOL VALVE PRELOAD AND SECTOR PRELOAD FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE DESCRIBED IN SECTION 3B1A. - ON SUBURBANS EQUIPPED WITH 6.5L DIESEL ENGINE, UNDER 8600# GVW, BUILT PRIOR TO MARCH 5, 1997, REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR WITH P/N 26068771 AND THE EVO MODULE, P/N 16259515. - ON VEHICLES ABOVE 8500# GVW, REPLACE ONLY THE STEERING GEAR WITH P/N 26068771.

PARTS INFORMATION:

P/N DESCRIPTION QTY 26068771 STEERING GEAR 1 16259515 MODULE, EVO 1

PARTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OP DESCRIPTION LABOR TIME E2020 WHEEL ALIGNMENT - CHECK AND/OR ADJUST USE PUBLISHED E9700 GEAR ASSEMBLY, POWER STEERING - ADJUST LABOR OPERATION E9740 GEAR ASSEMBLY, POWER STEERING - REPLACE TIME E8438 CONTROLLER, EVO - REPLACE E9995 TO CHECK BALL JOINT STIFFNESS IF NO TROUBLE FOUND

IMPORTANT: LABOR OPERATION IS CODED TO BASE VEHICLE COVERAGE IN THE WARRANTY SYSTEM.

FIGURES: 0

CAPTIONS: 0

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1997 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

And my truck,

Name:  securedownload6.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  63.9 KB
And another, i have not replaced the PS pump but im going to order one from Rock auto just because.

Variable Effort Steering Description
The electronic variable orifice (EVO) system increases or decreases the amount of fluid leaving the power steering pump. This provides the driver with a comfortable balance of steering wheel feel and power assist.

At vehicle standstill or at very low speeds, the system allows full hydraulic fluid flow for maximum power assist and reduced steering effort. As the vehicle gains speed, a variable orifice closes at the steering pump which reduces the pump fluid flow. This action provides a stiffer steering wheel response for an improved road feel and a greater directional stability at highway speeds.

A sensor mounted on the steering column detects the steering wheel movements associated with defensive driving maneuvers. A control module uses this sensor input and the vehicle speed in order to adjust the amount of current to the solenoid.

The EVO system consists of the following components:

The power steering (PS) solenoid actuator is located on the power steering pump discharged fitting.
The EVO/Passlock™ module is mounted on the instrument panel carrier, beneath the radio.
The steering handwheel speed sensor (HWSS) is located in the lower bearing of the steering column.
The vehicle speed sensor is located on the transmission output shaft or on selectable four wheel drive the transfer case output shaft.
The powertrain control module (PCM) is located in the engine compartment on the left inner wheel well panel (diesel engines only).
The vehicle control module (VCM) is located in the engine compartment on the left inner wheel well panel (gasoline engines only).

Last edited by Stroked385; 01-19-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen in the past that bad/ or incorrectly installed balljoints can cause wandering. Sometimes balljoints(or the knuckle in this case possibly) are impropperly meeting with eachother. Over torqued is often the case but if you have aftermarket knuckles maybe they aren't mechined properly?

Rake will have absolutly no effect on handling if the alignment is done correctly. The alignment(if done properly) takes into accound what the frame angle is and adjusts specs to compensate. The issue comes generaly if the frame is too raked and there isn't enough caster, basicaly rake removes some caster.
nose / bed this is what your caster should look like
If you lift the bed the caster becomes nose l bed and you have no return to center thus causing a drifting/wondering.

Your level truck has nothing directly to do with you current issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
RUNSWITHBEER

Unplugged The power steering (PS) solenoid actuator behind the PS pump and what a difference. Truck tracks straight and i dont have to fight with it anymore....

Steering is over boosted but its like driving a lifted caddy.......

SOOOOOOO SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTHHHHHHH..............
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

So what do you think was causing the problem? I've been having intermittent power steering problems with my truck, and can't trace it down yet...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM
RUNSWITHBEER

Originally Posted by fix-it man
So what do you think was causing the problem? I've been having intermittent power steering problems with my truck, and can't trace it down yet...
Long story but here it goes.

Well i have been chasing a ghost in my truck for 1 1/2 years since i had my Fabtech 7.5" lift installed ( by a shop ). the truck drove horrible after that so i removed the lift a year later and went to 4" lift spindles which i installed.

Still drove bad, better but bad! after 6 alignments later i was fed up with it. I layed under the truck and just looked at all suspension/steering components and realized something. When the shop installed the lift i gave them ALL NEW PARTS and they installed the centerlink backwards

the shop never noticed it when they did all the alignments.... But to date i replaced lower ball joints twice, upper ball joints twice, tie rod ends twice,idler arm twice,pitman arm twice, All parts MOOG! 1 set of Hankook 315/70/17 then 1 set of Falken 33/12.50/15 and then now on Nitto TG 285/70/17 and front tires are wasted rear still look new.

Now i just replaced the gearbox and flipped the centerlink with
one more alignment with a noticable difference now the tires dont scream when a make a sharp turn.

Still have a scary feeling driving the truck in turns and straight lines like someone is grabbing the wheel all the time and trying to put me in a ditch NO IM NOT KIDDING!!! Read on another forum about disconecting the power steering (PS) solenoid actuator is located on the power steering pump discharged fitting.

And no more scary feeling i now have control over my truck and let me tell you its a great feeling...

So if you have the steering assist crap, unplug it and try it that way. The system is way over boosted but atleast it dont feel like the devil is in control of your truck
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh okay, yeah having the centerlink backwards would throw all the steering geometry out of whack. I just looked and I don't have the power electric assisted steering, instead I noticed my headers have shifted and are putting pressure on my steering shaft causing random differences in steering effort.

But glad to hear you gt your problem handled