TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Old school traction bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school traction bars?

I have been running a home made set of traction bars for a few months. They bolt directly to the frame and the rear axle...There is no articulation in the rear end any more so my *** end is really stiff.

I am wanting to take them off and go a different route...Cal Tracs wont work because I have aftermarket hangers and would have to do alot of modding to make them work and at over $300 bucks IMO not worth the hassle.

It has been suggested that maybe I go with an old school traction/slapper bar. I can get a universal set for cheap. I am curious if anyone else has tried these or your thoughts about how effective they may or may not be.

Something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-2101/?image=large
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

i dont think those would work since the axle is below the springs
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also been curious if these would work on our trucks
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

alot of guys around here don't like them...i've talked to a couple guys that run them on trucks like ours with good success...silver-mod-o used to run a set...i don't think he was impressed though.

fwiw cal-trac does make a set of bars for aftermarket hangers...they're around $500 i believe though
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DozerDan
alot of guys around here don't like them...i've talked to a couple guys that run them on trucks like ours with good success...silver-mod-o used to run a set...i don't think he was impressed though.

fwiw cal-trac does make a set of bars for aftermarket hangers...they're around $500 i believe though
i e-mailed them and told them my hangers open to the top and they just replied to make them work I would have to do alot of modding to make them work.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Blown 427 LSX

brad, go with caltracs... awesome quality, and they will send you a set of modded (laser cut) hangers, at no extra charge. (you have to send your old ones back to them afterwards) i think they work with belltech and mcgauheys)

they look clean, and work very well. They are an awesome company to deal with too - they actually pick up their phone when you call!!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave it was good to hear from you last night...I wish the cal trac would work out.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the lakewood traction bars like you are talking bout and they work for wheel hop but thats about it i've never had wheel hop since i put them on. Ordering caltracs this week to see what the hype is all about maybe they will work better them and a set off rancho adjustable shocks should help me.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Launching!

I run these on my 2001 Silverado:

http://www.tuffcountry.com/miscellan...tion-bars.html

Cheap and work good on curing wheel hop. I'm running 35s and it controls my wheel hop.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the lakewoods from summit and have ran them for a little over a year. I don't have the overload spring and with these adjusted the right way I have zero wheelhop when doing burnouts. They do work, you just have to use your imagination to make the brackets. I bought some round tubing (3ft long and maybe 1/2" diameter), bolts, and flatstock. Basically the bolts go through the traction bar, the tubing acts like a spacer, and then a piece of flatstock on top and under the leafspring acts like a clamp when the bolt is tightened. I'll take pics as I know this is very confusing. Hope it helps though.

Quick Reply: Old school traction bars?