TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

rough country leveling/raise kit WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great info guys ...I have always been a go-faster but now getting in to off-road...hey I am all about saving $$$ I just thought without the keys it was a rougher ride ??but if all I got to do is crank and add blocks that works as long as it is the close to the same ride quality...so basically with the keys your doing the same thing just re-indenxing the bars instead of just cranking on them ,(2" or under of course),...Heck why would anybody do keys then unless they are going past the 2" mark...what would be the advantage///???? thanks agin for all your input /////
Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cranking or adding different keys to the bars does the same thing. You are increasing spring rate. The longer shocks would help with topping out the stockers(lots of crank) If you can get 2 inches from your stockers, go that way. If you add taller blocks(assuming Z71 herem they have 2 inchers stock) it would be very easy to over crank to get it level. Your ride would suffer, + you'd have bad CV angles, and prematurely wear front end parts. You can clear a 285/70/17 tire on an 8.5 in wide wheel just by turning up the stockers. That being said, I will probably be getting the RC set up nest year, since I'm going to need shocks anyway.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Almost forgot, you can get a Rough Country lift(drops the diff 4 inches or so, can achieve 6 inches with cranking) for a grand right now
http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_99-06_6.html
Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

yea I looked at the lift for a grand and I would go that way but man those look like a B*&^%$ to put on...doing the other I wouldnt go over the 2" mark on the torsions I would just add the blocks to go back to factory rake plus the two inces in front so a "total lift" ..actualy I am clearing everything just fine with the 285-70-17 it just looks goofy with the factory lift
Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your in the same boat as me then. I want some rake so when I'm loaded my headlights aren't pointing at the sky. At the same time, I would like a little more tire clearence when I go to bigger tires next time around.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really need longer shocks, I turned the Tbars on my truck and it rode like ***. I had plenty of compression but 0 rebound. Which led me to believe I had maxed the shocks out. I have a 1500 HD
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I agree about not really needing shocks. The Ford keys are a waste as well though. Cranking the bolt does the same thing. The keys change the index of the torsion bar. To keep the adj bolt in the stock location. When you crank the bolt after keys are replaced, it is too hard on the front axles, steering, etc. With a harsh ride. Yes people do it. But it's not correct. In the end, money wise or not, just crank the adj nut and add rear blocks.
That's actually not entirely true, Ford Keys do the same thing yes, but they are indexed differently so you have the capability to adjust the torsion bars more. The stock keys usually only allow for 1-1.5" of lift depending how old your suspension parts are and the ford keys can allow you to crank as much as 3"

Last edited by RandomHero; 11-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Here is my leveling kit with 33x12.5x17 MTZ's

And also with OEM 20" rims with 275/55/20 tires
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

Default looks great

That looks really good...I think Iam gonna go with the 6" rough country full lift after reading all the directions does not look to to hard...the only negative would be I just spent close to a grand on new TOYO 285 AT so now I hope it wont look like the tires are too small, but iam gonna do it anyway...
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

Default bought the kit

OK just whent ahead and bought the lift/levevling full kit for 2 bills out the door ...I didnt get the torsion bar tool because I will rent a ball joint tool and that saves 90 bucks will take pics when done and post...I decided that the
this would be enough lift with my new tires and 6" would be too much for the 285's...

Quick Reply: rough country leveling/raise kit WOW!!