TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Snorkel install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel install

Ok so ive quite a few Pm's and people replying asking about this snorkel...

So here is a quick write up, and a few picts...

First off there are many ways to do this, I did it this way because a friend of mine is a builder and has a thing for pvc construction lol....

Things you will need to duplicate my install:

1) Safari snorkel, SS60HF (Toyota land cruiser)
2) PVC glue,
3) PVC pipe,
4) PVC bends
5) Couplers & clamps
6) Plexy glass or plastic
7) Silicone i used 2 tubes but i'm good at making a mess.
8) self taping screws..

fist start off by laying the snorkel on the vehicle and decide where you want it, on mine i got it as close as i could to the factory crease in the body work..

Then eye ball it and see if that where you want it.. next mark that spot and get out the drill.. I think i used 3.5 inch circular blade but check the size of the hole to be sure. I taped up the body work, ( some say this will prevent the paint from chipping)

I’ve seen these kits sold two different ways.. Mine had a plastic template that i taped on the car to get the mounting hole.. I’ve also seen them with a paper template like your laying out stickers... once you have that on where you want it move to next step.

Take you a smoke or a few drinks to calm the nerves...
after you have that accomplished drill the hole in the fender!

I did the big one fist, so could adjust the snorkel to try to get it level with the truck.. Then comes the mounting holes... I removed it and used nails in the holes then put back on and pushed the snorkel to get little indentions to see where the holes needed to be.

Next drill those holes..

Now the fun and hard stuff...

On the inside there are different way to do this and the kits come with tubing, I scored mine off e bay so it wasn’t complete.. I found it easier to cut most of the metal on the inside of the finder out... this is tricky you need a small blade, all i had was drimel, and it didn’t work.. so i used a sawzaw..

Once all of that is out of the way you need to decide how you want it to run
I decided pvc from lows was the best way to do what i wanted to do..

I then removed the air box... i have Volant so this step will be different.

I took the box out and cut the side next to finder. I decided a circle would be the best... Then i took plexy glass and cut it to the shape of the box.. once cut i took lots of self tapping screws and screwed it to the box... Once finished, i then bought stuff from lows that lets the pvc slide threw the plate in the plumbing isle... i then cut the pvc and put that piece in with silicone and screws.. while this dried i finished up the pvc from the snorkel to the box..

*** if you air box has a opening on the bottom seal it up, the Volant has a 4 inch hole in the bottom. I used a rubber coupler cap from lows.***

Pretty simple here, pvc, and coupler with a two 90* bends..

Once it was all together i reinstalled the air box to the pvc... this was a major pia but i have 8.1L and parts don’t fit just right...
Once the air box was in i silicone the inside of the box to the plexy glass.

Then i installed the bolts in the bottom that hold the air box. once tight i silicone over the bolts...

The last step is securing the top of the snorkel to the windshield.. you will have to make this piece work... i took the suburban to the local metal shop and had them make them template.. it was like 40 bucks... I installed it to the snorkel in the mounting points then put it behind the rubber strip on the A pillar... I didn’t drill holes to mount the bracket to the a pillar. when the door is shut the snorkel doesn’t move... with my luck id drill the pillar and bust the windshield lol...
Attached Thumbnails Snorkel install-picture_751.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276542746.jpg   Snorkel install-picture_766small.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276542902.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276542859.jpg  

Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

few more
Attached Thumbnails Snorkel install-post-1307-1276543125.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276543141.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276543182.jpg   Snorkel install-post-1307-1276543364.jpg   Snorkel install-img00359.jpg  

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up! Do you ever go deep in water where this would be functional? Looks pretty cool
Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

if you're ever in water deep enough to get to your stock airbox, you're probably already screwed anyways lol.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

knock on wood i havent been that deep...

I have on many time gotten water in the stock box and in the volant... Most of them are sealed but when you take them apart there is a intake that feeds inside the finder... so speed and deep water can cause a problem...

Its been swimming slowley over the bumpers in the past. and a few times ive hit what was a small water crossing and had water spray over the hood but its never been "indeep"

I also put that water proof lube on the connectors on the motor too, but most new cars have that anyway...
Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM

so you did it more for the look?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool and smart move if you go threw water alot , people don't understand how much water sprays around under the hood once it hits the fan, or if you hit water with speed. plus that looks good first one i have seen on a silverado.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea the fans spray a lot. i have electric fans with cut off it so they turn off when water hits them.

Also i guess it depends on your air box set up... some are sealed some are not.. on the 8.1L stock box is open with a breather tube in the bottom.. so as far as water goes, you could run into issues in a normal rain storm and small puddel if it happens to spray the right direction.. With the volant the intake open was about bumper height.. so you could "swim" real slow i guess but still dangerious..
Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM

u usually turn the other way and back the boat in when i see deep water.