TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

so it hits me, i want to lift the truck more

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know, but post up some pics when you get it done!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...all/index.html

i found that article, so from the looks, i can use my strut spacer plus the liftkit for about 7inches of lift. then some Deaver leafs out back to do away with add leafs and blocks.

cant wait.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Go big and do the 6 inch with a 3 inch body!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
Um once again I disagree with you, cranking your torsion bars if there not sagging at all can get you 2 inches, but you will probably will have to get ford keys to get that much or more, also cranking 2 inches will not make the front 2 inches higher then the rear it will just level it with the back. Also a 4 inch block wouldnt be that bad for axle wrap...
Um, stock torsions on a stock truck....If you crank them "all the way" you will raise the front of the truck higher than the back. And when you see a lift kit of any brand that says 4-6" or 6-8". That is what they mean. You get a kit that is either a 4 (for the 4-6) or a 6 (for the 6-8). Then they tell you if you want the extra two inches, you crank the hell out of the torsions and it raises only the front of the truck up. That being said, the 4-6" kit comes with 4" lift blocks in the rear. The 6-8" kit comes with 6" lift blocks in the rear. (If that is the type kit you get). Now, the kit stated is a "A-B" lift kit. A is the actuall "lift" the front and rear get, B is the additional 2" that the cranking gets you.

This is how it has been ever since the IFS came out in 1988. This is also on the 88-98 4x4's only. The 2wd's had coils in the front and no torsion bars.

I have not seen a Rancho lift kit offered for the 4x4 IFS Chevy that was listed as a 6" kit. It was either the 4" kit or the 4-6" kit.

What I meant by the additional in the rear was you get the Rancho 4" kit and install it. Then crank the torsions to give you the additional 2" in the front, then get a 6" lift block in the rear to level it out. 6" blocks give you some hell of a lot of axle wrap. That is why I would go with a "Deaver" leaf pack. The Deavers are designed to use no lift blocks and give you the 4 or 6" of lift in the rear of the truck. You can also get Deavers for a long travel setup in the rear also. I think the most you can get out of a set of Deaver long travel springs is 18" I think. But that is wheel travel not lift, the lift would be somewhere in the 4-6" area.

I thought I was making sense when I typed but I guess not. Hopefully I cleared my thoughts up. I hate this, I know what to say and how to say it, but typing it doesn't come out right.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Regular

why would you crank the hell out of the torsion when you can add the keys and do it right..and no 4-6 nd 6-8 kits dont mean you just crank the torsion bars and thats the lift.. the cst i have is a 6-8 kit meaning 6 inches without keys added and the block it comes with depends on the truck you have.. i have a 4 inch block.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckie311
why would you crank the hell out of the torsion when you can add the keys and do it right..and no 4-6 nd 6-8 kits dont mean you just crank the torsion bars and thats the lift.. the cst i have is a 6-8 kit meaning 6 inches without keys added and the block it comes with depends on the truck you have.. i have a 4 inch block.
Uhm, you just stated what I did. Your CST kit is a 6-8" of lift correct? If you just put the "lift" on with NO KEYS, you get 6" of lift, right? Then if you add the keys in the front, you can get another 2" of lift in the front, right?

That is just what I said. ANY AND ALL lift kits that state x-y" of lift means you get x" of lift and then you can get another 2" to get y" of lift in the front!!

And adding the "keys" is still "crankin the hell out of the torsion bars".
Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

If your going 35's, I think you'll need more than 6". I've heard of lots of issues with the NNBS trying to fit 35's on 6" without major rubbage.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Speedextreme
Um, stock torsions on a stock truck....If you crank them "all the way" you will raise the front of the truck higher than the back.

Wrong, I cranked mine on the 05' and the 06'. Mine still raked a bit. The only time the front was higher than the rear is when I had 1000Lbs or more in it.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I am going with a superlift 6in with a rough country leveling kit under that. It will give me 8 in. I would just get a 6in if you are looking at the rancho. I only paid lil under 1400 for mine and its just as good as the rancho if not better. There certian leveling kits that work with certian lifts to give you more. I went with the rough country cause it goes in at the bottom of the coilover and will work with any lift. even new real coilovers. 6in will clear 35s with the right backspacing. 5 to 6
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
Wrong, I cranked mine on the 05' and the 06'. Mine still raked a bit. The only time the front was higher than the rear is when I had 1000Lbs or more in it.
I don't know, I did my '97 RCSB cranked up once to get .5" higher in the front, and then cranked them up again to the stops, to get it level again after the torsions sagged. Then I just did my Y2K ECSB, once to level it, twice to the stops to level it again, and that time it came out .5"-1" higher in the front. Then put the aftermarket keys in to level the truck out and now I have to go in to re-adjust the torsions again to get it to sit level, cuz it has sagged again by about 1".

Originally Posted by ob_silverado
I am going with a superlift 6in with a rough country leveling kit under that. It will give me 8 in. I would just get a 6in if you are looking at the rancho. I only paid lil under 1400 for mine and its just as good as the rancho if not better. There certian leveling kits that work with certian lifts to give you more. I went with the rough country cause it goes in at the bottom of the coilover and will work with any lift. even new real coilovers. 6in will clear 35s with the right backspacing. 5 to 6
Yes, but did you know that this will only give you that 2" in the front!!!

Why doesn't any one realize that a leveling kit is just that. It "LEVELS" the truck!!! Which means they give you the parts needed to raise the FRONT of the truck to match the height of the rear. If you add a "leveling kit" to a lift kit, it only adds 2" to the front of the truck!!! Because a "leveling kit" does not come with parts for the rear of the truck.

And on a side note with these so called 4-6" or 6-8" lift kits on the market today for the "torsion" IFS trucks. I don't think one of them comes with the parts to do two different sizes in the rearend of the truck. It comes with one setup for the rear, right??

(Now this one is an honest question) Let me ask this, for those of you who have purchased and installed a 4-6" or a 6-8" lift kit onto their trucks, which # of lift did you go with? Was it the smaller of the two #'s? If it was did you have "extra" pieces for the rear of the truck that would have given you the added 2"? I really want to know, because this whole time I have not known any kit stating a 2" difference in height upon installation of the kit to come with the provisions to raise the rear that 2". Just the front, and that is using the keys!

Quick Reply: so it hits me, i want to lift the truck more