TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Solid front axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do a basic one you could go with something like a hp44 from a 78-79 f250, 14b in back, run a divorsed 205( allows you to not have to change anything about your tranny). if you did that setup with custom leafs and a shackle flip in back and built your own brakets witch wouldn't be more then 100 bucks worth of steel, I'd go with a budget of around 7k to do it right with rebuilt stuff and a 35-37" tire.

Know for some things said in here. The hole ifs verse sas comfort thing if the sas is done with good springs it will ride just as good as any ifs truck does. also as I stated it doesn't take a bunch of money to build your own brakets. and can you do a sas for 4-5k yes but it will be bare bones with open open diffs. most likly not new parts in the axles and so on and so on. and ord doesn't make a kit for a nbs halfton just hd trucks.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black4x4
To do a basic one you could go with something like a hp44 from a 78-79 f250, 14b in back, run a divorsed 205( allows you to not have to change anything about your tranny). if you did that setup with custom leafs and a shackle flip in back and built your own brakets witch wouldn't be more then 100 bucks worth of steel, I'd go with a budget of around 7k to do it right with rebuilt stuff and a 35-37" tire.

Know for some things said in here. The hole ifs verse sas comfort thing if the sas is done with good springs it will ride just as good as any ifs truck does. also as I stated it doesn't take a bunch of money to build your own brakets. and can you do a sas for 4-5k yes but it will be bare bones with open open diffs. most likly not new parts in the axles and so on and so on. and ord doesn't make a kit for a nbs halfton just hd trucks.
Full Throttle made a SFA kit at one point. It was around $10grand.

EDIT-Also, I think that pretty much sums up my point. Yes you can do an SFA swap, but you're going to be using **** parts and you'll need to fab a bunch of your own stuff. There's always cheap and expensive ways to do something and in this case cheaping out will definitely cost you in the long run.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure there leaf kit was for hds only to I know they linked acouple of 1/2tons. the only people I know of with a kit for nbs 1/2tons is fabritech and it cost a bunch. and there isn't alot of fab in doing a sas axle swap, if he did what I said he would be looking at building his leaf brakets and a crossmember for the 205.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Black4x4 got it right. I was a former 4x4 fabricator b4 i joined the military, and going the divorced t-case route would be the best. Your most expensive parts would be your new wheels and tires. Plenty of time and 1/4 plate and you can do all the fab work, which wont be that much: mounts, crossmember. The rest you can build w/ DOM tubing ie: shaft from trans to t-case, front DS, crossover steering links. Also might look into a 2wd steering box for the crossover setup, 87 and earlier. Let me know if you need axles. I got them.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by hmatiak
Black4x4 got it right. I was a former 4x4 fabricator b4 i joined the military, and going the divorced t-case route would be the best. Your most expensive parts would be your new wheels and tires. Plenty of time and 1/4 plate and you can do all the fab work, which wont be that much: mounts, crossmember. The rest you can build w/ DOM tubing ie: shaft from trans to t-case, front DS, crossover steering links. Also might look into a 2wd steering box for the crossover setup, 87 and earlier. Let me know if you need axles. I got them.
how much can you get dana 60s forr?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

no need to swap steering boxes on anything 88 and up when doing a sas all you need to do is change the pitman arm. that is if your doing a 4 wheeldrive one the 2 wheel truck may have rack and pinion so you may need to swap boxes.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Launching!

A high pinion 60? ha at least 1000. You will def want to ditch the rack and pinion for a steering box.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

And a king pin hp 60, at least 1200
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by hmatiak
A high pinion 60? ha at least 1000. You will def want to ditch the rack and pinion for a steering box.
ok i knew at least a 1000, just the way you said it made it sound like you could get us a good deal, its not very hard to get a high pinion ford dana 60, unless its cheap then its really hard
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
ok i knew at least a 1000, just the way you said it made it sound like you could get us a good deal, its not very hard to get a high pinion ford dana 60, unless its cheap then its really hard
You can find a ball joint version, but good luck trying to find a king pin hp 60

Quick Reply: Solid front axle swap