TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Are these tires any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InchUp
Decent? Sure, for maybe the first 100 miles.

I will never put a Goodyear tire on anyone I care about and/or love. I see more Goodyears riddled with defects than I do all other tires combined. What gets me laughing the hardest is when dumb asses will come into my store and replace their 4 cupped, feathered and separated Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's with 4 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's. It just goes to show the stupidity of some people.
True i usually only run the goodyears that come stock for about 25-30k miles and they are pretty much worthless

and for the people that come in and put the same tires on that they just wore out are the ones that just dont know better that get the oil changed at jiffy lube and pay full price for their trucks/cars

Originally Posted by memnoch
Thanks Inchup for the info. The main reason I am considering the silent armor is that Sams club keeps it in stock. They don't keep the BFG All Terrain in my size in stock. They do have the BFG Long Trail in stock tho. I do a lot of hunting trips to OK, NE, IN, SD and I like the ability if I tear up a tire to limp into a Sams and be taken care of. Hard to do with any of the "local" shops, ya know?! The Silent Armor tires are load range E and 6 ply tread. I haven't decided yet.
if they dont have the size you want in stock they can get them pretty quick. I had them order some 305/50/20 bfg g forces and they had them at the store in about 3-4 days and those are kinda odd size tires.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by InchUp
Either your research or your thinking is wrong on this, because a 6-ply tire is typically a "C" range tire. 10 ply tires are "E" rated for 80psi and usually over 3000lbs/tire. What size exactly were you looking for? 265/75R16 or 265/70R17?

I'm looking on the tire itself inchup. It's the Pro-Grade series of the Wrangler Silent Armor. The info sticker on the tire and the sidewall have load range E. Rated to 80PSI. I do need 245/75-16. I'll check the Goodyear site in a bit.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I checked the Goodyear site just to make sure I didn't read the tire wrong. The Pro-Grade series that I looked at is a load range E tire.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...all=BSL,%20OWL
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

I'm looking on the tire itself inchup. It's the Pro-Grade series of the Wrangler Silent Armor. The info sticker on the tire and the sidewall have load range E. Rated to 80PSI. I do need 245/75-16. I'll check the Goodyear site in a bit.
Is your truck a 2500 or HD truck? Usually load range E tires give hell on a 1/2 ton that's why I ask. I have only put one set of load range E tires on a 1/2 ton before and that was an '05 F150 FX4. The truck hauls every single day and we didn't care about ride quality so we put on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers in the E range. If you are not a 2500 or HD truck try to keep away from 10 ply tires if possible. P metric tires are fine for a daily driver, but since you do a lot of hard-wheeling and hunting I think a load range C or D would be better off than an E. Not only will your tire bill be less expensive but your ride quality will be smoothened out considerably.

So the question at hand is, what are these tires going on?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I checked the Goodyear site just to make sure I didn't read the tire wrong. The Pro-Grade series that I looked at is a load range E tire.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...all=BSL,%20OWL
You bet they make an E rated tire, I'm with you all the way there. What I don't think is correct is that your E rated Goodyear only has 6 plies. 10 plies are more like it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Teching In

My ride is a stock Toyota Tacoma 4 door 4x4. I do drive thru a lot of cut corn and soybean fields during hunting season. I've poked my share of corn stalks thru tires,haha. Goodyear claims this tire has a better ride than other E range tires due to the fewer plies and Kevlar. Who knows if that's true?! They also claim the sidewall is re-enforced. This is why I asked for all of your opinions. I have mainly been a BFG All Terrain guy for the last 15 years.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

If you can fit a slightly taller tire I'd move you to a 265/75R16 instead in a load range C or D. I'd stick with the BFG All-Terrains over the Goodyears for hunting corn fields. I understand the situations you find yourself in too, since I hunt goose and duck every single weekend religiously on corn fields and rivers. I too have punctured a tire from a corn stalk but it was a 4-wheeler tire. If you go with the 265's your bill will be less than that of a 245 E-rated tire because you can pick up cheaper Nitto Terra Grapplers in a load range D. $168 for the E-rated Goodyear Silent Armors vs $133 for the Nitto Terra Grapplers in a load range D. Even if you were to go with 10-ply E-rated Terra Grapplers they're only $141 but with the additional size you're looking at more ground clearance, better load capacity and lower highway RPM's helping in the gas mileage category.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Leave a few ducks and geese for me please,hehe. That is my passion! I'm on the Oklahoma and Arkansas border so I hunt both states for ducks/geese. The Wrangler Pro-Grades are $165 a piece at Sams. Sams does have the BFG Long Trail tire at $131 each, they are load range C with 5 ply tread I think. I may go with them and save some money, more steel shot!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you really cant beat the BFG A/T for an all around best tire IMO, I ran the good years and was impressed with them, but I did end up trading them in for some BFG's because I lifted the truck, and the goodyears really make a truck look stock, my dad has them on his tundra and has around 55k on em and they still have lenty of tread left
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by venomhp
you really cant beat the BFG A/T for an all around best tire IMO
Just for ***** and giggles, try the Nitto Terra Grapplers when your BFG AT's run out of usable tread rubber. Any tire store you buy from will gladly upgrade you to the BFG's if you return the Nitto's in less than a week.

Quick Reply: Are these tires any good?