TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

towing with high stall conv?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know why you wouldn't run synthetic on a newly build trans. Sythetic cost a ton but that is the only down side! Runs much cooler, if it does get hot once or twice it will withstand it much better!

Give the trip a shot. I think you will be ok with the short drive, and big cooler you have.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt waste my money on SYN ATF, that dude burns up 3-4 clutch pack and you just ate how much money in fluid?

Id put the money toward a larger cooler.

get it up to speed in third and get the converter to lock, if your heating up the fluid with the converter locked then you have problems.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly i dont know why either, the trans now has 2500mi on it, everything is brand new and is all quality parts...id rather spend more on fluid than having to drop some big bucks again, ive always been a strong believer in synthetic but right now i cant afford it, as soon as i can ill probably go that route. and i figure ill try it once but if the truck acts funky or gets hot...probably let her cool down then just head on back home. nonnie what are you saying burns up the 3-4 clutch pack?? sorry man but im a little confused here, as for my "honda radiator" trans cooler, i dont think i can go bigger lol, if i can find one ill probably slap it in. btw i think i gave the wrong info yesterday about cooler location...it is routed using both the stock cooler and the external
Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

He is saying if you dump $100 in syn fluid then burn up the trans you just waisted $100. I don't think you will have any problems as is and the syn fluid will just be the icing on the cake to make sure it pulls with out issue.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well whenever i can afford it ill definitley switch it over to either the tci max shift synth or the amsoil. and for the record if this trans ever goes again ill probably go play in traffic blindfolded lol. guy that built it rated it to handle 600rw and said if it ever breaks hell take care of things. also cant i just completely bypass the stock trans cooler and just use the external to get cooler temps?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You could possibly bypass the stock cooler and get lower temps but I doubt it. Sounds like you have a plenty big cooler to run it alone it won't hurt to do so.

Seems like we are on the same page but synthetic is 100% the way to go, problem is you have to be a CEO to afford it sometimes!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

screw it ill just leave it how it is and see where it takes me lol and i can always experiment the next time im bored, full WOT runs and avg it out. as for synthetic ive always been a strong believer, specially after it saved my nova's motor. wish i didnt lose my job though my boss was a amsoil dealer and gave me crazy good deals. on the bright side with the new converter trans only takes 10 qts, so i guess itll save me a little bit of money once i do convert lol but i couldnt agree more on how high the prices are
Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

You WILL get lower temps if you bypass the radiator cooler, and it will take longer to heat up the transmission. During the summer when we have 90-105 degree temps I bypass the radiator cooler and run straight to my 40k, and then switch it back in late fall when the temperatures drop around the 40's throughout the winter when it can get to negative temps. One winter I left it hooked up, it was hell trying to get the trans heated up enough to lock the converter.

I'd bypass the stock cooler, and tow the car. If you're able to get your converter to lock up around 35mph like you said, and for that short of a distance, of all flatland, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i may have to try that today then lol, its only 80 but i definitley would like to see how much cooler i could get the trans to run. last winter with stock&external cooler without the stall i had a hard time getting the conv to lock just like ya said. but now im feeling a little more comfortable with towing the car, should i run 3rd gear instead of od? if i do i can get the conv. to lock up right at 25
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive towed cross country with a 4000 stall, held OD just fine.

Quick Reply: towing with high stall conv?