TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Trucks payload capacity and tow capacity ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trucks payload capacity and tow capacity ratings

Trucks payload capacity and tow capacity ratings

The new 5.3 chevys have 1600LB payload and 9K LB tow capacitys

Are these individual ratings or both at sametime? Like can I load up the bed w/ 1600LB then expect to safely tow another 9K LBs and be legal (in the eyes of the insurance co.?

I’m concidering a truck (not another express van) as new tow vehical.

Would like a camper shell which will be close to the total payload.

Currently towing 3K LBs w/ minimal cargo. Which is less than half express’s TC.

w/ a truck I could talk myself into a heaveier toy to haul.

can someone explain this.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2020, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weight on the hitch is part of the payload.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight.
This is where I see the 9K trailer weight as something that works under ideal conditions only.

If you run a 3000 lb trailer (hopefully 2 axle) you will have 3-500 lb on the truck.
It should tow nice, but any trailer will benefit from a load equalizing hitch, by limiting the motion of the soft rear suspension.

Keep in mind the camper shell also adds weight up high which tends to add to the sway potential of a vehicle with soft suspension.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

1. Never right size the hitch. Meaning, if the towed vehicle calls for a class3, use a class4.

2. Spend the money on a weight distribution hitch with sway bar and research on how to set it up. Often times people don’t set up the weight distribution hitch correctly.

3. If the towed vehicle is more than 1 axle, trailer brakes and a quality controller are mandatory.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Launching!

yes the towed trailer is a tandem axel.

I was actually wanting a overland RV type camper shell not a light weight shell to cover stuff in a truck bed.

I've got alot to consider apparently I'll need to upgrade to a dualley for payload and towability.

also this type RV shell won't be extended past the truck and hanging past rear bumper so I'm assuming a regular hitch reciever will suffice.

mad man are you still somewhere north of altanta

Last edited by thebrain; 02-24-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say that after pulling 8-12,000 lb many times with my 2500HD, I would not consider 9,000 lb with a 1/2 ton, no matter what the manufacturer specs say.
Also the 5.3 is a little down on torque for towing heavy weight. Towing on the level is one thing, but hills, turns & the ability to stop it is another thing most don't consider.
I don't want to count on factory 1500 brakes to stop me when the trailer wiring develops a bad connection & you have no trailer brakes.

Also the truck camper will make a 1/2 ton handle like a boat.... a much stiffer suspension is a necessity.
Most 1500's are relatively soft until the overload springs come into play.

A 2500 would likely suit your needs as most can legally haul a 3000+ lb payload & safely haul much more in comparison to a 1500.
The trade off is the lack of a smooth ride, which I can live with.

Yes, a dually would be great to have, but at the expense of extra tires, worse mileage & higher cost of license plates, not to mention the inconvenience of parking.
If I only hauled heavy or towed with the truck, I would have a dually.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Should say in the manual that the tow capacity is only valid under certain conditions, with a certain configuration. Those conditions are typical A) braked load and B) truck gear ratio C) truck options

My 02 Tahoe can tow 8500 only if its a 2wd, with trailer brakes and 3.73 gears, for example. With a 6800 GVWR (tongue weight/payload)

For your proposed build I would suggest a 2500 for the better axle strength, better tires off the showroom floor, better gearing and better brakes. The ride can be somewhat sorted out by balancing weight in the truck and playing with adjustable shocks. It will still be stiffer, but it will be safer and it will handle the load better and wont be on the ragged edge 90% of the time you drive it
Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I'm a little late. Clarification is needed. 1,600lb payload capacity is all passengers and cargo weight added to the trucks curb weight from the factory. Passengers weigh 150lbs.each for factory tow ratings. Example: 4 passengers (600lbs.) and a 10% tongue weight of 900lbs. for a 9,000lb. loaded trailer is 1,500lbs. payload add the WD hitch, weight now your over trucks payload capacity and GVWR. So no max trailer ratings mean nothing unless you tow without passengers and cargo. Understand 60% of tow vehicles are over their GVWR/Payload capacity way before they reach max tow ratings. So payload capacity is the limiting factor 90% of the time when towing.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Launching!

LOts to consider I've learned alot.from you Guy's thanks for sharing.

here's a image of the type camper I'd like notice it doe'snt hang way past the rear bed.

the only thing I don't like about these truck bed campers is not being able to crawl into camper from the truck. I want to sleep inside this camper for 3-4 days maybe more if weather permits

edit: this truck appears to have a welders bed not a conventional bed what is referred to a flat bed?

I'm having a very hard time finding a decent express conversion, I really like an explorer 2500 w/ AWD however not sure of if GM made them w/ 6 litre engines w/ AWD?
Old 07-09-2020, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

A bed like that is often referred to as a skirted bed.

You will never, ever, in your life build a 1/2 ton that performs like that truck you posted. If you do, it will be because you swapped in all the 2500/3500 components to make it happen

Not sure about the Explorer 2500, this is the first I am hearing of it, will need to google-fu that one

Quick Reply: Trucks payload capacity and tow capacity ratings