TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Trucks payload capacity and tow capacity ratings

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is the type tow vehcle I'm used to.

ideally I would like AWD and 5 doors.

I've been searching however these vans are very hard to find. actuelly even cargos are hard to find because people are living full time in vans nowadays.

I'll proballey end up w/ a older 5 door and do a 5.3 to 6.0 4L80 swap rear wheel drive.I think it's a direct swap.

Last edited by thebrain; 07-09-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 801 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I can say that after pulling 8-12,000 lb many times with my 2500HD, I would not consider 9,000 lb with a 1/2 ton, no matter what the manufacturer specs say.
Also the 5.3 is a little down on torque for towing heavy weight. Towing on the level is one thing, but hills, turns & the ability to stop it is another thing most don't consider.
I don't want to count on factory 1500 brakes to stop me when the trailer wiring develops a bad connection & you have no trailer brakes.

Also the truck camper will make a 1/2 ton handle like a boat.... a much stiffer suspension is a necessity.
Most 1500's are relatively soft until the overload springs come into play.

A 2500 would likely suit your needs as most can legally haul a 3000+ lb payload & safely haul much more in comparison to a 1500.
The trade off is the lack of a smooth ride, which I can live with.

Yes, a dually would be great to have, but at the expense of extra tires, worse mileage & higher cost of license plates, not to mention the inconvenience of parking.
If I only hauled heavy or towed with the truck, I would have a dually.
Having just towed 6000lbs through the hill country with my half ton, I whole heartedly agree with everything here. Having towed with diesels all my life, this is the first time with a half ton and it just reaffirmed my belief that half tons are not tow vehicles. I never felt unsafe but you could tell who was in charge.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ another vote for 2500+.

here's a example of a 1800LB camper I like.

Couple ?s on the truck bed camper.for kingcab half rear doors.

1.elevatating/lowering I see a cog type piece at the top of each jack is there a engine that attaches to the this cog? I think the engine is allready there. Or is there a socket attachment for a breaker bar?

The travel light surports jacks seam very flimsy seams like a 20MPH gust of wind could blow her over.are these strickly for jacking and never relied on for complete surport.maybe 2 sawhorse under camper.

Also how do you Guy’s chain down the camper for both thieft and extreme wind, when it’s in the back yard

3.sugesstions on inlarging the front entrance hatch. I diffiently want a larger entrance. Plan to enclose half of rear window for larger hatch. Unsure of the desired seal inbetween TV window and the campers hatch.

4. apparently someone ran off w/ the roofs ladder or is this the way TL makes small ladders for the roof don’t see how they expect someone to reach that high.

5.the yellow height lights are they mandatory on vehicles over a certain height? I have sean these type height lights on conversion vans and always for cutaways.

Will the police pull you over for these height lights not working? Last time I was pulled over for a bad headlight light ( don’t get me started on HID bulbs) the policeman

Mentioned you’re lower side markers aren’t working either. Trailer 30’ overall length.

6.the pipe out the back is that for dumping the turds? And is blue fluid replenished each emptying?