TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

What tires to get??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh okay thanks, yeah i figure it'll ride a little dif but no biggie. I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 285/75/16's. Just gotta wait for next paycheck.

Last question, figured why make a new thread. Everyone says when you use the stock HD torsion keys to lift it (or even it out) that it creates problems with suspension and strain. If you were to get aftermarket keys wouldn't it still be the same?? Wouldn't the only way to fix this be getting shocks and suspension that's suited for the lift??

I'm probably going to jack the stock HD keys up a little bit just to even it out but don't want to go like a month and have to start replacing parts....
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive heard people talk about tortion lifts taking a toll on ball joints i think.... and also stiffening up the ride.

but mines, ride is good and i have aftermarket rancho shocks that soak it up pretty good. no issues on mine.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i can't quite afford new shocks yet i dont think so i'm sure my ride will be stiff for a little while. Any reason to go to aftermarket torque keys over the stock HD ones?? I dont really want to lift the truck high as it is a DD and will tow my T/A just a little leveling off and bigger tires should make me happy.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

I think it does effect ball joins and such, but it does ride smoother with reindexed keys in it. My thought is if it's softer it has to be less strain on the suspension than a stiff ride would be. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I ordered my keys from eBay- fat bobs I believe. Hundred bucks or so. They are forged keys, so stronger than the stock cast. The ready lift keys are laser cut solid steel and stronger yet, but more expensive. Mine also came with the taller shock bracket. Cost more to have them install then to buy them. If you can do it yourself not too bad of a deal.

You going with terra grapplers then?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh okay thanks for the information, i will have to look into them. Well money is still looking tight after this paycheck if i can sell some parts from the trans am then I am going to go with the trail grapplers. Probably the 285/70/16's, only a 32" but the 285/75/16's aren't out yet
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

def go with the Trail Grapplers....

sick looking T/A by the way. I got rid of my 94 Z and i miss it now lol. trying to sell my motorcycle to get an F-Body again
Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take the sway bar off it'll ride much better after you crank it up some..
How often do you really offroad? Ive got the old bfg mt's on mine rite now and ill never run an mt again,the noise gets annoying quickly..

edit; just found a set of the terra grapplers on ebay for $704 shipped..Also it looked like you could pick up the toyo at's for around $650-$700 shipped

Last edited by andrew383; 08-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Cranking your keys is the same as buying indexed keys. As long as you have the travel in the adjusting screw to get you the lift you want you are good. Usually you run out of adjuster before you get your 2" lift... so people get the indexed keys. In a HD truck 285-75-16's should clear w/o lifting. Also keep in mind that if you are leveled out empty and then haul a load you will be pointing your truck UP instead of being leveled... just FYI.

Also, don't settle with a shorter tire. Look around. Mickey Thompson has some great lookin tires. I like the Baja ATZ 4 rib they are AT's. They look like a MT but are quiet. Also the Dick Cepek FC-II's are getting great reviews in low noise and off-road abilities.
I actually run a Firestone destination AT's. They don't look super aggresive but do have a square edge from sidewall to tread. They don't make any noise and can take whatever i throw at them. And they have a 50K warranty. Just my thoughts... goodluck!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses, it's great to get other people's insight. Thanks for compliment, the T/A looks different now it's a complete drag car on prostars. Definitly a fun project but gettin a th-400 now so i can't drive it

I actually saw a truck on the road the other day with the Terra Grappler. It didn't have the kind of look I was really looking for out of a tire. I think i'm going to call nitto and see about when the 285/75/16's are gonna come out for the Trail grapplers.

Yeah I thought about that with the load in the back, only time that will happen is down the road when i tow the T/A after I get a trailer. I just wanted to level it out for the look really, i hate the sloped look on a truck it has now. I will look around I just really like the look and design of the trail grapplers. Only was worried about noise (my friends nitto mud grapplers get annoying).
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mickey thompson atz tire is a little more than an AT tire but wont be as loud as the mt..

How much do you tow or value the performance when you tow?? I had 285/70/17's on my silvy and when towing the jeep it just sucked big time..I have since went to a 255/75/17 which is shorter and its helped out alot..

Quick Reply: What tires to get??