TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

What would it run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took it out for a spin today - its first ever real drive since completion. Got the road and decided to give it hell. It slammed me in my seat and the engine roars and then I heard a loud bang and what sounded like a lot of loud back firing. Shut it off real quick and found that I ripped the u joint in half. I have 1310 u joints that came with my custom drive shafts. What is the best so I don't do this again?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt its less of a u-joint problem and more of an angle problem....Your prob gonna have to add a torque arm to keep the rear end from rotating when you get on it...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by andrew383
I doubt its less of a u-joint problem and more of an angle problem....Your prob gonna have to add a torque arm to keep the rear end from rotating when you get on it...
Yeah that is a problem I am facing by keeping the jeep factory wheelbase with 42 inch tires - the rear drive line is at a 30 degree angle. I am definately going to build a torque arm and will plan on 4 linking the rear in the future.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
traveling mod

Are you really going to use this offroad or is it a mall crawler??

You could get the Gen Rite EXT stretch package,its good for 5" or so..
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Are you really going to use this offroad or is it a mall crawler??

You could get the Gen Rite EXT stretch package,its good for 5" or so..
This will be a very capable jeep when it is all said and done. I didn't spend $35K to have a mall crawler - I would have got a Vette if that is what I wanted to do. I am more into mud and trail riding. I went rock crawling with a friend in his rig last year and I saw too many rigs ruined trying to one up the guy before. I basically wanted something that is off road ready and at the same time is comfortable (and safe) to take my wife and almost 2 year old son out for a Sunday drive on back roads in.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM
traveling mod

Wow man 35k???

I wont tell you you bought a bunch of bad parts but you could have went in a way different direction for way less money and had an awesome rig..

I know you have alot into it but i would atleast put a good cage in it..Being lifted so high to fit those 42's if you get into an off camber situation it'll probably roll over..Not something you have happen when the wife and little one are riding along....
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Wow man 35k???

I wont tell you you bought a bunch of bad parts but you could have went in a way different direction for way less money and had an awesome rig..

I know you have alot into it but i would atleast put a good cage in it..Being lifted so high to fit those 42's if you get into an off camber situation it'll probably roll over..Not something you have happen when the wife and little one are riding along....
Well said! I have a buddy that has a bender and has made many cages that is going to do all the work - I just have to supply the materials. Also found out today that we have another child on the way! Wife is due in May
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Need More N2O Mod

if you angle your rear pinion towards the tcase and get a dc shaft it will probably hold up alot better. less stress on the ujoints.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

No offense, those 42's are too much tire. 38's at most. One flex and you are gonna have some damage.

I assume a SYE on the T-case? If you have a double Cardian, you can angle the rear yoke to point directly at the t-case yoke. ONLY with a double Cardian though.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:33 PM
traveling mod

He already stated the rear DS is at 30* already..

Quick Reply: What would it run?