Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

4l70e tech info

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone needs to finish a 4l80 swap how to.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of someone using a 80 in a TBSS?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL
I'm sure the man has skills. There are sponsers HERE that can built one just as well, but that's not the point.
It's a weak DESIGN. It's a 700R4. (Seems like I get to type that at least once a week.) Polish it all you want, just keep your fingers crossed every time you nail the throttle.
Also, I would never put a transmission with a manual non-electronic valvebody into a PCM controlled car. With PCM or TCM control it can shift smooth when you want it to and snap your neck when you need it to.
Vacuum modulator? WHY! A properly programmed fully-electronic transmission's drivability has no peer.
Taking line pressure or shift control away from the PCM is just an easy way out of the programming and tuning work.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by James B.
Also, I would never put a transmission with a manual non-electronic valvebody into a PCM controlled car. With PCM or TCM control it can shift smooth when you want it to and snap your neck when you need it to.
Vacuum modulator? WHY! A properly programmed fully-electronic transmission's drivability has no peer.
Taking line pressure or shift control away from the PCM is just an easy way out of the programming and tuning work.
Interesting statement....I wonder why Chuck at FLT makes his trannies vacuum modulated then - is it because he doesn't trust the programmer (whoever that might be) to program them properly?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TBSS
Interesting statement....I wonder why Chuck at FLT makes his trannies vacuum modulated then - is it because he doesn't trust the programmer (whoever that might be) to program them properly?
If line pressures are calibrated too low in the tuning the result will be warped and burnt clutches from the excessive slipping and heat every time. It doesn't matter how well built the transmission is or how exotic the clutch materials are that are installed. Once clutches overheat just once they're done - that's it, there is no recovery. The problem is that not every home-brew wrench-spinner knows how to perceive problems with clutch slippage and may not have the means to make calibration adjustments in the tune.
Installing a vacuum modulator takes the tuning variable out of premature transmission failure, but it does not provide better streetability.
Anyone ordering a built transmission is expecting a warranty with it. In my opinion, it's unfair to expect vendor to provide a full warranty on something electronically controlled that he has no control over. Incorrect line pressure for a given set of circumstances can instantly kill a 4L60-E. Too much and you'll crack the input hub or gear carriers, too little and the 3/4 clutch pack will warp very quickly. Making one last requires calibrated line pressure, whether that be through programming or mechanically with vacuum, it still has to be right. Vacuum modulation makes it a lot more possible to guarantee a warranty. That's really the major positive point of it I see. Taking control away from the PCM will make it more difficult, if not impossible, to get firmness and shift points exactly to where you want them to be.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by James B.
Installing a vacuum modulator takes the tuning variable out of premature transmission failure, but it does not provide better streetability.

Incorrect line pressure for a given set of circumstances can instantly kill a 4L60-E. Too much and you'll crack the input hub or gear carriers, too little and the 3/4 clutch pack will warp very quickly. Making one last requires calibrated line pressure, whether that be through programming or mechanically with vacuum, it still has to be right. Vacuum modulation makes it a lot more possible to guarantee a warranty. That's really the major positive point of it I see. Taking control away from the PCM will make it more difficult, if not impossible, to get firmness and shift points exactly to where you want them to be.
Remind me again, are you for or against the Vac Mod?

Last edited by WILWAXU; 01-12-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Remind me again, are you for or against the Vac Mod?
Personally I would not use one. I can tell when line pressure isn't right and I have the means to fix it myself. For someone without the means to calibrate it electronically, the vacuum modulator is insurance for both the owner and the builder.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I have been told this as well but have not confirmed this. The RPO code for the 4l70e is M70. If that helps you any. Vince
I found this to be true with a trip to the dealer parts dept.today when he ran my VIN.I did get the impression all fullsize 06 has no input sensor and maybe only the SS for 06 M70
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PEDRO
anything new?
At this point I have the output shafts made out of 4340 billet and the 300m shafts will be here shortly. We are hoping to get the input shafts in maybe the next month. We will make an announcement when we have them in stock. We also hope to have a couple of the 4l70e cores in the next couple of weeks. This will allow us to ship you a rebuilt 4l70e and take your unit in exchange. We have to decide what we will be taking for a core deposit. I will post up more details as we receive them. Vince
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread was started to let the members of the site know some of the changes that have been done. It is not a thread to bash one company or another. Just an informational thread of some changes to the unit and what we will be offering in the future. FLT will have 2 4l70e cores in the next couple of weeks. At this point we do have the billet output shafts for the units ready to go. It will be another month or so for the input shafts. If anyone needs ordering info please contact Chuck at 1-630-350-7776.

Quick Reply: 4l70e tech info