Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

4l70e tech info

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit of info from GM to try to help with the input shaft questions.

Identifying 4L60E, 4L65E and 4L70E transmissions equipped an input speed sensor. Vehicles that use an ISS are not identified by vehicle, only by transmission code listed below. The transmission code can be found on the transmission case or in GM Vehicle Inquiry System (VIS) under the Vehicle Component page.

2007 models that WILL use ISS

7CFD
7SBD
7TFD

7CLD
7SFD
7TKD

7CVD
7SJD
7TLD

7KFD
7SKD

7KLD
7SLD

2007 models that WILL NOT use ISS

7CAD
7CWD
7PCD

7CAB
7KAD
7PKD

7CHD
7KCD
7SDD

7CJD
7KMD
7SZD

7CMD
7KZD
7TDD

7CSD

And something else.

Some 2006, 4L60E, 4L65E or 4L70E automatic transmissions may be built with a turbine shaft that has an Input Speed Sensor (ISS) rotor even thought the transmission is used in a non-ISS application. Also, GMSPO may service 2006 non-ISS transmissions with a turbine shaft that has an ISS rotor. These are both acceptable usages and will not cause functional concerns.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
A bit of info from GM to try to help with the input shaft questions.

Identifying 4L60E, 4L65E and 4L70E transmissions equipped an input speed sensor. Vehicles that use an ISS are not identified by vehicle, only by transmission code listed below. The transmission code can be found on the transmission case or in GM Vehicle Inquiry System (VIS) under the Vehicle Component page.

2007 models that WILL use ISS

7CFD
7SBD
7TFD

7CLD
7SFD
7TKD

7CVD
7SJD
7TLD

7KFD
7SKD

7KLD
7SLD

2007 models that WILL NOT use ISS

7CAD
7CWD
7PCD

7CAB
7KAD
7PKD

7CHD
7KCD
7SDD

7CJD
7KMD
7SZD

7CMD
7KZD
7TDD

7CSD

And something else.

Some 2006, 4L60E, 4L65E or 4L70E automatic transmissions may be built with a turbine shaft that has an Input Speed Sensor (ISS) rotor even thought the transmission is used in a non-ISS application. Also, GMSPO may service 2006 non-ISS transmissions with a turbine shaft that has an ISS rotor. These are both acceptable usages and will not cause functional concerns.
Nice info thanks alot...Very helpful
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Question for Vince. I had ordered the 70E input drum/shaft and got one of the first released for sale when the 06's were just coming out. It appeared to me that the 65/70E drum for 06' was considerably lighter than the previous 65E drum. It would make sense that they did this because of the LS2 and it's higher rpm. The LS6 only came with a manual trans so I would assume that when the LS2 was released with an automatic they attempted to lighten the input drum to help prevent failure at higher rpm shift points. I haven't went as far as to weigh the two, but I wanted to get your opinion on this. I think the 70E after modifications in the way of what you are researching is going to be a much better choice and not force some to go to an 80/85E too early.

On a side note, James B., you regularly comment on how weak the 60/65/70E is, yet from what I understand you have yet to beat the times that many have ran with what you call a weak electronic 700R4. Trucks such as Holty's that weigh around 5300-5500lbs race weight have ran mid 12's with alot of street and track use with the stock trans and only a shift kit. AZFASTESTSS ran low 11's with his stock trans with only a shift kit. 2004SSS ran 11.95 on 22's at well over 5000lbs with a 1.63 60' time, many track and many wide open street passes using his 65E built by a non-common name company. With companies such as FLT for example building 65/70E's the 80E swap just isn't the solution in most cases. An 80E and 10.5" 14bolt rear is crazy when 65/70E's and 8.6" 10 bolts are putting down better numbers with less weight, less rotating mass, and less cost... Not trying to take a shot at you, but I think you're taking credit away from what is becoming a decent performance trans, especially when built by the right company that has put alot of R&D into their work.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

On a side note, James B., you regularly comment on how weak the 60/65/70E is, yet from what I understand you have yet to beat the times that many have ran with what you call a weak electronic 700R4. Trucks such as Holty's that weigh around 5300-5500lbs race weight have ran mid 12's with alot of street and track use with the stock trans and only a shift kit. AZFASTESTSS ran low 11's with his stock trans with only a shift kit. 2004SSS ran 11.95 on 22's at well over 5000lbs with a 1.63 60' time, many track and many wide open street passes using his 65E built by a non-common name company. With companies such as FLT for example building 65/70E's the 80E swap just isn't the solution in most cases. An 80E and 10.5" 14bolt rear is crazy when 65/70E's and 8.6" 10 bolts are putting down better numbers with less weight, less rotating mass, and less cost... Not trying to take a shot at you, but I think you're taking credit away from what is becoming a decent performance trans, especially when built by the right company that has put alot of R&D into their work.
I believe FLT themselves have said, after working with Berserker and others, that the Level 5 4L65E is only good for a max of 500 RWHP. That's straight from the horse's mouth, so I wouldn't point a finger at James B., he's just one of the many messengers, and he's in good company.

Last edited by Mr. Sandog; 02-08-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TBSS
I believe FLT themselves have said, after working with Berserker and others, that the Level 4 4L65E is only good for a max of 500 RWHP. That's straight from the horse's mouth, so I wouldn't point a finger at James B., he's just one of the many messengers, and he's in good company.

James is often the most quick to reply to how junk this transmission is even to guys that are running 13's and 14 second quarter mile times and that they'll never get one to hold up. A well built 65/70E can handle 500rwhp (or a bit over). I can certainly understand Vince making that point and commend him for that. Many trans companies will advertise a bullet proof 800rwhp 65E that we all know just isn't feasable. If you point out what you think it will honestly hold without much problem than you are just being honest from what your R&D tells you. Some will get lucky and put down well more than that and have very little problem. Some will have a ton of problems at 400rwhp with the same trans either from driving habits or programming issue's causing failure. Keep in mind that a truck producing 500rwhp should have no problems running in the high 11's to low 12's if the setup is right. 11 and 12 second trucks just don't need the 4L80E swap because someone else did it. Berzerker's truck is a good example on the side of what I'm pointing out. A 408 with a turbo and lots of boost, good case for an 80E. A daily driven truck with a mild blower and 450-500rwhp just doesn't need an 80E...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thread cleaned up. Please keep comments on subject.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

James is often the most quick to reply to how junk this transmission is even to guys that are running 13's and 14 second quarter mile times and that they'll never get one to hold up. A well built 65/70E can handle 500rwhp (or a bit over). I can certainly understand Vince making that point and commend him for that. Many trans companies will advertise a bullet proof 800rwhp 65E that we all know just isn't feasable. If you point out what you think it will honestly hold without much problem than you are just being honest from what your R&D tells you. Some will get lucky and put down well more than that and have very little problem. Some will have a ton of problems at 400rwhp with the same trans either from driving habits or programming issue's causing failure. Keep in mind that a truck producing 500rwhp should have no problems running in the high 11's to low 12's if the setup is right. 11 and 12 second trucks just don't need the 4L80E swap because someone else did it. Berzerker's truck is a good example on the side of what I'm pointing out. A 408 with a turbo and lots of boost, good case for an 80E. A daily driven truck with a mild blower and 450-500rwhp just doesn't need an 80E...
The two factors that most determine the transmission you need are weight and power (HP/TQ)....1320 time is a derivative, not a primary function. After that, it's your suspension/rubber (do you hook) and the way you drive your vehicle.

If you have a 6,000 lb. truck with 500 RWHP and a 4L60/65/70E, you are going to be breaking your tranny unless you baby it all the time. If you truly want to tap that power and fully experience it, then it's time to start thinking about an 80.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billet is your friend....
Old 02-17-2007, 07:14 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see this thread back on line. I understand a lot of the points made. Please keep your posts to tech. Guy's please keep in mind that this thread was started to let you guy's see what some of the changes to the 4l60e based trans in 06 and later model years. As we at FLT have been finding out, also Zippy has stated, that these units can be a M30, M32, or M70. My first impression when I saw my first M70(4l70e) was that the ISS was what had changed and it was pretty much a M32(4l65e). We are now learning that GM has installed this sensor to monitor what the torque converter is doing. With the ISS the computer is now able to read engine RPM along with input of the transmission. The part that sucks is that these units are being built with and without the ISS. I currently have all of the parts to put one of these units together. We do have the billet output shafts ready and have been told that the input shafts are being made as we speak. I hoping to see them within the next month. I will also be attending an ATSG seminar next Saturday and they will be covering the new changes to these units. It should be fun to see what the real tech geniuses have figured out. I will post any new info that I learn. Also will post up some pictures of the new Billet shafts as I receive them. Thank you in advance for keeping your comments on topic and also to the mod that allowed this thread to continue. Vince
Old 02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Glad to see this thread back on line. I understand a lot of the points made. Please keep your posts to tech. Guy's please keep in mind that this thread was started to let you guy's see what some of the changes to the 4l60e based trans in 06 and later model years. As we at FLT have been finding out, also Zippy has stated, that these units can be a M30, M32, or M70. My first impression when I saw my first M70(4l70e) was that the ISS was what had changed and it was pretty much a M32(4l65e). We are now learning that GM has installed this sensor to monitor what the torque converter is doing. With the ISS the computer is now able to read engine RPM along with input of the transmission. The part that sucks is that these units are being built with and without the ISS. I currently have all of the parts to put one of these units together. We do have the billet output shafts ready and have been told that the input shafts are being made as we speak. I hoping to see them within the next month. I will also be attending an ATSG seminar next Saturday and they will be covering the new changes to these units. It should be fun to see what the real tech geniuses have figured out. I will post any new info that I learn. Also will post up some pictures of the new Billet shafts as I receive them. Thank you in advance for keeping your comments on topic and also to the mod that allowed this thread to continue. Vince
awesome! lookinf forward to the info

Quick Reply: 4l70e tech info