Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

DIY elec. fans for the TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006 | 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default DIY elec. fans for the TBSS

Here's a little wiring schematic I made for some do-it-yourself electric fans for the TBSS.. Depending on how cheap you can find LS1 fans, you can usually get this done with about $100, a few hours and minimal tools..
Obviously you will need to make sure the polarity on the fans is correct, I believe the white and light blue wires are positive.
And you will also need to program the check engine light out for the high resistance in the fan circuit (P0525???). Most people say the truck will go into limp mode, but when I did it, I ran around for several months without any power problems and that light on..
Attached Thumbnails DIY elec. fans for the TBSS-tbss-fan-wiring.jpg  
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

thanks, CEL out now?? I will look into this tomorrow..thanks, another couple hundred gone!
Old 08-11-2006 | 06:15 PM
Restricted User

im wondering how this will work for the flex a lite fan im startin on tonight
Old 08-11-2006 | 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice!! Thanks. As soon as somebody make a home tuner availiable, I'm on it.
Old 08-13-2006 | 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
im wondering how this will work for the flex a lite fan im startin on tonight
How's your progress with the fans ?
Old 08-13-2006 | 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Are the LS1 fans a direct drop in? Or would some type of holders need to be fabbed up?

Any other fan assembly a viable alternative?

Just wondering...
Old 08-13-2006 | 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
people say the truck will go into limp mode, but when I did it, I ran around for several months without any power problems and that light on..

If you remove the stock fan and clutch you get what TchargedLS1TA got, a check engine light and reduced performance light. If you ignore them, other problems could surface and cause damage and you wouldn't know it. ADM Performance (it is not cheap) has an E-fan conversion for the TBSS that is a drop in, you send him your ECU and he re-programs if for the E-fans. I have them, in Las Vegas heat, and it works better than stock plus gives you extra 8-10HP when you floor it. Just getting rid of the stock fan noise was worth it to me.

Last edited by Supercoolin; 08-14-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2006 | 03:59 AM
10 Second Club

Hmm, the ls1 fans look like a cheap alternative, I might have to try to find me some. Plus I could run a switch like we do on the fbodies so I can run the fans in the staging lanes.

Also, does anybody know if the lt1 fans will work? I got a spare set of those.
Old 08-14-2006 | 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skinnies
Hmm, the ls1 fans look like a cheap alternative, I might have to try to find me some. Plus I could run a switch like we do on the fbodies so I can run the fans in the staging lanes.

Also, does anybody know if the lt1 fans will work? I got a spare set of those.

LT1/LS1 are the same fans except for the mounting plate. The LT1 has lovers and the LS1 does not.
Old 08-14-2006 | 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 fans fit like a glove.. There is a lip at the bottom of the radiator which will hold the bottom of the fans in. All you need a a few zip ties up top to hold the top in..
I dont know where this reduced engine power BS comes from... I' have never had a problem with it. Like I said, I probably made 10 1/4 mile passes with these fans and the ECM never being touched.. If you have $800 to blow on some fans, by all means. But for $800, you can do the DIY fan mod, get a good cat-back exhaust, drop-in air filter and still have some left over for a dyno tune...

Quick Reply: DIY elec. fans for the TBSS