Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Okay... So I just bought an '07 Trailblazer SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay... So I just bought an '07 Trailblazer SS

Clearly, stock won't work. So I'm looking to get started with a few of the basics, and I've got a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone make a bolt-on intake kit that replaces all that friggun confounded sound cancelling garbage between the air filter and the throttle body? Where do I get one?

2) If I decide I just wanna go with a drop in K&N replacement, where can I get one of those? I've tried my usual mainstream venues with no luck...

3) When HP tuners finally comes out with a license for the '07, I intend to get one. Does anyone know where I can get some starting-point-programs that are known to show good results?

4) Can the computer be programmed to make the positioning of the throttle body venturi to be more representative of the position of my foot, and more quickly? The lag is annoying...

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buktseat
Clearly, stock won't work. So I'm looking to get started with a few of the basics, and I've got a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone make a bolt-on intake kit that replaces all that friggun confounded sound cancelling garbage between the air filter and the throttle body? Where do I get one?

2) If I decide I just wanna go with a drop in K&N replacement, where can I get one of those? I've tried my usual mainstream venues with no luck...

3) When HP tuners finally comes out with a license for the '07, I intend to get one. Does anyone know where I can get some starting-point-programs that are known to show good results?

4) Can the computer be programmed to make the positioning of the throttle body venturi to be more representative of the position of my foot, and more quickly? The lag is annoying...

Thanks!
1. AEM I really like the aluminum intakes vs plastic
2. dont waste your money on the drop in put it toward #1
3. Read stickies in the tuning section on ls1tech and here
4. I believe what your wanting is too get rid of the tq managment and traction control. Yes it can be done easily and your tires will hate you especially with an ls2
Old 07-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
4. I believe what your wanting is too get rid of the tq managment and traction control. Yes it can be done easily and your tires will hate you especially with an ls2
Well, it is AWD, so that shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. But that's not really what I'm talking about anyway. I feel like there's a lag between the time I mash the pedal, and the time that the throttle body is fully opened. It's not extremely dramatic, but it's definintely perceptible. I think it's the electronic equivalent of the throttle cable mounting cam that prevents the blade on standard cabled throttle bodies from "snapping" open.

But perhaps even more importantly, some dyno results I've seen seem to indicate that you can REALLY bring up the low end of the torque curve with some programming changes, giving this truck the neck snap off the line that it lacks from the factory...
Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Before tuning my '05 Sierra (dbw) there was a definate 'lag' in throttle response. I didn't have any logging capabilities but it was definately improved with tuning.
I step on pedal-engine responds, instantly.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks!
1. Not to steal anything from performancetrucks.net but yes there are multiple CAI kits available from shops in the US, just not sponsors on here (PM me for details). ECM must be reprogrammed as the CAI kit will cause a lean condition at WOT.

2. The CAI kits use the K&N filter already, so don't waste your money as they won't sell the kits without the filter.

3. There are multiple tuning options also available from the same shops selling the CAI kits. Some lock there tunes and some don't. Most of the gains come from TCM tuning.

4. That lag you are feeling is Toque Management in the transmission. Trust me, once you get your ECM/TCM tuned, you will be much more happy.

There are boards out there specifically dedicated to the TBSS and you can gather all of the info you would like. I like to use multiple boards for gathering info and perfromancetrucks.net and ls1tech.com are no different.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Restricted User

CHECK out trailblazerss.com they have tons of things on there. i have the 4 inch adm intake with 4 inch maf and its sweet. you need a tune though. with a bolt on cold air intake you run really lean and can blow it up. Read up over there and you will hear horror stories.

and people are blowing up their stock awd trannys. i had 2 customers whose awd trucks were stock blew up before 5k. For some reason the awd is having issues. they went street racing and did donuts prob made the problem but was covered under warranty. if you drive normal no hard driving seems to be fine but once you start abusing it street racing and such seems to take a crap fast.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

who would buy a tbss just to "cruise"?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, it is AWD, so that shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. But that's not really what I'm talking about anyway. I feel like there's a lag between the time I mash the pedal, and the time that the throttle body is fully opened. It's not extremely dramatic, but it's definintely perceptible. I think it's the electronic equivalent of the throttle cable mounting cam that prevents the blade on standard cabled throttle bodies from "snapping" open.

But perhaps even more importantly, some dyno results I've seen seem to indicate that you can REALLY bring up the low end of the torque curve with some programming changes, giving this truck the neck snap off the line that it lacks from the factory...
Thats torque managment that you are feeling, thats why I said you want to get rid of it and thats also why youve seen a big difference down low on dyno's with a tune. The pcm detects huge throttle transitions and trys to protect the driveline by not giving you power immediately. A shift kit is a great investment to help protect your tranny with a tune.
See post #6
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
and people are blowing up their stock awd trannys. i had 2 customers whose awd trucks were stock blew up before 5k. For some reason the awd is having issues. they went street racing and did donuts prob made the problem but was covered under warranty. if you drive normal no hard driving seems to be fine but once you start abusing it street racing and such seems to take a crap fast.
Well that's pretty gay - I have AWD, and I definitely intend to flog the **** out of it...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
A shift kit is a great investment to help protect your tranny with a tune.
See post #6
Two words - "extended warranty". I'm good for 5 years or 75K miles with the GMPP "everything's covered" plan. None the less, I might get a shift kit just for the heck of it anyway...

Quick Reply: Okay... So I just bought an '07 Trailblazer SS