Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

SS - AWD vs 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont get me wrong awd is fun but after a while i wish my sti would have been rwd. i was pushing over 550 at the wheels with a gt35r turbo. street races were fun and it hooked hard but sometimes i wish i could have just laid posi up the street and some fat S marks.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the transfer case in the tbss is diffrent from the one in the sss. is it not? its a torsen differential used as a transfer case. from what i looked up its suppose to be rather strong.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Ultimately in an SSS (and probably a TBSS) the AWD will limit how much power you can produce -- because it will break and because the transfer case can't be beefed up...

A properly set up 2wd truck vs. an AWD truck with the same mods? 2wd wins. Snow or wet? AWD wins.
Whats the proof that it will break? Whats the power limit it will break at? They are still too new to know what the limit is.

If your towing a boat AWD is your only option in my opinion last thing you want to be doing is smoking your tires when trying to drop a boat.

I picked AWD for two reasons snow and towing(boats and jet skis specifically).
Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Guess I misread the title -- thought the OP asked about an SSS, not SS. I stick by that statement for the SSS.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered abuser

Well, like I said on tbss, as much as I am on wet grass pulling boats and such, AWD is what im getting. Spun all 4 wheels last night in my truck on dry grass trying to pull the big boat out of my back yard not to mention it'll be better here in Sfl during monsoon season.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately in an SSS (and probably a TBSS) the AWD will limit how much power you can produce -- because it will break and because the transfer case can't be beefed up...
In a TBSS you will go through 50 4L70E transmissions before you will ever break one Torsen T-3. I would bet you'd break a 4L80E before you'd break a T-3. The transfer case is not the issue, but the load of traction on all four tires will certainly break a lot of trannies.

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
dont get me wrong awd is fun but after a while i wish my sti would have been rwd. i was pushing over 550 at the wheels with a gt35r turbo. street races were fun and it hooked hard but sometimes i wish i could have just laid posi up the street and some fat S marks.
With the new STi you can select how much power the transfer case sends to the rear wheels, which is kind of nice.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Teching In

A properly set up 2wd truck vs. an AWD truck with the same mods? 2wd wins. Snow or wet? AWD wins.
Me (AWD) and a buddy (2WD) of mine ran our SS's on the street in street trim. We both have CAI and Tunes. I also have a Corsa sport catback exhaust with my friend having headers/no cats. I was on 22's he was wearing stock 20's. From a stand still I beat him by about 1 1/2 lenths up to 110mph, from a 40mph role I would just bearly (and I mean barely) pull on him . Maybe its cause I have the fastest color (BLACK) LOL!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Restricted User

i have 2 awd customers and 2 2wd customers. when they were stock they raced. 2wd won every time. off the line was even and then 2wd would pull.

on freeway from 55-120 2wd would pull with ease.

Like i said get awd if you have snow etc. get 2wd if you dont. and honestly the awd gets old after a while i just missed having 2wd and i missed smoke em up sideways up the street )
Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

AWD faster than 2WD??? in the rain...that's about it... when I was stock I ran at the Track with an AWD more broken in than mine and beat him by .4 or more all day with nearly the same 60'... 2WD are putting down 25/30 more than AWD plus less recip & unsprung weight.... once in a while traction becomes an issue, but rarely do I leave more than 5ft patches & mine runs low 13's...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CenWaSS
Me (AWD) and a buddy (2WD) of mine ran our SS's on the street in street trim. We both have CAI and Tunes. I also have a Corsa sport catback exhaust with my friend having headers/no cats. I was on 22's he was wearing stock 20's. From a stand still I beat him by about 1 1/2 lenths up to 110mph, from a 40mph role I would just bearly (and I mean barely) pull on him . Maybe its cause I have the fastest color (BLACK) LOL!
That would be me I bet from a stand still it was more than 1 1/2 trucks I ran better G-tech times on the street when I was stock. I could brake stall as high as my breaks would hold me and barely spin. Since I put these mods on my 60' are 2.4-2.7 on my 20s.

Track times are coming September 9th for both these trucks. He will be on 16s and I will be on my 26x11.5x16 et streets

When my scan gauge shows up from Dub's group buy, I am gonna tweak my Wait4Me tune according to the data it shows and if I am still unhappy, Allen Nelson is getting a phone call.

Last edited by OUT2WIN; 08-23-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: SS - AWD vs 2WD