Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

TBSS air intake mods & E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBSS air intake mods & E85

My TBSS had run 13.9's @ 98 mph with just a tune and K&N filter in the stock airbox. This week, I've changed some things around, and I'm heading up to PBIR tonight to test the difference.

I've replaced the K&N with a larger Race Parts Solutions filter and transition. (Nice set-up, still in the stock airbox.)

I've also taken a die gringer to the plastic behind the headlight, to let more cold air in.

And, I've retuned and switched over to E85.

I'll post up the results tomorrow
Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mods worked like a charm
Back to back 13.7's
Best mph was 101.11
Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Teching In

That is fantastic .....Do you recall what the DA was the last time you were at the track ? Check out what the DA was on the 2 different days and if the DA was similar both days then you have hit on a very nice low cost mod ...Congrats !

Is your TBSS a 2WD or AWD ?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1blownss
That is fantastic .....Do you recall what the DA was the last time you were at the track ? Check out what the DA was on the 2 different days and if the DA was similar both days then you have hit on a very nice low cost mod ...Congrats !

Is your TBSS a 2WD or AWD ?
I'm comparing these passes to my time slips from a year ago in February, when weather was also mild. DA's are typically in the low 2000' range in the evenings at Moroso/PBIR during this time of the year. (The track is maybe 20 something feet above sea level, but being located in a swamp in South Florida doesn't do much for air quality.)

60' was comparable both nights, so track prep wasn't a factor. The truck picked up less than 1 mph and 1/10 at half track, but pulled like a bad ****** on the long end, leading me to believe the bigger 4" inlet RPS air filter set-up and trimming behind the headlight are providing somewhat of a ram-air effect at higher speeds. I was very happy to see almost 2 full seconds and over 2 mph improvement in the 1/4 mile.

The e85 might also be helping; I just changed all the cells in the Stoich table to the e85 value, and added 2* timing across the board (figuring I could safely get away with that due to the higher octane) from my old gas tune. However, its leaner than I'd like it to be with the stock injectors going static on the top end. Basically, I don't have enough fuel to make any more power, but I may try putting together a home made electric fan kit to put more of the power I've already got to the ground. Between that, and maybe removing the heavy spare tire and disconnecting the front swaybar, I might be able to put this pig into the 13.5's with under $100 total investment. (Truck is 2wd.)

Last edited by RAACCR; 01-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scored a set of take out 5.3L flex fuel injectors; now I've got plenty of fuel for the fire. Going to make some tuning changes and rescale the MAF once I get those in.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Launching!

sounds like a good investment. imo the e85 is what helped u more since its alot better
Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Nice times! Slap a converter in there. Weather is the enemy. I ran 13.7 in the heat of the summer with a CAI untuned. I went 13.49 in very good weather.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Although I still haven't modified the VE tables, nor scaled the MAF, the Race Part Solutions TBSS laid down a 13.429 @ 102.06 mph tonight at PBIR. Mods are just our RPS TBSS air filter kit, thermostat, and hacked together e85 conversion. Once I get the tune dialed in and swap this power robbing belt driven fan for our new e-fan set-up, this thing is going to fly
Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Teching In

If you want to check and see if your headlight mod is working , take out the passender side headlight and run it down the track that way ...alot of guy's with tbss's run them at the track that way to see if there is an issue with good ram air and I think you will find some additional power ! Good luck and great times

Quick Reply: TBSS air intake mods & E85