Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

TBSS or Jeep Cherokee Limited Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TBSS or Jeep Cherokee Limited Hemi?

Guys, I'm going back and forth between these two vehicles on paper. I haven't test driven either yet. My situation is that I have a 2k Trans Am with only 14k miles, and a bunch of mods, and that car is definitely a keeper, and where I get my performance fix. I always have a daily driver to go with it, currently an '02 Dakota Sport, low miles too 24k.

I like my daily driver to be a little fun to drive, but all-out performance isn't necessary. Reliability and good snow traction is more important. Both the Jeep and TBSS are about the same cost, and it seems the TBSS might be a better value and more fun to drive. The Jeep seems classier, more comfortable, better built, great tranny, and no slouch with the 5.7L Hemi. Right now I'm leaning towards the TBSS since I'm familiar with the LSx engines, love the styling, and bang-for-the-buck, but I don't think it would be as reliable, last as long as the Jeep, or be as practical overall. So could someone put on their sensible shoes and give me the best advice for a daily driver between these two SUVs.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go with a SS, at least until theres a good tuning package out for the Hemi
Old 01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
12 Second SUV Club

the tbss can tow, is that not practical(srt 8 cant)? The srt has the 6.1 not the 5.7.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

SS for sure. Guys are making good power and times with these stock.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
I'd go with a SS, at least until theres a good tuning package out for the Hemi

I agree with Alvin! Tuning is a big deal on these types of high powered SUV's. I love mine, I think it is very nice and comfortable to drive...Mine is incredibly quite inside also...But I was understanding that the SRT was around 10 to 15k more than the SS?.....Thats what i was lead to believe....But everyone knows what little parts it takes to make a LS2 fast....But the tranny's are the weak link for sure...Good Luck either way you go!....
Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks fellas, just want to point out that I'm talking about the Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 5.7L Hemi and NOT the SRT-8 with the 6.1L Hemi (which I really like but is even more impractical than a TBSS).

Also, since I got the T/A, I plan to keep the daily driver SUV as close to stock as possible. I'm not really interested in increasing the performance of either the Jeep Limited or the TBSS, whichever I chose. Although the torque management seems annoying on the TBSS.

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited by Predator; 01-14-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

To add, I worry about the 20" wheels and low-profile tires since I do a lot of city driving with potholes and curbs to worry about. The Cherokee Limited comes with regular 17" wheels.

I can't believe I'm even thinking about a Jeep. I always saw them as gay Yuppie-mobiles. The TBSS is flat-out cool!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:30 PM
12 Second SUV Club

o well then the tbss is the one
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

I think you're right Pedro, and I was leaning towards the TBSS all along.

BTW, your white (I think it's white) TBSS looks amazing with the black wheels and red calipers. Do you have any pictures floating around? I like the black TBSSs too.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Just want to update you guys. Since I'm looking for a daily driver, and I've already got a Pontiac Trans Am, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 5.7L Hemi, a Dodge Durango with a 5.7L Hemi, a Ford Explorer Limited, a Ford Expedition, or a Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 pickup truck. Nothing I've read has convinced me that the TBSS is a good daily driver, and those 20" wheels are a disaster waiting to happen. Also, as much as I love my T/A, when I started modding it I was really disappointed with the build quality and the poor quality of a lot of the stock components. I can't see that the TBSS is any different, but what's really chasing me away is reading about rearend problems and the weak tranny. I already went through the 12-bolt upgrade on the T/A, and I don't even know how you could solve the TBSS's rearend problems. I can't see that having a dealer replace these poor chunks with the same stock chunks is a very good solution. These GM vehicles are cool, have character and all that, but the build and part quality is amazingly poor. I don't know how GM gets away with it. Anyway, thanks for the help, and good luck with your rides.

Last edited by Predator; 01-16-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: TBSS or Jeep Cherokee Limited Hemi?