Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

TBSS or Jeep Cherokee Limited Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off you will never have a problem with a rear end in the TBSS...They are 14bolt, stronger than your aftermarket 12 bolt...Fords have no power and the worst gas mileage...Dodge dont have any resale value...All arrows lead to a Trialblazer ss...lol..Good Luck in what ever you choose
Old 01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks dude. So the TB's rear is strong, maybe it's just the differentials that are weak.

The Fords are down on power but I don't consider that a problem as a daily driver. They offer a couple small V-8s, the 4.6 and the 5.3. I'm on my second Dodge having owned a Ram and currently a Dakota with a 4.7 V-8. I traded in my '98 Ram for 14k and I was hoping for 10k at the time. A lot of trade-in value has to do with how good a deal the dealership wants to give you. My Dakota hasn't been without problems. The stock ball joints, brakes, and shocks were absolute crap, probably worse than some of GM's bad parts, but I replaced all that stuff and the truck has been great.

I love these LSx engines, absolutely amazing. I'll definitely test drive a TBSS before I make a final decision. A gym buddy works at a Chevy dealership and he said he could hook me up with a fair deal on a new TBSS. Thanks for setting me straight on the rearend deal. I didn't know the TBSS had a 14 bolt. I know there has been a lot of problems with 4.10s in aftermarket rearends too, but I'm sure that some people are really hammering their trucks too.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 5.7L Hemi, a Dodge Durango with a 5.7L Hemi, a Ford Explorer Limited, a Ford Excursion, or a Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 pickup truck.
Im not hating on these but from what ive seen:
Cherokee, Durango, Excursion, F-150(depends on aot of variables, motor, gears, tires,etc) Bad gas mileage for a DD.
Not to sure about the Explorer.
Some of the guys i work with have the Durangos with the 5.7 and get a grand total of 12-13mpg on the interstate doin the speed limit. Now i know there are alot of things that can make this vary.

Have you looked into a Titan or Silverado?
You looking for a new truck or used?

My uncle has a Extended cab Titan 4x4 and its his DD goin to work at Nissian (55miles one way) he gets 18mpg out of it and it has some nice power. No problems out of it and he is approching 90k miles.

For a good DD, why not a Silverado or Sierra with a simple tune and tonneau cover for gas mileage? I can get 24 if i drive mine right and 22 very easy.
Still be able to tow and all that stuff.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just remember lots of people are going to drive there stuff hard...The Diffs are good to a point..The way to go is two wheel drive...Now the tranny's are alil weak..But if you get a 2007 you get 5yr 100,000 mile warranty. The trucks are night and day different with a tune..I mean night and day...Like a programmer on a diesel...Night and day differnt...

Originally Posted by Predator
Thanks dude. So the TB's rear is strong, maybe it's just the differentials that are weak.

The Fords are down on power but I don't consider that a problem as a daily driver. They offer a couple small V-8s, the 4.6 and the 5.3. I'm on my second Dodge having owned a Ram and currently a Dakota with a 4.7 V-8. I traded in my '98 Ram for 14k and I was hoping for 10k at the time. A lot of trade-in value has to do with how good a deal the dealership wants to give you. My Dakota hasn't been without problems. The stock ball joints, brakes, and shocks were absolute crap, probably worse than some of GM's bad parts, but I replaced all that stuff and the truck has been great.

I love these LSx engines, absolutely amazing. I'll definitely test drive a TBSS before I make a final decision. A gym buddy works at a Chevy dealership and he said he could hook me up with a fair deal on a new TBSS. Thanks for setting me straight on the rearend deal. I didn't know the TBSS had a 14 bolt. I know there has been a lot of problems with 4.10s in aftermarket rearends too, but I'm sure that some people are really hammering their trucks too.

Last edited by hyde; 01-16-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you're going about this wrong. I think you should test drive them first, then narrow it down, especially if this is going to be your 'daily driver.'
Old 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TBSS
I think you're going about this wrong. I think you should test drive them first, then narrow it down, especially if this is going to be your 'daily driver.'
I agree.
One might cost $1k more but it might have an extra cup holder and ride better. You never know.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Im not hating on these but from what ive seen:
Cherokee, Durango, Excursion, F-150(depends on aot of variables, motor, gears, tires,etc) Bad gas mileage for a DD.
Not to sure about the Explorer.
Some of the guys i work with have the Durangos with the 5.7 and get a grand total of 12-13mpg on the interstate doin the speed limit. Now i know there are alot of things that can make this vary.

Have you looked into a Titan or Silverado?
You looking for a new truck or used?

My uncle has a Extended cab Titan 4x4 and its his DD goin to work at Nissian (55miles one way) he gets 18mpg out of it and it has some nice power. No problems out of it and he is approching 90k miles.

For a good DD, why not a Silverado or Sierra with a simple tune and tonneau cover for gas mileage? I can get 24 if i drive mine right and 22 very easy.
Still be able to tow and all that stuff.
I meant Expedition, not Excursion.

I haven't looked at any foreign-based vehicles like the Titan. I need to stay all-American. The Silverado is a very nice truck. I don't think the SS is as worthy of the SS badge as the TBSS is. Funny, I like the styling of the previous Silverado with the slanted headlights, but the 07s are much better trucks, sort of close to an F-150, even styling, so why not get the real thing.

I'm kind of tired of pickup trucks though, I've had four in a row. I really want an SUV. I like the Explorer because it's very comfortable and plush, and I drive a truck like a truck, so performance is kind of down on the list. Gas mileage does suck with all these vehicles. Even though I've had two Dodge trucks in a row, I'm not all that thrilled with their build quality, GM is no worse.

When I first saw the TBSS it was like love at first sight, and my mind was completely made up, but I started second-guessing myself and found myself pulled by all these other vehicles.I know the TBSS's engine's great because my LS1 is great. Styling is all business, simple and clean, nice job by GM! 4.10 gears are perfect, as far as gearing. The interior looks okay, kinda reminds me of my T/A with the same-looking console. It's looks pretty comfortable but maybe a little cramped. The leather in my T/A wasn't the greatest but just okay. Actually it's mostly vinyl with leather inserts. The TBSS looks a little better in that regard. Value seems outstanding, lotta bang for the buck.

Sometimes visiting forums you just read about problems because people write messages to solve problems they have, but it gives you a skewed perception, and it's easy to forget about all the people who don't have problems.

I agree about the test drive comment.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remember the interior is suede and leather...The leather is not the ole tough stuff like camaros and T/A's...I am 6ft 250 and i love the seats, feel and the room...Might be able to use a tad bite more...But very very comfortable...I think the front seats are extrememly comfortable...Just really do a head to head comparison of what you get with each one...You will make the right decision...DOnt sweat it...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
12 Second SUV Club

those other rides have poor gas mileage and they are slow.Atleast with the tbss u get the poor gas mileage cause u will romp on it and the 4.10s. Just test drive em all and see what feels best to you.

p.s.- see you around on the tbss forums,lol
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TBSS hands down

Quick Reply: TBSS or Jeep Cherokee Limited Hemi?