Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Tbss Or Srt-8 Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tbss Or Srt-8 Cherokee?

I was thinking about trading in the wifes supercharged 4-runner in for a TBSS. My buddy's wife want to get an SRT-8 G.Cherokee. So of course I need somthing that will compete with theirs. I'll probably mod it like my Silverado, but how close are they stock?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe the tbss is a little quicker than stock

the tbss has a huge aftermarket - LSX motors
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

TBSS for sure. HUGE aftermarket for the TBSS.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Need More N2O Mod

the srt8 is probably quicker out of the box. but like every one else said there are a whole lot more parts for the tbss than there are for the srt.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i believe the tbss is a little quicker than stock

the tbss has a huge aftermarket - LSX motors
Actually, the SRT-8 is a bit quicker stock.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock, the SRT-8 will kill a TBSS no problem.

At this point I would take the SRT-8. I've been underwhelmed with the TBSS in most every area. The motor is excellent (a gas pig - 12.5 mpg) and the suspension is decent, but gauging by the level of torque management programmed into the ECM/TCM, the transmission is weak and will probably let go with just a minimum of mods and programming.

If you want to get into modding, tearing stuff apart, and don't mind dealing with stuff breaking (i.e. the transmission), then by all means, get the TBSS. However, if you want something really hot out right of the box, then go with the Jeep.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBSS
Stock, the SRT-8 will kill a TBSS no problem.

At this point I would take the SRT-8. I've been underwhelmed with the TBSS in most every area. The motor is excellent (a gas pig - 12.5 mpg) and the suspension is decent, but gauging by the level of torque management programmed into the ECM/TCM, the transmission is weak and will probably let go with just a minimum of mods and programming.

If you want to get into modding, tearing stuff apart, and don't mind dealing with stuff breaking (i.e. the transmission), then by all means, get the TBSS. However, if you want something really hot out right of the box, then go with the Jeep.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely stock vs stock the SRT-8 will beat a 2WD TBSS and whoop on a stock AWD TBSS. Aftermarket is heavily favored in the TBSS direction. Main performance differences in stock trim are 5spd tranny in GC and lot higher factory stall converter. A tune and a converter in a TBSS and your out in front. As for reliability, the TBSS has had it's fiar share of issues, but anyone who says Chrsyler isn't notorious for their quality porblems especially in the drive train area, has their head tucked up in a dark place. A friend who rebuilds transmissions and drivetrain components told me Chrysler has made him a very wealthy man! If money is any issue, than go for the TBSS, you'll find it's hard to come by anything other than MSRP on GC SRT8's right now. TBSS you can get rebates, 0% financing. If you like to Mod, TBSS all the way, if you want something quick without touching it, GC SRT8.....both are very nice truck IMO
Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

I'd take a TBSS, for $10k+ difference in price, you could S/C that puppy and blow an SRT8 out of the water... er off the road for a similar price as a stock SRT8.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Tbss Or Srt-8 Cherokee?