Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Tbss Or Srt-8 Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are both great trucks. i have test driven the srt8 before i bought my tbss. No doubt its quicker but is it worth the 10k in difference. NOPE.

would i want to spend over 45k on a jeep no.

with coilovers, rear sway bar, and doetsch tech shocks i stomp my buddys tbss on corerning now.

Im planning to widen rear wheels to a 9 inch so i can put 285 40 20s in rear.

its up to you but seeing how there is a ton of aftermarket items for the ls2 engine you cant go wrong with a TBSS.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
They are both great trucks. i have test driven the srt8 before i bought my tbss. No doubt its quicker but is it worth the 10k in difference. NOPE.

would i want to spend over 45k on a jeep no.

with coilovers, rear sway bar, and doetsch tech shocks i stomp my buddys tbss on corerning now.

Im planning to widen rear wheels to a 9 inch so i can put 285 40 20s in rear.

its up to you but seeing how there is a ton of aftermarket items for the ls2 engine you cant go wrong with a TBSS.
You're forgetting something - if you add enough power to take an SRT-8, you WILL kill the tranny. It's not a matter of it, it's a matter of when. And because you have modified the vehicle, you will no longer have a drivetrain warranty. So, your investment has suddenly gotten much larger that the difference in price between the SRT-8 and the TBSS. You WILL be spending more on the Chevy.

Some people are made of money and don't care, which is cool - if that's your bag, then the money argument is moot. However, others will deceive their dealer and GM by trying to get warranty repair when they've clearly voided the warranty, and the rest of us end up paying in increased vehicle costs. That's up to the individual to decide.

There's another way to look at this - if you want a really fast truck AND a warranty, get the SRT-8. If you dont' care about a warranty, then get a TBSS and mod to your heart's content.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you kill the 4L70 in the TBSS.... Thats where FLT comes in Or maybe by that point someone has figured out how to put a 6L80e in place of the 4L60/65/70
Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TBSS
You're forgetting something - if you add enough power to take an SRT-8, you WILL kill the tranny. It's not a matter of it, it's a matter of when. And because you have modified the vehicle, you will no longer have a drivetrain warranty. So, your investment has suddenly gotten much larger that the difference in price between the SRT-8 and the TBSS. You WILL be spending more on the Chevy.

Some people are made of money and don't care, which is cool - if that's your bag, then the money argument is moot. However, others will deceive their dealer and GM by trying to get warranty repair when they've clearly voided the warranty, and the rest of us end up paying in increased vehicle costs. That's up to the individual to decide.

There's another way to look at this - if you want a really fast truck AND a warranty, get the SRT-8. If you dont' care about a warranty, then get a TBSS and mod to your heart's content.
not to burst your bubble, but.... Matt's Turbo truck (still NO TRANS COOLER!) has been running for 2 months and gets beat on everyday...AWD, all Strain no slip, trans is 100% & the best part???? NO Torque Management!!! Chrysler's aftermarket Sucks... this is only one instance but here is my take on SRT's in general..

I ran at Atco a couple weeks ago in 2154'DA (see sig) just my few mods, totaling a little over $1k (I paid less, $600) I was beating LS2 GTO & C5 Vette, 2 Charger SRT8's one supercharged (Slow @13.3 because he can't tune it..tell me that doesn't suck) and an SRT10 P/U.... my corrected run was a 12.95 @106+.. all the cars I listed ran either better than my 2.0 60' or the same, so traction was a non issue (GTO stock went 13.4, C5 auto ran 13.4, some mods), all I am saying is for very little money, you can run with and beat them... Not warranty wrecking mods either.. it's all personal preference.. are you a Jeep or GM guy??
Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
not to burst your bubble, but.... Matt's Turbo truck (still NO TRANS COOLER!) has been running for 2 months and gets beat on everyday...AWD, all Strain no slip, trans is 100% & the best part???? NO Torque Management!!! Chrysler's aftermarket Sucks... this is only one instance but here is my take on SRT's in general..

I ran at Atco a couple weeks ago in 2154'DA (see sig) just my few mods, totaling a little over $1k (I paid less, $600) I was beating LS2 GTO & C5 Vette, 2 Charger SRT8's one supercharged (Slow @13.3 because he can't tune it..tell me that doesn't suck) and an SRT10 P/U.... my corrected run was a 12.95 @106+.. all the cars I listed ran either better than my 2.0 60' or the same, so traction was a non issue (GTO stock went 13.4, C5 auto ran 13.4, some mods), all I am saying is for very little money, you can run with and beat them... Not warranty wrecking mods either.. it's all personal preference.. are you a Jeep or GM guy??
Mostly a GM guy ('73 Olds Toronado, '71 Monte Carlo, '03 Avalanche, '06 TBSS) but I've owned a Mopar (i.e. '77 Plymouth Fury) and a Ford ('95 Taurus SHO). I really like the new SRT line. I'd like the 300's a little better if they had more visibility, but I think the Jeep GC SRT is hot. I hate the styling (too square, liked the previous model better) but I really like the engineering. It's a Benz tranny in it, right?

I vote with my dollars and let the invisible hand figure it out. If GM sees my dollars going elsewhere, they should get the hint and act accordingly. One area where they have completely fallen down is the transmission department. I think the 6L80/85E should have been in every 1500 truck from the General from '05 onward. There's no excuse for resting on their laurels for this long. I'm disappointed.

It's hard for me to defect, coming from Milford, but I'm also someone who thinks loyalty should be earned and not expected.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

I bought a Trailblazer SS and 2 weeks later bought a jeep srt-8. The jeep is a hell lot faster than the TBSS, but if you are going to mod go with the tbss. I like them both but likely going to get rid of the tbss.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tranny is still holding up on my customers truck. i sold him the 17x9 rallys and 26x11.5x17 et streets 11.91 is his best. with a small tire like he has the truck is in the right spot going threw the lights in third on his tbss

mods for 11.91

yank 3400
100 shot nx kit
adm maf and intake
pullies
electric fan
sw long tubes with 3 inch cat back set up
and he did his own hp tuners tune.

HIS BEST 60 FOOT IS 1.501

honestly i cant see spending 40-45k for a jeep.

and for tranny the FLT Stage 5 4L65E is 2800 bucks.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevySSandChevy8.1
I bought a Trailblazer SS and 2 weeks later bought a jeep srt-8. The jeep is a hell lot faster than the TBSS, but if you are going to mod go with the tbss. I like them both but likely going to get rid of the tbss.
maybe you should watch this vid of a CAI (NO TUNE) TBSS vs a SRT8 W/CAI & catback Magnaflow... I know the runs were quick but even when the Jeep got the jump the SS hung in there.. and from what I can tell the Jeep's Trans (looser converter & extra gear w/closer ratios) is why the Jeep is quicker.. I have raced one when I was stock, it pulled me out of the hole (1.9 60 vs 2.1) but after that it was even, and near the end I made up some ground only lost by a car...

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthr...?t=3086&page=6

you're right they are quicker and handle better and are very nice, but like Norcal said, it's all about the $$$$ vs content..and whenthe dealers are marking them up over MSRP (which if anyone pays that they got a deal, and if they try to get rid of it, watch the beating they take!) it's a real disaster...
if they were the same money, real world money the Jeep wins hands down, you get what you pay for...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
maybe you should watch this vid of a CAI (NO TUNE) TBSS vs a SRT8 W/CAI & catback Magnaflow... I know the runs were quick but even when the Jeep got the jump the SS hung in there.. and from what I can tell the Jeep's Trans (looser converter & extra gear w/closer ratios) is why the Jeep is quicker.. I have raced one when I was stock, it pulled me out of the hole (1.9 60 vs 2.1) but after that it was even, and near the end I made up some ground only lost by a car...

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthr...?t=3086&page=6

you're right they are quicker and handle better and are very nice, but like Norcal said, it's all about the $$$$ vs content..and whenthe dealers are marking them up over MSRP (which if anyone pays that they got a deal, and if they try to get rid of it, watch the beating they take!) it's a real disaster...
if they were the same money, real world money the Jeep wins hands down, you get what you pay for...
I'm GM guy in general, I bought the TBSS first and thought it was pretty good, I by fluke passed by the jeep dealer and ended up buying it. I have them both right now, the SS has a better ride, but for performance the jeep is better. As for the $$$ content, I actually got the srt8 really close to the same price I paid for the TBSS awd all with the same options aka nav, sunroof, side airbags etc. I personally like the looks of the TBSS better though. If you are concerned about performance for the dollar, you shouldn't be comparing the jeep and the tbss they win hands down compared to any of the other performance suvs. I think the jeep is a great deal for its price.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:00 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove a Paxton supercharged SRT-8 Jeep a few days ago....it ran OK....but I was not impressed.

Quick Reply: Tbss Or Srt-8 Cherokee?