Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Spoolin
OP, I'll be out there as well, when you make it out to Cali PM me your number and we'll get in touch, I'm bringing a few friends who are gonna be my pit crew and I'm sure we'd more than like to help out a fellow board member.

Damn it dude!!
If you don't get your truck back together (which I hope you do) you still planning on coming out? I'd like to not be the only one out there. I haven't heard from Dave in a while so I hope he's still a go. This was supposed to be the first time the three of our trucks were gonna be running and together!!
Get on it bud, tell the piston dudes it's for a magazine article and it would be free advertising if they got it to you on time!

Thanks man...PM sent
Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice man, well give'em hell at the Truckin' event!

Keep us posted about the NBS 6L80/90 swap, I'm interested in the group buy. I'd love to throw a 6-speed in my truck, that would be killer!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn this seems like a bad *** event to bad we dont have stuff like that her in texas all we got is texas mile ..lol.. well as far as i know im a sheltered child hahaha

Good luck guys get plenty of pics for use!!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks. Made it to California with little incident...a little over 12.5hrs until competition. I think I covered all the bases. New 20x10's on 275's, new fluids (front diff, steering, race brake, engine, trans), new race rotors/pads, CAI, Cat-back, race sway bar links/bushings, and frame braces. Still working on that perfect 6L90 shift tune.

Wish I had time to do the plugs and do an engine tune. But I'll have to just hope no TM or BTM will be enough.

Attached Thumbnails TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-tbss-inca-throwdown-3.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck man! I'll be watching your progress intently.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

Well we didn't win...not enough time to iron out all the wrinkles, but we got a LOT of learning lessons on the TBSS, met some great people and had fun. 1 Jeep and 2 Fords (the Procharged Jeep SRT8 stomped everyone!) and not a single Chevy won. If we get the opportunity to come next year, we'll be prepared and WILL win!

BIG thanks to Nordstroms Automotive, Wayne Jones Performance Engineering, EBC Brakes, ColdAirInductions.com, SuspensionMAXX, and Classic Tubes. No way would we have been able to get it done without their sponsorship.
Attached Thumbnails TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011b.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011c.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011d.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011e.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Launching!

more..
Attached Thumbnails TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011f.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011g.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-throwdown-2011h.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-histroical-rte-66-blue-tint-.jpg   TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!-histroical-rte-66-yellow-lines.jpg  

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ao7kcLv_Hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYUk-8YDnw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80nQSa8PsbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irW1Z89qhZk

I worked out driveability bugs on the way out. What's plaguing me is that there are dozens of 6L80/90 TCM files and Operating Systems (OS) that must be matched up with specific ECM files. I was working with '09 OS's this time around, which are significantly different than '08 and '07. Each OS, within each model year, has different settings and parameters. Some you can tune, some you cannot. I'm working with EFILive to allow me to override some settings so that I can have ONE set of tuning that can be universally flashed in all TCM's.

The particular 6L90 TCM OS that I was working with is nothing like the 6L80 TCM OS I have in the 6L80. The "usual suspect" settings can't simply be copied and pasted. So the truck refused to give me a braked launch above 1400 RPM's bc it still essentially thinks it's in a 2500 HD truck. I had ONE magic moment when I got an AWD chirping spin launch, but then Torque Management turned the dash into a 4th of July event and sent the truck into limp mode HARD.

Another monkey wrench is that there are five or so pre-configured shift algorithms/settings in the TCM. I think I may have had a modded "tow mode" setting rather than the performance setting.

With that said the best I could get, on a weak roll out launch, was 13.9x in the 1/4 mile. Spare tire on board. Half tank of gas. Crappy California 91 octane gas. 71k on stock motor down to plugs/wire and clutch fan. More or less stock ECM tune. H-rated M+S tires. They didn't share the trap speed and the winds were all over the place on that air strip.

The gear-hold, instant redline upshifts, and instant downshifts made it absolutely magical in the slalom and roadcourse. Aside from the Jeep, I think I was the only automatic there. I still need to tweak the torque converter lock ups. As of now I'm allowing the TCM to apply gradual pressure as stock, but I need to give it a more on/off adjustment...it'll keep it cooler too.

Which I might add, using the stock trans cooler, in 80 weather with serious all over the place winds, factory clutch engine fan, lots of idle heat soaking, the trans didn't overheat a bit. Mind you this is after a 40hr, 3000 mile, straight across the country, 75mph + (100 in New Mexico ) carrying a FULL gear/luggage and three people. I'd still recommend a cooler upgrade, but the larger transmission body and fluid capacity came in handy.

I'm gonna spend some time to tune the ECM more when I get back home. Driving and other event details limited my time to only make adjustments for the CAI (so as not to go lean. Thanks Karch!) and throttle ramping to kick in Power Enrichment sooner.

Soo much information was gained...so there is SOOO much information to go through. And as I'm still on the road, have waiting orders to fulfill, the TBSS Northeast Regionals to prepare for, and personal matters to address once I get home...this will indeed be a challenge to get to my high standard of 'perfect'.

Last edited by TrueBlueGTO; 06-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

that poor driver was like WTF!! when u were trying to explain the tranny haha..
Old 06-04-2011, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Good read. Where'd this go down? El Toro?

Quick Reply: TBSS's gonna put the SMACK DOWN...uhm...DOWN!!!