THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

08 Malibu LTZ 3.6l engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6l engine problems

I bought this malibu brand new and around 17k miles it started consuming oil. I talking about 3qts every 3k miles. I take it in to a Arizona dealership and after 3 hours they couldnt find anything. I said even with it 3qts low. Nothing. So they went back and found the timing cover "leaking" even though it has dripping on my driveway. So after they "fix", I drive it another 3k miles and same thing again. Its 3qts low. Take it back in and they have me start a oil consumption test. I have to go through 100g of gas or 3k miles. I take it back in with it like 5g shy of 100. They check the oil and it is like 2.5qts low. They find that it has oil all in the air intake tube. So they clean it and find that I have a drop in kn&n filter. So they tell me it is getting blow by oil bc of the filter so I have to buy a factory filter and continue with the oil consumption test. With a stock filter it was still doing the same so they said they would have to keep tear it down to see what is causing the problem. Well I was leaving the states to go overseas so I couldnt leave the car with them bc I moved my family back to Texas. So after I leave my wife takes it in to a dealership there and the said I shouldnt of had to replace the air filter. They find that it has a bad timing chain or something like that. Not sure bc my wife was trying to tell me. She gets it back and now more than a week the car breaks down as she was turning into sonic. She tried to start it to get out of the way but it wouldnt stay running but she gets it out of the way of traffic and customers. Tow truck takes it back to the dealership and they find it spun #3 rod bearing so now we are waiting on parts to get it fixed. I know this is for trucks but since it is a gm I thought you guys might be able to help. Should I push for a buy back or something? I need some of your thoughts on the whole situation. Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OH man you are in for a treat with this one. Yes, I would do everything you can to get rid of that car. Those 3.6 motors are a piece of garbage. The biggest problem being they stretch timing chains and GM still hasn't figured out how to fix it. They also have problems with the cams walking in the head and tearing the heads up. My dad works at a dealer and he said there is always a car with the 3.6 being torn down for timing chains (this week alone they had 3 come in). It isn't vehicle specific either, they are having problems with any car that has that motor. Just google "GM 3.6L timing chain problem" and you'll find everything you never wanted to know.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
OH man you are in for a treat with this one. Yes, I would do everything you can to get rid of that car. Those 3.6 motors are a piece of garbage. The biggest problem being they stretch timing chains and GM still hasn't figured out how to fix it. They also have problems with the cams walking in the head and tearing the heads up. My dad works at a dealer and he said there is always a car with the 3.6 being torn down for timing chains (this week alone they had 3 come in). It isn't vehicle specific either, they are having problems with any car that has that motor. Just google "GM 3.6L timing chain problem" and you'll find everything you never wanted to know.
Does your dad think gm will buy it back? I have read up on it some and thats what has me worried. Plus I am 6500+ miles from home and so there isnt a whole lot I can do but I did call the dealership and the service manager was gone for the day. He is going to call me tomorrow. I hope I can get out of it bc I dont want my wife to be stranded with two lil ones. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In all honesty, I don't think they will buy it back just because they have to replace the engine or rebuild it. Yes, it is a big issue especially considering the low mileage but unless you can apply the Lemon Law then I'm not sure if there is anything you can do but to have them fix it. Unfortunately they are seeing this problem with cars that had perfect maintenance so even if you take real good care of it more than likely you'll have the timing chain stretch again.

The good thing is you have 100K mile warranty. If it were me, I would drive the car close to 100K then try to sell it or try to sell it right now and take a loss. You don't want to have that car when it goes out of warranty.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I kind of figured that all the will do is try and fix it but it has had multiply engine problems with it being in the shop atleast 3 times for oil consumption, then timing chain, and now rod bearings. I only have a little of a year one the warranty since it is 5yr/100k mile warranty and I am nowhere near that in milage and the all the maintenance has been through gm plus I kept all records on it so if anything bad came from this. They should just put a lsx in it for me and call it a day. lol
Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

I have a 2011 ltz Malibu. I never knew of this issue. Sucks to hear. Mine only has 2500 miles and I've had it 6-7 months lol. It's a weekend car when I'm home. It will probably get traded in on a new camaro SS before it reaches 10k miles lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by david068513
I have a 2011 ltz Malibu. I never knew of this issue. Sucks to hear. Mine only has 2500 miles and I've had it 6-7 months lol. It's a weekend car when I'm home. It will probably get traded in on a new camaro SS before it reaches 10k miles lol.
Well hopefully you dont have the luck I am having. It is with all the 3.6l motors so if yours is a 4cyl then you are good.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Nope mine is not lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Could be worse, I've seen 4 Acadia's throw rods through the block with that damn 3.6. They won't buy it back, get it fixed and trade the sucker in.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3.5 in my 08 Aura anyone heard of probs with that motor

Quick Reply: 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6l engine problems