THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

08 Malibu LTZ 3.6l engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
I have the 3.5 in my 08 Aura anyone heard of probs with that motor
I'm a full time Gm tech here in Colorado, the 3.5 is a pretty good motor, they had a batch of them with head gasket leaks but other than that I've only seen one throw a rod in the last year, its just a updated version of the 3.1s and 3.4s. Now the 3.6l dohc motor is junk lol, tons of problems, i put heads, cams and timing chains on these all day! They leak oil from everywhere because they just basically glued the engine together with GMS silicone lol, timing chains stretch, cams trash the heads, valve sealing problems which cause misfires, multiple water pump failures, the list goes on lol. They are a PITA to work on too, pretty much anything you do requires the engine to be dropped out the bottom! And wait till the wave plate fails in the trans lol, any trans parts i order for the 3.6l cars/suvs have china on them . I would not buy one and i hate to say that because im a GM man but it is what it is! I would call your district GM rep. and tell him all the problems your having and make them put a new long block in it. No way it will ever be the same if you don't!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foxer which trans are we taking about here and which clutch pack? I might be able to help you out here.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
I have the 3.5 in my 08 Aura anyone heard of probs with that motor
It should have the 3.6 in it. They are having alot of timing chains stretching and the transmissions are having trouble too. You might be lucky with yours. Hopefully you dont have the trouble I am having.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 89LS1FOXER
I'm a full time Gm tech here in Colorado, the 3.5 is a pretty good motor, they had a batch of them with head gasket leaks but other than that I've only seen one throw a rod in the last year, its just a updated version of the 3.1s and 3.4s. Now the 3.6l dohc motor is junk lol, tons of problems, i put heads, cams and timing chains on these all day! They leak oil from everywhere because they just basically glued the engine together with GMS silicone lol, timing chains stretch, cams trash the heads, valve sealing problems which cause misfires, multiple water pump failures, the list goes on lol. They are a PITA to work on too, pretty much anything you do requires the engine to be dropped out the bottom! And wait till the wave plate fails in the trans lol, any trans parts i order for the 3.6l cars/suvs have china on them . I would not buy one and i hate to say that because im a GM man but it is what it is! I would call your district GM rep. and tell him all the problems your having and make them put a new long block in it. No way it will ever be the same if you don't!
Thanks for the info man. Do you think the will do a buy back?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

They aren't gonna buy it back you can forget that. Way more stuff has to have issues for them to buy it back. Sorry but it's true.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by david068513
They aren't gonna buy it back you can forget that. Way more stuff has to have issues for them to buy it back. Sorry but it's true.
Yeah thats probably true but damn how much has to go go with. Its been in the shop 5-6 times for something with the motor.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Not even close to enough. They will replace the motor and send you on your merry way. You have to have way more issues then just a motor. Pretty much everything else has to break or fall apart.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Just talked to gm service manager and they said that it has to be in for the same problem more and in a 90 day time frame but they did say they would give me a $2k gm loyalty bonus toward another vehhicle so atleast they are trying.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slo-rod
Just talked to gm service manager and they said that it has to be in for the same problem more and in a 90 day time frame but they did say they would give me a $2k gm loyalty bonus toward another vehhicle so atleast they are trying.
That just means they charge you 2 grand more before they take it off lol. I got in my last night to move it. It has 2700 miles on it lmao.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by david068513
That just means they charge you 2 grand more before they take it off lol. I got in my last night to move it. It has 2700 miles on it lmao.
Yeah they prbably will try something like that. I also get a GM Military Discount too. So thats like another 2-3k off.

Quick Reply: 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6l engine problems