THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee problems

My mom has a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 liter inline 6 cyl in it, she replaced the battery because her husband thought it was bad since it was dead a few days in a row. well, it didnt solve her problem, the battery still dies the instant you shut the engine off and you have to jump start it with another vehicle. when you do get it running it seems to run fine, gauge shows that the alternator is charging normally then it randomly pegs high but continues to run normally.

has anyone had a problem like this before? the only thing i can think it could be is a short in the starter or alternator but none of the wires or battery cables get hot. maybe a bad battery, idk.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Try jumping it only using the ground from the cables
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you jump it, are you connecting the cables to the battery terminals, or placing the ground on the engine? If it is showing proper voltage when it is running, I would assume that the charging system is working properly. When you try to start it, it places a large load on the system, and if there were a bad connection like a corroded cable, it might not transfer the power.

Here is what I would do. Check the voltage of the battery with the engine off. You should be around 14.7 volts or so. If it is too low, charge the battery. I would start it, and check the voltage. It should still be around 14.7. If it is low it is not charging properly. If the voltages are fine, and not starting, it is a connection (because you said it will start with a jump, indicating the starter is working properly). If everything is fine, but the battery is dead the next morning, there is a draw in the system somewhere when it is parked. The easiest way to find this is by charging the battery, and unhooking a terminal. Place a test light on the unhooked terminal, and the other end of the test light on the cable that was unhooked from the terminal. It will light up if there is a draw. Remove a fuse one by one until the light goes out, and you have located what is drawing your battery down. In order to do this, everything must be off, key out of the ignition, doors closed, and if there is a hood light, you need to unplug it. HTH
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
When you jump it, are you connecting the cables to the battery terminals, or placing the ground on the engine? If it is showing proper voltage when it is running, I would assume that the charging system is working properly. When you try to start it, it places a large load on the system, and if there were a bad connection like a corroded cable, it might not transfer the power.

Here is what I would do. Check the voltage of the battery with the engine off. You should be around 14.7 volts or so. If it is too low, charge the battery. I would start it, and check the voltage. It should still be around 14.7. If it is low it is not charging properly. If the voltages are fine, and not starting, it is a connection (because you said it will start with a jump, indicating the starter is working properly). If everything is fine, but the battery is dead the next morning, there is a draw in the system somewhere when it is parked. The easiest way to find this is by charging the battery, and unhooking a terminal. Place a test light on the unhooked terminal, and the other end of the test light on the cable that was unhooked from the terminal. It will light up if there is a draw. Remove a fuse one by one until the light goes out, and you have located what is drawing your battery down. In order to do this, everything must be off, key out of the ignition, doors closed, and if there is a hood light, you need to unplug it. HTH

I know you meant to say this, but with the engine off the voltage should be ~12.8 not 14.7 And in my experience most charging systems run between 13.8-14.4

Last edited by 00ChevyScott; 11-27-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would have checked the voltage if i would have had a multimeter with me and i didnt think about trying to jump it with just the ground cables, maybe ill head back out there wednesday and try a few more things. thanks for the suggestions