THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

2008 Springfield XD's

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmann

While th 1911's are tried and true I would also say the XD's are almost just as tried and true even for the short time they have been available. I have yet to see one report of a misfire or other problem with and XD.
+1
the xd's are DAMN good guns and have been proven time and time again. my has been FLAWLESS. xd's and 1911's aren't even comparable, it's 2 totally different ballgames. carry the xds (and the like) and keep the 1911's in the safe

also like mentioned above, check out xdtalk dot com, lots of great peeps over there and loads of info
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hirdlej
If this is your first handgun purchase, I recommend getting something that has some nostalgia towards it along with history. You may find yourself getting bored with modern "plastic" guns I call them as they look like toys. My next rifle is either going to be a M1A (civilian model M14) or a M1 Garand. That .45 cal 1911 will put a smile on your face everytime and destroy any target you hit. People have been known to take down grizzly bears with 1911's when caught offguard (not hunting). Moses Browning would be proud
NEVER...I love the .45acp and have nothing but the highest regard for J. Browning but never, never, never would I attempt to shoot a bear with a .45acp. A projectile traveling as slow as the .45 would most likely cause a bear to take that pistol and shove it up your @ss!

I am buying this gun to be a carry weapon. I really like the 1911's, but I think they are a little big for a carry gun. I don't really have a problem not having the safety, but on the other hand it would be a nice addition to have. I think there is a gun show this weekend so I may go look and see what is there and also check some local places. If I don't find what I want I may just wait until the 2008's come out.

While th 1911's are tried and true I would also say the XD's are almost just as tried and true even for the short time they have been available. I have yet to see one report of a misfire or other problem with and XD.
1911A1 is too heavy and too big, you are correct. Go for the XD. I have never met anyone who owned an XD who wanted to get rid of it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I am buying this gun to be a carry weapon. I really like the 1911's, but I think they are a little big for a carry gun. I don't really have a problem not having the safety, but on the other hand it would be a nice addition to have. I think there is a gun show this weekend so I may go look and see what is there and also check some local places. If I don't find what I want I may just wait until the 2008's come out.

I have had 3 XD's, I had a chance to get a Kimber Ultra

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...ltracovert.php

I traded my XD40 sub-compact for it. I like the ultra for carrying alot more. It is thinner and lighter weight.

If you want an XD, I say go for it. Cabelas has the used for cheap, I wouldnt pay what they are asking for them new these days. When I bought my first XD I paid 419 if I remember right. The xd40 I had is going for almost 600.

Another great carry gun is the Taurus millienum pro's. I picked up a PT-138 Pro .380 for 200.00 brand new. I have shot the 9mm and .45 in that gun too. They have a lifetime warranty, and shoot pretty damn nice.

Last edited by 1FUNZ71; 01-29-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by trever1t
NEVER...I love the .45acp and have nothing but the highest regard for J. Browning but never, never, never would I attempt to shoot a bear with a .45acp. A projectile traveling as slow as the .45 would most likely cause a bear to take that pistol and shove it up your @ss! :
.45 LC, yes will take a bear down no problem, .45ACP you are going to die, unless you get a lucky shot.

XD45 Service

.45 ................................ 45-70GOVT, thats a knock down .45 round.

Originally Posted by trever1t
1911A1 is too heavy and too big, you are correct. Go for the XD. I have never met anyone who owned an XD who wanted to get rid of it.
The compacts are lightweight and comfy. I got rid of my 3 XD's, but only because I upgraded.

The XD IMO is the best all round auto you can buy.

Last edited by 1FUNZ71; 01-29-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
I have had 3 XD's, I had a chance to get a Kimber Ultra
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...ltracovert.php
Suggested Retail price $1500
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like there is a small gun show going on this weekend. Guess I'll go look and see what I can fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Suggested Retail price $1500
got mine for 800.00
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

That's not bad.. Still more than I want to spend right now though. It does look like a really nice gun.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
14 Second Truck Club

That's not bad.. Still more than I want to spend right now though. It does look like a really nice gun.
I love it. You cant go wrong with a XD. IMO get the XD45 compact. 4in barrel, short grip, so it conceals easy and you retain accuracy.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=111

Or the 5in
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=146
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it took me a few extra months, (mostly due to the tax man and needing to get those taxes paid before spending money on other things) but I finally got my XD. I chose to get an XD40 service 4". Paid $474 out the door for it new. Now I just need to get my ccw license. I probably won't carry all the time, but it will be nice to have a little piece if mind for the times I go places that may require.

What do you guys recommend for a good conceal holster, keeping in mind that I'm 6' tall and 130lbs so true concealment is difficult for me without wearing a coat...

Quick Reply: 2008 Springfield XD's