THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

2008 Springfield XD's

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not be worried at all about not having a thumb safety. The only way you are going to fire an XD is you intend to or are just ignorant. Hopefully you arent ignorant if you are wanting to get a CHL. I remember you are close to my size aka skinny as hell, I have a 40 sc XD with small of back holster and you cant even see it with just a tshirt on. I highly recommend it, I have close to 3000 rounds through my XD now with no problems, it has gotten a smoother action after about 1000 rounds. Recoil is nice and you cant beat it for the price. Sure there are better pistols out there but you will pay 2-3 times the price.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thumb safety should be personal preference. I wanted one, so I bought the H&K USP .40 Compact because it's the only gun that I liked that had one available. I wanted to carry "cocked and locked" and didn't like the idea of just a passive safety. I know several people who carry M&Ps and XDs with just the trigger or grip safeties, and they don't have a problem with them. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I have two XD's and love both of them, I also have a couple 1911's and they are great as well but they are a bit big and heavy for CC IMO.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had already decided that I didn't need the extra safety. I am now wondering about brands of holsters you guys like. I got the 4" service model this time, but I may buy a sub-compact later on down the road. I'm also looking for a cheap .22 revolver, for shooting varmints and cheap target plinking, if anyone has any suggestions on a good one of those.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB per recommendation of someone else on the board. It is very comfortable and conceals well.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html
Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear comptac makes a good IWB holster.

for a .22LR pistol for varmints and the like, id say go with a ruger single six for a revolver as it comes with .22LR and .22WMR cylinders. for a pistol, id go with a ruger 22/45 mark III or a walther p22. my buddy has a 22/45 and that thing is soo sweet to shoot and VERY accurate.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool Good suggestions guys. I knew about the crossbreed holsters and have seen good reviews, but it is always good to hear about others too.

Good looking options on the .22's also. I'm looking to get a revolver because I have some rat shot to shoot squirrels in the attic and most autos won't cycle with the low power of those shells. I've been using it in one of my marlin/glenfield .22 rifles now and they won't cycle.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunder550
I bought the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB per recommendation of someone else on the board. It is very comfortable and conceals well.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

I have a .40 Service model XD and a .40 Subcompact XD. I CCW the Subcompact in the above Crossbreed Supertuck and shoot competitions with the service model. I love them both, i keep the SC on me and the Service in the truck or nightstand.
I have about 8-9k rounds through the Service model and prob 1500 through the SC. they do smooth out after about 1000 rounds.

I wouldnt think twice with either of these pistols.
I believe the Service model actually saved mine and my buddys life one night.

theres the link to my story..
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...light=attacked

Last edited by nonnieselman; 04-09-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I remember reading that story. Hopefully I never have to deal with a situation like that, but if it ever comes up I plan to be ready. I was in debate between getting the SC or the Service model to start with. Eventually I would like to have both just have to save up some more money.

Another question for you; will that holster work with either the service model or the SC or is it specific to one or the other?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckmann
I remember reading that story. Hopefully I never have to deal with a situation like that, but if it ever comes up I plan to be ready. I was in debate between getting the SC or the Service model to start with. Eventually I would like to have both just have to save up some more money.

Another question for you; will that holster work with either the service model or the SC or is it specific to one or the other?
For CCW.. id suggest the SC... it shoots great! and yes holsters work with both..

Quick Reply: 2008 Springfield XD's