THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

54.5 MPG by 2025?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Yeah don't get me wrong fossil fuels still have some life in them but were talking modest improvements at best. I read an interesting article yesterday about using gasoline in a diesel engine
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously, why is everyone opposed to getting some damn solar panels and wind turbines on their roofs and using that to power their plug-ins? With the damn heat and winds in the southwest we could power our little daily commuters easily and then use your gas guzzling pigs for towing or cross country drives.
That's what I'm doing with my next place at least. I'm done with people fighting over 1mpg when we waste Millions of gallons in wars, shipping, racing, power productions, etc...
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Personally, I think the future is in hydrogen for a long term solution.

Plug in vehicles once we update our power grid will be a more long term option. Nuclear will have to become much more prevalent as its really the only power source that is "renewable" and has a high enough yield to be commercially viable without a bunch of government subsidies. We haven't had a new nuclear plant built since the early 80s because the NRC wouldn't release any licenses for new construction. Only for additional reactors, that has changed now and many plants are drawn, just going through the financial channels now. My parents will be starting a new 3 unit plant next year, and for a construction geek like me they're pretty cool. You'd be surprised how safe such a massive project can be.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 AM
GFYS and STFU

I'm a huge proponent of Nuclear power plants. And if there is one good thing about France (aside from the women, food, geography, etc... ) Is that they are 85-90% Nuclear. Kinda bummed me out the effect the japanese Tsunami had on the perception of Nuclear power plants world wide. Just sad.

Cody, are your parents building a nuclear power plant...is that what you said?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Nuclear wins. People's opinions are too easily swayed by lobbyists. Bunch of 'sheeple' voting for the wrong **** lol... An unavoidable problem is lack of capital for such energy investments, though. Its not cheap to convert to solar or build a nuclear power plant. Good things don't come easy.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I'm a huge proponent of Nuclear power plants. And if there is one good thing about France (aside from the women, food, geography, etc... ) Is that they are 85-90% Nuclear. Kinda bummed me out the effect the japanese Tsunami had on the perception of Nuclear power plants world wide. Just sad.

Cody, are your parents building a nuclear power plant...is that what you said?
Yes, they're in the nuclear industry. They just finished a uranium enrichment facility in Hobbs, NM. It'll take the raw uranium and purify it so that it can be used to make the fuel rods. Pretty cool ****, and its the only one in the US of its kind. Up until now they've just done additions and renovations but now that the NRC has released a bunch of unit licenses there should be a few new plants pop up in the next decade.
Originally Posted by smokeshow
Nuclear wins. People's opinions are too easily swayed by lobbyists. Bunch of 'sheeple' voting for the wrong **** lol... An unavoidable problem is lack of capital for such energy investments, though. Its not cheap to convert to solar or build a nuclear power plant. Good things don't come easy.
There are SO many things wrong with the plant in Japan. When I'm not on my phone I'll post up some info from a buddy of mine who is an operator at the Browns Ferry nuclear plant in Alabama. Basically what happened there wouldn't have done anything catastrophic to the US versions of that reactor.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I only read what I was fed by the media, but there were claims that the emergency diesels that ran the cooling system had been dead for years lol... Thats what happens when you don't have American regulations keeping **** in check. We learned our lesson after 3 mile island...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes, they're an amazing technology but they most definitely require strong government oversight to make sure no corners are cut. It is pretty cool looking into the reactor pool, looks like regular swimming pool water but its not
Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Yes, they're an amazing technology but they most definitely require strong government oversight to make sure no corners are cut. It is pretty cool looking into the reactor pool, looks like regular swimming pool water but its not
have you been swimming in the water again????

Good friend of mine works at the Nuclear power plant here, get to hear some crazy stories.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
have you been swimming in the water again????

Good friend of mine works at the Nuclear power plant here, get to hear some crazy stories.
In for crazy stories

Quick Reply: 54.5 MPG by 2025?