THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!
View Poll Results: Which one would you want to roll in?
Buick Grand National, Turbo 3.8L V6 RWD
45.45%
Buick Regal T-type, GN dressed as a regular Regal, 3.8L V6 Turbo
7.27%
Pontiac Turbo T/A, GN heart in a T/A body, 3.8L Turbo V6
5.45%
GMC Syclone, Turbo 4.3L V6 AWD S-10 truck
20.00%
GMC Typhoon, Syclone wrapped in Blazer, 4.3L V6 Turbo AWD
14.55%
Ford SVO Mustang, Turbo 2.3L 4-banger
1.82%
Ford Turbocoupe/T-bird, SVO Mustang wrapped in a t-bird
3.64%
Other
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Which American Turbo Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, its close between the GNX and the Cyclone, both are so rare and so awesome..But then again, there so 80's . I went for a ride in a 86 GNX with a 60mm turbo and about 30k into it..scared the **** outa me. I really cant decide between the 2
Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grand National FTW!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00silverad0
Damn, its close between the GNX and the Cyclone, both are so rare and so awesome..But then again, there so 80's . I went for a ride in a 86 GNX with a 60mm turbo and about 30k into it..scared the **** outa me. I really cant decide between the 2

First of all you could not have possably had a ride in an 86 GNX because they didn't make the GNX until 87.

I have an 87 Regal Limited Turbo-T, which is what they officially called the turbo regals in 87, before that they were T-Type. Mine is very rare as it is a Limited and has leather, no official production numbers but with the color and leather combo maybe 5 or so around?

Anyway as for the poll, Turbo Regal all the way!! minor bolt ons and hello 11's with traction. Love the Syclone as well!! Both were way ahead of there time as performance and technology go.

Don't mean to be a dick about the GNX thing but there is a big difference between a regular GN and a GNX.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

GNX's are out of the question for me anyway since I wouldn't really drive one if I could own/afford one. I couldn't drive a car that's so rare with all the retards on I-10 or through traffic. Besides they either have under 30,000mi or they're drag cars.

I'm surprised that the GN is overwhelmingly more popular than the Sy/Tys since this is a truck site. The prices are right for the Typhoons right now. They're by far the cheapest and most available around here.

I like the sleeper-ness of the turbo Regals, but I didn't realize how rare and hard they are to find. There aren't any in my area that seem to be worth a ****. I worry if I park a GN somewhere people will **** with it, because everybody knows what it is. Plus I don't want to have to race somebody at every stoplight. With a turbo Regal I could get all the GN perks but it would be less obvious.

The results for the Fords doesn't surprise me. I would imagine they would have very little low end compared to the GM cars, which is not fun on the street.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Import Moderator

GNX FTMFW

glad to see you got the poll working
Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not too many "kids" know what a Ty is either. When I took it out, no body really knew what the hell it was. Once the 30+ year olds saw it, they knew. It was deffinately fun doing a boosted launch and showing the "new" sport compacts what a 16 year old Jimmy can do. I will take the AWD turbo Sy/Ty with the GN a close 2nd.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

GN. Had one - loved it - wish I had another. But don't bother if you don't want attention!

Also had *TWO* stolen - living in apartments at the time. The cop that came to write the report on the second one told me "Yeah, we've been watching that one at night - we knew it was gonna get stolen."

My response was "Well where the hell were you LAST night?!"
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jknox
Also had *TWO* stolen - living in apartments at the time. The cop that came to write the report on the second one told me "Yeah, we've been watching that one at night - we knew it was gonna get stolen."

My response was "Well where the hell were you LAST night?!"
Hearing this doesn't make me feel very good about leaving one at my gf's apt. where I got my truck broken into. I live in Mexico, so pretty much everything gets stolen here.

Does anybody have any reliabilty input? It seems like these cars are all pretty reliable having factory boosted motors. But then again high mileage ones are only at 150K miles. I know 80's and early 90's cars had shitty plastic interiors, so that's to be expected.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Hearing this doesn't make me feel very good about leaving one at my gf's apt. where I got my truck broken into. I live in Mexico, so pretty much everything gets stolen here.

Does anybody have any reliabilty input? It seems like these cars are all pretty reliable having factory boosted motors. But then again high mileage ones are only at 150K miles. I know 80's and early 90's cars had shitty plastic interiors, so that's to be expected.
The first one was never found (that I know of). The second one they found 3 weeks later in Altamont, TN (car theft capital). the fsckng theives were using it as their runner car every night. Finally the cops got them on a chase where they tried to go down a dirt road and shoved a stick into one of the rear tires. When the cops pulled up to it it was just sitting in the woods with the motor idling - never caught the bastards.

It was *trashed*. The police offered to make it disappear for another week so that insurance would pay off on it (needed to be missing for 4 weeks) and then they would turn it into a chase car. Should took 'em up on it but I loved it too much. Things I remember being wrong: driver's side mirror had been clipped off by a tree in the chase. Exhaust was bent up on the side with the blown tire. No other panels dented, but scratched up everywhere. The interior was far worse. There were intentional cigarette burns in the dash and seats (like the three evenly-spaced burns in the dash just over the radio). 3rd brake light was knocked out. Brake-light switch was yanked. Steering column was broken open of course. Still ran fine, which was scary seeing as they had actually yanked the air filter and were running it open.

It spent the next 3 months at the dealer. Insurance ended up paying about $8K (in '88 dollars) putting it back together. Never was completely right after that - fitment issues mainly. Shortly after that I had a bad run of luck and ended up having to use it for my DD with just enough pay to make ends meet. But I ended up putting 170K miles on it after that (when it was stolen it had 3K on the clock) and only had 2 real problems - a shift valve stuck in the transmission (fixed under warranty) and had bearings fail in the diff. And I was none too gentle of a driver, either.

So I'd give it a thumbs-up on reliability. The engines are damn-near bullet-proof as long as you stay sane on the boost levels (keep it under 20psi please). They did need fuel system upgrades right out of the box - they'd run out of pump waaaaay too easy, and just like our trucks the tranny is weak if you intend to build.

But I'll probably never own another flashy vehicle because of it. After I got it back, it never saw that apartment complex again. It stayed at my parents until I moved away from there. And today something like it would get stolen out of my parking lot at work... I'm going for sleeper with the truck.

But oh, how it drew the looks...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven every one of the vehicles on that list at one time or another. My favorite would deffinitly be the Turbo T/A. It had the best combo of handling, burnout ability, and straight line performance for me.

Quick Reply: Which American Turbo Car?