THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

any handgun shooters on here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Evil, nice collection. That 1913 is a Colt, right? Does the S&W 325PD kick a bit cause it's so lite? I was just checkin it on online after I posted; not a cheap unit for sure. Also, that Raptor is a real beauty. Features for the money, I don't think a Kimber can be beat. If my next pc. isn't a 870, it'll prolly be another Kimber but a fullsize. The Ultra is designed for compactness, but the fullsize will fit my hand better.
the pd does kick a bit...but not as much as the beretta long colt...hahaha
i like the single action ruger .45 better..longer barrel helps.

yes, the raptor is quite nice...full size of course.

the 1911 is a colt .45....originally bought in chicago in 1913.

one of my favorites in the whole lot is the CZ97b .45 all metal 10rd ....awesome gun.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
the 1911 is a colt .45....originally bought in chicago in 1913.
That's a cool piece of history there.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why do folks want .50 cal pistols? whats the point? why pay so much more for something that is so unnecessary in a defense setting... a .40S&W or .45 ACP are much more than perfect for that need... .50 or .44 mag and all those "exotic" calibers are just status stuff in my opinion...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin00SS

10mm is expensive to own and shoot but a good bit more powerful than 9mm from what I'm reading.
full power 10mm loads are significantly more powerful than .45 ACP let alone 9mm. I had several people coming over to stall #8 today trying to figure out what "hand cannon" was going off
Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

10mm is a very good round, but typically hard to find compared to any other common carry caliber such as .380, 9, 40, 45. The 45 round is good but lacks in trajectory and runs out of steam fast. The 9 while being a fairly inexpensive round offer's more than enough "put down power" while giving you the range needed for the job. But by far the .40 is the superior round to carry, ammo is easily found anywhere in the country, will shoot faster and further, with typically better accuracy then .45's and 9's. The technology of today offer's bullet's that are far superior to what there was even 5 years ago. Anything will stop the threat, it just comes down the the operator and what they are prepared/trained to do in any given situation.

My preferred carry gun- glock 27 or XDSC9
It doesnt matter if the 124 grain or the 165 grain bullet's hit their mark, its game over!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
full power 10mm loads are significantly more powerful than .45 ACP let alone 9mm. ...
Noah Burns, I don't think everyone that buys a .50 is using it for defense. Could go hunting...wabbbits. Ahhahaha <---Elmer Fudd voice. I agree w/. your "status" comment. I too am more of a advocate for a .45, .357, or a .40. Just cause I don't own a .40, I know they're effective.

Michael, 10 > 9mm really?
See my comment below.

Originally Posted by sonoma43
10mm is a very good round, but typically hard to find compared to any other common carry caliber such as .380, 9, 40, 45. The 45 round is good but lacks in trajectory and runs out of steam fast. The 9 while being a fairly inexpensive round offer's more than enough "put down power" while giving you the range needed for the job. But by far the .40 is the superior round to carry, ammo is easily found anywhere in the country, will shoot faster and further, with typically better accuracy then .45's and 9's. The technology of today offer's bullet's that are far superior to what there was even 5 years ago. ...
True, 10mm ammo is hard to find, so that's why it's also $$. I wouldn't even buy a 9mm or .380. If given either, I'd sell it. I was told by a former soldier, 10mm came out after the Miami shootout. It was to give cops more firepower than the 9mm. Problem was, it was a lot to handle, esp. for female cops. IIRC, .40 was the answer. Anyway, said the 10mm packed the most handgun punch. While I haven't shot everything, I've shot the "old" bruiser, the .44. It's too much. If I had my choice, I'd take a .45, .357, .40 or a 10mm for HD. Unless your house is a mile long, I don't think trajectory will factor in most home situations.

Just throwin this out there for those w/. more knowledge on this specific subject: What is the average distance a homeowner faces in a defense situation?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Truck Sponsor

I LOVE going to the range. Have a few handguns/shotguns/rifles, but my fav is the P226.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
full power 10mm loads are significantly more powerful than .45 ACP let alone 9mm. I had several people coming over to stall #8 today trying to figure out what "hand cannon" was going off

Id take a .40 over a 10mm anyday.. Power means nothing, The follow up shot is what counts.
I have a XD Subcompact 40 that i carry everyday, and a XD Service model that i shoot competition with.

I perfer the XD over the glock, Not because its "better" but because it points natural and is comfortable to shoot.

Last ICORE match i shot in had an array of targets, 3 to the left and 3 to the right 10yds in front of a 3' wide barricade 2 shots per target and a mandantory reload behind the barricade. i averaged 6.1 seconds with all hits in the "A", Lets see you do that with the "full power 10mm"
Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Id take a .40 over a 10mm anyday.. Power means nothing, The follow up shot is what counts.
I have a XD Subcompact 40 that i carry everyday, and a XD Service model that i shoot competition with.

I perfer the XD over the glock, Not because its "better" but because it points natural and is comfortable to shoot.

Last ICORE match i shot in had an array of targets, 3 to the left and 3 to the right 10yds in front of a 3' wide barricade 2 shots per target and a mandantory reload behind the barricade. i averaged 6.1 seconds with all hits in the "A", Lets see you do that with the "full power 10mm"
Jonathan, I was wonderin when you'd chime in. Repeatability or the followup shot would be my concern if I had to use more than 1 shot. I look at stopping power, accurracy, & that "control" or comin back on point. After my 1st handgun, a fullsize Colt .45, my bro & I rented 2 guns. He wanted to try a .44 I forgot how long barrel was, & I wanted to buy a .357, so I rented a 2 1/2" .357. Zowsa, seemed like that short .357 kicked on par w/. the longer .44. That flip was enuff for me to bypass the 2 1/2" cause I was thinkin of it for carry eventually. I got a .357 686 S&W w/. a 4" barrel. Uses the larger frame & it's accurate.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoma43
10mm is a very good round, but typically hard to find compared to any other common carry caliber such as .380, 9, 40, 45. The 45 round is good but lacks in trajectory and runs out of steam fast. The 9 while being a fairly inexpensive round offer's more than enough "put down power" while giving you the range needed for the job. But by far the .40 is the superior round to carry, ammo is easily found anywhere in the country, will shoot faster and further, with typically better accuracy then .45's and 9's. The technology of today offer's bullet's that are far superior to what there was even 5 years ago. Anything will stop the threat, it just comes down the the operator and what they are prepared/trained to do in any given situation.

My preferred carry gun- glock 27 or XDSC9
It doesnt matter if the 124 grain or the 165 grain bullet's hit their mark, its game over!

Agreed 100%(besides your fav carry guns) This is often a subject that comes up with rifle ammo, with my buddies.. A few of them are all about these crazy calibers.. 25-06, 280 8mm ect.. While I like my .308 or 30-06 round.. It might not be the flattest or be the fastest shooting rounds, but it has more then proven it self at what it can do, amm in that cal are just about everywhere..

Quick Reply: any handgun shooters on here?