THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

any handgun shooters on here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Id take a .40 over a 10mm anyday.. Power means nothing, The follow up shot is what counts.
I have a XD Subcompact 40 that i carry everyday, and a XD Service model that i shoot competition with.

I perfer the XD over the glock, Not because its "better" but because it points natural and is comfortable to shoot.

Last ICORE match i shot in had an array of targets, 3 to the left and 3 to the right 10yds in front of a 3' wide barricade 2 shots per target and a mandantory reload behind the barricade. i averaged 6.1 seconds with all hits in the "A", Lets see you do that with the "full power 10mm"

I have an XD40 service model as well, I have shot it and the glock 22 and 23 at the range before i bought the xd, like it over the glock just because it felt more natural in my hand. Nothing against the glock, just felt better with the XD, and it shoots awesome and drops back on target very naturally. However, I usually carry my S&W snubnose model 36 38sp, it has plenty of power, and easily to conceal. I feel some people forget that for "defense" you will almost automatically go to jail if you shoot someone more than 20yds away. I don't feel you need 100yard accuracy and power for conceal and carry. My 38spcl will easily drop someone from a reasonable distance.
Just my 2 cents though.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeyc125
...I feel some people forget that for "defense" you will almost automatically go to jail if you shoot someone more than 20yds away. I don't feel you need 100yard accuracy and power for conceal and carry. ...
I'd never heard the +20YDs = almost automatic jail. So if it ever happens, run closer to em, at least < 20.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Thats pretty much the just of it, not a written rule, but they figure if you are that far away, you have other options. Here in mn anyways, shooting someone is absolute last resort, you cannot have any option to run, hide, etc... Even if someone breaks into your house, you pretty much can only shoot them if you are cornered and not able to do anything else. Man I wish i lived in texas...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

fastnblu- the average distance of an encounter in the home they say is typically 7 feet. I would say 10-15 feet would be more realistic however it just depends on the layout of the home.
For some of you guys that like to carry .38's or anything under the 9mm caliber, a lot of shootouts have proven that the .380's and such dont penetrate the jackets of today such as carhartt and denim like material that is worn often by the people who we try to stop. Even with today's ammunition it still takes a hint of power behind that hollow point to penetrate thick clothing and the possibility of glass or any other obstruction.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guarandamntee these .40 corbons are going through a carhart jacket, a spleen, and anything else in the way!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple words for ya..

Training, Pratice, And shoot stuff to see what the bullet does.
The Hornady XTPs i load have plenty of umph after it goes thru some clothing
Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

anyone have the ruger LCP? how do yall like it? looking for a carry weapon, not a target gun.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate Ruger. Springfield XD subcompact 9mm or a glock 26 9mm is a great CCW choice. Check out the Kahr selection as well.

I personally like .45 and .40s&w. Im not a fan of the .380 round or anything under the 9mm. I agree with Sonoma43. Yes hitting your target is one thing, but if in your home where you could be within feet of an attacker or in a struggle for your life, you might not have the chance to be able to precisely aim and have to settle to point and shoot and your attacker might not get taken down from a body shot from such round and still be able to attack you.

I have no problems getting multiple shots off at the range on a target with my 45.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
I hate Ruger. Springfield XD subcompact 9mm or a glock 26 9mm is a great CCW choice. Check out the Kahr selection as well.

I personally like .45 and .40s&w. Im not a fan of the .380 round or anything under the 9mm. I agree with Sonoma43. Yes hitting your target is one thing, but if in your home where you could be within feet of an attacker or in a struggle for your life, you might not have the chance to be able to precisely aim and have to settle to point and shoot and your attacker might not get taken down from a body shot from such round and still be able to attack you.

I have no problems getting multiple shots off at the range on a target with my 45.
i have a few rugers and love them. great guns for the price.

im also looking at the LCP as a CARRY WEAPON. in my crib when i dont have to lug it around i keep a big boy gun. the lcp is comfortable and easily conceilable.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i have a few rugers and love them. great guns for the price.

im also looking at the LCP as a CARRY WEAPON. in my crib when i dont have to lug it around i keep a big boy gun. the lcp is comfortable and easily conceilable.
I hate ruger for their anti 2nd amendment stance (aka Bill Ruger) and the fact that a SR9 i once had was a big pile of sh*t.

Don't forget to check out the Kahr's. They are good guns for the price and very subcompact!

Quick Reply: any handgun shooters on here?